Bloodstrike, that Rob Liefeld comic made popular in the ’90s, could be headed to the big screen.

This news comes from Variety, that reports Adi Shankar’s 1984 Private Defense Contractors, Rob Liefeld, and Liefeld’s manager Brooklyn Weaver will be producing the project.

Liefeld’s new angle, aimed at creating a franchise appeal, focuses on a Bloodstrike unit consisting of a team of super-soldiers who have secretly been imbued with vampire blood — making them an elite strike force feared by all enemies.

Some may be groaning and rolling their eyes, but there is still a reason why Liefeld and his properties are still marketable today – when Bloodstrike launched in 1993, it sold over 30 million copies.

This is simply the big first announcement, actors, director, and script writers still need to be hired.

via Variety

1. August 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm — Reply

I think most people who are tangentially involved with comics’ reactions will be “Why is Deadpool wearing blue armor?”

• BigPapaRama
      August 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm — Reply

I am one of those people and that is EXACTLY what I thought!

• b003
        August 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm — Reply

Ditto, then I remember that sucky Wolverine movie. Hopefully it’ll be done right.

2. Allen Jones
    August 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm — Reply

I’ll believe it when I see it in theaters. He had a bunch of other properties that were optioned but nothing came of them.

3. Oldcomicfan
    August 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm — Reply

I was about to say that it looked like Rob Liefeld’s take on Spiderman only with guns, then I saw it WAS a RL drawing. I missed this character in the 90s. Just how is Bloodstrike different from Deathstoke, Bulleye, Hawkeye, etc., etc., etc.? Not that I’m implying that the character isn’t (cough cough) original. Of course he is. Note the leg belt? It doesn’t at all resemble a mash-up of of Spiderman’s, Deathstroke’s, Thor’s and the Punisher’s costumes (cough cough).

• dantemarx
      August 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm — Reply

You can tell it was a Liefeld comic by the lack of illustrated feet.

4. August 21, 2012 at 4:27 pm — Reply

I’m distracted by trying to figure out where the casings are flying out of.

5. Mike
    August 21, 2012 at 5:35 pm — Reply

About the only good thing I can say about this possibility is at least Liefeld won’t be drawing it.

6. August 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm — Reply

I’m torn here. On the one hand, it’s always nice to see obscure comic characters getting movies. It gets people interested in comics.

On the other hand, it’s freaking Liefeld. Admittedly the guy has gotten better from what little I’ve seen of his current work, but still. Really, had you told me it was Brigade or Dooms 4 getting a comic, I’d have felt just the same. Hell, I have no way of saying whether the character shown in this post was actually Bloodstrike, or one of Liefeld’s other generic muscle-bound, gun-toting characters.

All things considered, good luck to this movie if only on principle.

7. yukicat1
    August 21, 2012 at 7:29 pm — Reply

Good point about the lack of an ejection port for the shell casings. Also, it’s clear to me that RL has never seen a spent bullet casing in his entire life.

8. Vulgar_Sasquatch
    August 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm — Reply

Are you a burgeoning actor with a dislocated spine? Have you lost your feet in a farming accident? Are you afflicted by congenital limb deformities or an overpopulation of teeth in your mouth? If so, call Liefeld for an audition now on 1800-HACK