Recently, I found myself at loose ends, only to encounter the opening moments of John Wayne’s 1953 outing, “Hondo.”  Despite having grown up in a John Wayne-loving household, I had never really sat down to watch a Wayne film on purpose, the only exception being ‘The Conqueror,’ where Wayne played Genghis Khan.  (Some part of me just can’t resist that sort of train-wreck casting.)  Even though Hondo’s credits sequence looked like Little Debbie cakes, I was willing to give the film the benefit of the doubt due to positive reception by two notable (and unexpectedly similar) men:  Reverend Jesse Custer and Al Bundy.  Turns out it was a decent little movie, with some cool 3-D camera work and intriguingly homespun philosophy, and I’m happy to say that my imaginary friends the Preacher and the Shoe Man didn’t steer me wrong.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) ain’t gonna hit ya, it ain’t gonna hit ya.  Like HELL it’s not, asking:  Are there things you enjoy that you only tried because their relationship to ANOTHER bit of pop culture?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: Adventure Time #7

REVIEW: Before Watchmen - Dr. Manhattan #1 (of 4)

1. Robert Hulshof-Schmidt
    August 26, 2012 at 12:36 pm — Reply

I started reading Raymond Chandler thanks to the Robyn Hitchocock song “Raymond Chandler Evening.” Then I started tracking down the movies, launching a life-long love of noir. Thanks, Robyn!

2. SmarkingOut Adam
    August 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm — Reply

ECW got me into AC/DC.

3. Charles E.
    August 26, 2012 at 2:55 pm — Reply

Honestly, this was why got me into Star Trek the first time. I grew up being a StarbWard fanboy, one of the “either-or” types. I used to think the aliens were dumb, the ships unfeasable, etc. a few years ago I got the last edition of “Star Trek: Bridge Commander”, and it intrigued me. This curiosity grew until sometime early this year, I decided to watch it. I started at the very beginning of TOS, and watched it straight through TNG until I stopped at DS9 Season 2. I plan on finishing DS9, watching Voyager despite all the fun poked at it), and finishing with Enterprise, all before the next JJ Abrams film releases. I’m not quite a “Trekker/Trekkie”, but I thoroughly enjoy the franchise now.

4. August 26, 2012 at 4:33 pm — Reply

I was introduced to the gorgeous Alizée Jacotey because her dance is used as the Night Elf female dance in WoW (despite the fact I was never that into it, although I did play for a time) and they compared the original dances to the characters dances in a YouTube video.

There are a lot of things I’ve come to like that I was introduced to through something else, including a lot of songs/bands/musicians I may not have paid much attention to otherwise. I’ve read a few books that were mentioned in or as influences for movies/songs/tv show episodes.

5. August 26, 2012 at 9:23 pm — Reply

I have a bit of an inversion, with the Eagles because of the Big Lebowski.

6. August 27, 2012 at 12:45 am — Reply

I first became interested in The Prisoner, because of the Iron Maiden song which uses the ‘Who are you?’ sequence from the show’s intro at the beginning of the song. I discovered Robert Anton Wilson, and all his stuff because if his tangential relationship to the Church of the Subgenius. And how many people of my age 30ish – 40ish got into D&D because of the Hobbit and LotR and the Rankin-Bass animated films based on those novels.

• Rob
      August 27, 2012 at 8:23 am — Reply

Weirdly I went in the opposite direction playing the old Middle Earth Role-playing Game by I.C.E before discovering the original books.