Neal Adams return to the X-Men was in many way surprising to me, and got me thinking about great returns in pop-culture terms.  Though I’m still impressed by Steve Gerber’s posthumous return to writing Man-Thing, the crown prince is multiple-time WWE Champion Chris Jericho, whose various returns to action  over the last decade-and-a-half (mostly from his second gig as a rock star) never fail to impress, and can still give me goosebumps even now.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) got stopped and dropped by the Walls of Jericho, asking:  What pop-culture “return” (by character, author or actor) stands as your favorite?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: Daredevil #16

REVIEW: Animal Man #12

1. August 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm — Reply

Sarah Jane’s return to Doctor Who in “School Reunion” and Peter Davison returning as the Fifth Doctor in “Time Crash”.

And purely for nostalgia, Tommy returning as the Green Ranger and then again as the White Ranger (Don’t look at me like that!).

• Navarre
      August 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm — Reply

*looks at you. … like that.* ;-)

2. Frank
    August 5, 2012 at 3:38 pm — Reply

Peter Cullin in Transformers. I really wish Micheal Bay had cast Frank Welker as Megatron.
    Also, the current Scooby Doo with Welker.

The 1988 return of Jim Phelps in Mission Impossible. (Yes, I’m old as dirt)

• Firefox
      August 5, 2012 at 7:03 pm — Reply

rumors said that Frank Welker’s voice was too far gone from smoking to do the voice anymore.

• Frank
        August 6, 2012 at 9:08 am — Reply

I did see that he is doing the voice for Megatron in the video game adaptations.
        I think the only reason that Peter Cullen voiced Prime is because the fans petitioned Bay to include him.

3. B.V.K.
    August 5, 2012 at 7:39 pm — Reply

Best: Mark Hamill as Joker for Arkham City. It was rumored he would not return to the role due to the strain the character put on his voice. The game would not have been the same without him.

Worst: Superman Returns…curse you Brandon Routh.

4. Navarre
    August 5, 2012 at 7:54 pm — Reply

I agree with you on Jericho’s return…any and all of them. I liked the Undertaker dropping in to assist Kane on Raw 1000 too, even if it was expected.

Spike’s return from the (un)dead in Angel following the series finale of Buffy was nice.

I may have squeed a bit when Colossus returned from the dead in Astonishing X-Men.

Mainly, Joss has a way of making me forgive him for constantly killing off beloved characters.

5. Robbie
    August 5, 2012 at 10:42 pm — Reply

How about Scotty’s return in ST TNG ?

• Georgedubya
      August 5, 2012 at 11:58 pm — Reply

That was great. Between his appearance, Deforest “Bones” Kelley’s appearance in the pilot, and the various appearances of Sarek and Spock, I loved all of the original series callbacks in TNG.

6. litanyofthieves
    August 6, 2012 at 1:39 am — Reply

Jesus in the King James run of the New Testament, hands down. That cat knows how to make a comeback.

But other than that…

Futurama is probably a close second, considering most of their new ones are either hit or miss.

The movie Serenity gets an honourable mention from an old dedicated browncoat like me.

7. Ryan
    August 6, 2012 at 6:25 am — Reply

Arrested Development returning on Netflix.

8. Kevin Flythe
    August 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm — Reply

I would like to say Gul Dukat in “By Inferno’s Light” during season 5 of DS9. Sure, this was a ‘part 2’ that he appeared in part 1 of, but THIS was the episode where he returned to his rightful place as supreme villain of the series.