Bringing their favorite cult movies and TV shows, comics, charities and other interests to life, fan groups will again be on hand at Wizard World Chicago Comic Con. Organizations supporting Star Wars, Ghostbusters, “Star Trek,” and Jurassic Park are among those who will roam the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center floor, August 9-12, many in elaborate costumes – and all making the day just a little more fun for attendees.
Fan groups scheduled to attend Wizard World Chicago Comic Con include:
- 501st Midwest Garrison, the Illinois chapter of The 501st Legion, a Star Wars Imperial costuming club. The 501st is dedicated to the movie-quality costumes of the “villains” of the Star Wars universe.
- Comics4kids, literacy champions who collect, receive, purchase, and inherit comic books and then give them away to children for free in hopes of improving literacy and encouraging imagination, as well as promoting the comic book collecting medium as a hobby.
- Cosplay Chicago, giving, a place to meet, talk and share everything and anything in the world of cosplay. It is set up for all of those that share the addiction of cosplay.
- D20 Girls, who try to promote a very positive image of female gamers. They break down stereotypes, aren’t barbie dolls, don’t come in one size, and don’t come in one shape… They are Gamers, and, yes, Girls Game Too!
- DVM Podcast Empire, which presents some of the funniest and most entertaining fan podcasts about TV favorites from epic sci-fi like “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” and “The Event” to high concept drama like “Lost,” “FlashForward” and “Person Of Interest.”
- Ghostbusters: Chicago Division, the Chicago “franchise office” in support of the popular cult movie favorite, hoping to keep the Windy City clean for years to come.
- Gothams Finest, a group of like-minded individuals who enjoy costuming as members of the DC universe. Everyone had the action figure, watched the movie, and read the comics. No one has ever owned costumes like these.
- Heroes Fallen Studios, a non-profit 501c-3 veteran based organization that supports our troops by telling their real-life stories based on their service in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Jurassic Park Legacy, the prime information source of Jurassic Park Universe knowledge, with its ever-popular, and all-inclusive “Jurassic Park Encyclopedia,” sprouting many of the efforts put forth into “costuming” research and the like for the community.
- Mario Godiva Fitness, a fitness expert, celebrity trainer, and master trainer/international presenter for Kangoo Jumps who started in the fitness industry at 18 and has over 12 years of experience. He teaches group fitness classes, privately trains, travels and teaches master classes and holds trainings.
- Musical of the Living Dead, an original musical parody of classic zombie films and musical theatre. Featuring music inspired by everything from Gershwin to Green Day, the show follows the lives of 10 very different people trapped in a farmhouse seeking refuge from the horde of brain-eating (and dancing) zombies outside.
- The Nerdologues, a sketch comedy show created by a group of comedians that have trained and performed at iO and Second City. The Nerdologues explores nerd and pop culture through hilarious sketches, and allows the performers an outlet for soul touching monologues about growing up nerdy.
- Sugar Gamers, a female-oriented organization local to Chicago with a focus on bringing women together who enjoy video gaming, also welcoming comic book fans, cosplayersand others. The Sugar Gamer community hosts one of a kind events geared towards the interests of its members, and makes a point to be present for all the Chicago cons.
- USS Chicago, a chapter of STARFLEET, The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc. and is based in Homewood, Ill., a south suburb of Chicago. The USS Chicago also enjoys a charter with The Empire, a Klingon themed club where members can explore Klingon fandom and culture.
- WGTR “World Grand Theft Radio,” a multi media company with its own radio station “now nine years strong” and TV station, comic/graphic arts studio and live broadcasting from events all over the USA. With over 30 original shows a week live, “our mission to make your on air dreams come true!”William Shatner, Stan Lee, Scott Bakula, Tom Felton, Jon Bernthal, Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino and WWE® Superstars CM Punk® and John Cena®, notable artists Carlos Pacheco, George Pérez, Greg Capullo and dozens of others will attend Wizard World Chicago Comic Con.
Wizard World Chicago Comic Con, produced by Wizard World, Inc. (WIZD.PK), will bring together thousands of fans of all ages and dozens of celebrities and industry professionals to celebrate the best in pop-fi, pop culture, movies, graphic novels, comics, toys, video gaming, television, sci-fi, gaming, original art, collectibles, contests and more.
For more on the event, including hours, celebrities, creators, vendors, VIP and photo opportunities, programming schedules, evening entertainment, autographs, sponsorship and volunteer information and more, visit http://www.wizardworld.com/home-ch.html.
About Wizard World:
Wizard World produces Comic Cons and pop culture conventions across North America that celebrate graphic novels, comic books, movies, TV shows, gaming, technology, toys and social networking. The events often feature celebrities from movies and TV, artists and writers, and events such as premieres, gaming tournaments, panels, and costume contests.
The full event schedule can be found at www.wizardworld.com.
***** SAVE THE 2012 DATES *****
August 9-12, 2012 – Wizard World Chicago Comic Con
September 29-30, 2012 – Wizard World Ohio Comic Con
October 26-28, 2012 – Wizard World Austin Comic Con
November 30 – December 2, 2012 – Wizard World New Orleans Comic Con
TBD, 2013 – Wizard World Toronto Comic Con
May 30 – June 2, 2013 – Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con