DC Comics has announced a new Justice League of America series that will be part of the New 52 written by Geoff Johns, with art by David Finch.

“This is a very different kind of team book,” says Geoff Johns. “On first glance, people might think the heroes of the JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA stand in the shadows of Superman, Wonder Woman and the rest of the JUSTICE LEAGUE, but Green Arrow, Katana, Martian Manhunter, the new Green Lantern, Stargirl, Vibe, Hawkman and Catwoman thrive in the shadows. They’re underdogs who have everything to prove and something to lose. They’re a team of unlikely heroes who will help one another discover they’re as A-List as anybody — yes, even Vibe. Though getting there won’t be easy. Why they’re formed, why each member joins, what they’re after and who the society of villains is they’re trying to take apart will all be clear in the first issue when it hits early 2013. David and I are really focused on delving deep into what it’s like to not be a member of the big seven and why, sometimes, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.”

This is an ongoing series that arrives in 2013.  Note that it is not the same as Justice League, which will continue.

Some will wonder if DC really should be launching another Justice League title so soon into the New 52, but this may be a great way to open the DCnU and explain what has been going on.  We already know that Team 7 explores the time leading up to the appearance of the Justice League, and from the quote above, it looks like DC is also exploring the world that has to cope with demigods running around smashing things.  I’m on board for at least the first issue – though I’m not super excited about the line up, and we’ll leave the comment section open for your thoughts and reactions.

via DC Comics

6th Annual Major Spoilers Costume Contest

TOP FIVE #27: Favorite Drinks

1. Kevin Kortekaas
    August 27, 2012 at 9:02 am — Reply

I really enjoy Martian Manhunter so seeing more of him can never be a bad thing in my book.

2. August 27, 2012 at 9:29 am — Reply

Curious about why Katana is there – does this mean that Birds of Prey is going to end? I’ve been enjoying it, so it’d be a disappointment to see it go away.

• websnap
      August 27, 2012 at 10:26 am — Reply

doubt it, she’s probably just leaving the team

3. August 27, 2012 at 9:31 am — Reply

It will be interesting to see how this develop’s Martian Manhunter’s past in the 52. From “Stormwatch” we’ve seen that he has some secret mission that involves him becoming involved with super teams and then leaving them after “preparing” them. Catwoman in a Justice Leauge team? About time!

4. George
    August 27, 2012 at 9:34 am — Reply

Martian Manhunter is always a good choice for the JLA, same with Hawkman, Green Arrow and some verison of a Green Lantern…but the rest? Just seem kinda “Why?” and not in a I’m curious kind of way?

5. Allen2Saint
    August 27, 2012 at 9:37 am — Reply

A potentially interesting chapter until the inevitable return to the classic incarnation.

6. August 27, 2012 at 10:20 am — Reply

Glad to see Stargirl. I’m wondering what they’ll do with her origin, post-52.

7. JoeM
    August 27, 2012 at 10:35 am — Reply

Just because I look at this kind of thing, I’m looking at the flag in the background. It looks like it has 35 stars (5 rows x 7 columns with 9 stripes.) I know it’s probably just the artist not being detail oriented, but it gets me thinking about what the geopolitical boundaries are in the new52 and just how different they are from real world and pre-new52.

As for the group makeup. I’m just not sure. Non of these are characters that I’m invested enough in to go and buy something just because he or she is in it. Some are ones that I really have no interest in. And two I don’t know anything about (new Green Lantern and the guy with the guns (maybe Steve Trevor?))

So I guess this defaults back to my usual stance. If the story is cool, I’ll like it. If not, I won’t.

8. Kevin Kortekaas
    August 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm — Reply

Who’s the guy that’s crouched behind Catwoman?

• Michael
      August 27, 2012 at 10:32 pm — Reply

I’m pretty sure that’s Vibe. Dunno who the armored-up guy with the guns is. Steve Trevor?

• August 27, 2012 at 11:18 pm — Reply

From what I’ve read elsewhere, the armored guy is Steve Trevor, and he’s apparently the team’s leader.

9. aerohalen1
    August 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm — Reply

Catwoman on a team?i dont know if i buy one of the most selfish people in the dc universe being on a team.

10. August 28, 2012 at 1:10 am — Reply

Much like the current “Justice League,” I’ll be reading this one for the art. Though Finch being on this means he’ll have to come off “The Dark Knight,” another book I was only reading for the art.

11. justanothergeek
    August 28, 2012 at 3:30 pm — Reply

I find this roster interesting but I really have run out of faith in Geoff Johns on the League, even with Stargirl and Vibe, the new 52 League has been sucking so much.
    Finch’s art may do it for me though, his recent issue of Batman the Dark Knight was supreme. But why Catwoman has to have the zipped down top everytime, I mean come on people!