Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

MOVIES: The Last Stand

RETRO REVIEW: Daredevil #181 (April 1982)

1. Sebastian
    August 20, 2012 at 1:29 am — Reply

I would say that too much photoshop left its mark :-/

2. ~wyntermute~
    August 20, 2012 at 1:33 am — Reply

I hope I don’t come to regret my choice, but I’m actually looking semi-forward to watching this. Green Arrow seems like a superhero that tv can actually handle. The f/x won’t blow the budget, and the “Oliver Queen” character is a many-faceted individual. He can be a wise-cracker, a bad-ass, and a family-man type. Obviously the latter won’t come into play immediately, but I wouldn’t hate it if Dinah (everybody’s favorite Bird Of Prey) & Mia (Speedy!) eventually became supporting cast members.

3. August 20, 2012 at 5:06 am — Reply

I can’t get over the fact that he doesn’t use a gun. In the comics, it makes sense, and I buy it. But in live action, if he’s grim and gritty, and shooting people in the face with arrows, why not just shoot them with bullets? I will also be counting how many arrows he carries with him versus how many he fires. I never understand archer based heroes in a serious solo context. Avengers made it work, but I’m skeptical. There will have to be some fantastic character drama and interplay to keep me hooked, but I’m not counting on it from the CW.

4. Oldcomicfan
    August 20, 2012 at 7:18 am — Reply

I have my reservations. Green Arrow has the tendency to slip into campy stupidity – I mean, net arrows? Boxing glove arrows? The whole idea is silly and not only that, they wouldn’t work in real life either. Tie a boxing glove to an arrow and try to shoot it and watch what happens. If the TV show ever goes in that direction, God save us all.

• August 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm — Reply

Don’t worry boxing gloves are not dark & gritty enough.

5. August 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm — Reply

I believe that the boxing glove arrows work on the same principle as an airbag, inflating with force on impact… Which is a different deal entirely.

6. b003
    August 21, 2012 at 12:36 am — Reply

Wonder if there’s an angst arrow?