During an interview with MTV Geek, editor Tom Brevoort showed off the brand new look Captain America will get when Marvel NOW! kicks into high gear.

We weren’t really thinking about the movie incarnation per se, though it’s difficult to avoid it I suppose. But even there, Cap’s already had two completely different suits in the movies, in CAP: FIRST AVENGER and then in MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS. What we were really going for, more than anything, was the feeling of Cap being an actual soldier. At the outset, I did some research and collected a bunch of different photographs of modern military gear, helmets and what-have-you, and they all informed the design we eventually settled on.

via MTV Geek

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

SOLICITATIONS: Bluewater Productions for October 2012

TRAILER: Tai Chi O trailer arrives

1. Ashen
    July 27, 2012 at 8:31 am — Reply

Marvel SERENITY NOW!

• J_Michael_T
      July 27, 2012 at 10:00 am — Reply

Hahahaha exactly

2. Joe
    July 27, 2012 at 8:52 am — Reply

I hate this. Why bother going for “realism” in a story about a guy who took a magic science potion, fought nazis, then slept under the sea for … Is it 60 years now? And he’s friends with a god and a monster and a robot.

But really, we want his boots to have laces. Like a soldier.

3. BigPapaRama
    July 27, 2012 at 9:53 am — Reply

I think this looks great, especially the helmet. Big fan of goggles as a mask.

4. Jason
    July 27, 2012 at 10:30 am — Reply

Can you say “Designed by a committee?”

Looks like a mash-up of Aquaman, Iron Man, and Captain America.

5. Rob M
    July 27, 2012 at 10:41 am — Reply

“We weren’t really thinking about the movie incarnation per se”

Oh no..not at all. This is obviously just a happy little coincidence.

This whole realism trend in comics needs to die now. You expect me to believe someone can throw an unbreakable garbage can lid so skillfully that he can bounce it back to himself, yet somehow…the fact that he wears a costume is supposed to be the ridiculous part. You make comics for a living guys.. try to accept that and every crazy thing that goes with it.

• aerohalen1
      July 27, 2012 at 4:45 pm — Reply

ditto,i am real tired of the comic companies trying to take the “super” out of the heroes.

6. Vince Hummel
    July 27, 2012 at 11:12 am — Reply

Why is he wearing Antman’s helmet?

7. Mark
    July 27, 2012 at 11:15 am — Reply

I think the new duds look great!

8. Michael
    July 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm — Reply

I guess it’ll depend on which artists draws it at the time, but I was really hoping that the Marvel NOW poster was saying that they were finally getting rid of the fish scales.

9. Kevin
    July 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm — Reply

This looks like one of the rejected designs from when they did Ultimates 2

10. Navarre
    July 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm — Reply

I think it is a better uniform than the shiny one Bucky Barnes wore. I think it fits Cap’s personality and image well enough that I can accept it.

No matter what they do, the traditional costume will always be the iconic one. I think that says all I need to say about it.

11. July 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm — Reply

“We weren’t really thinking about the movie incarnation per se. We wanted to make something that would good in a new movie without making Chris Evan’s head look fat.”

12. Matthew Szekeresh
    July 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm — Reply

“We weren’t really thinking about the movie incarnation per se” They just happened to create a uniform that looks very similar to the movie version? The movies being the entire reason for the whole reboot. Marvel is understandably looking for synergy by creating cross promotion between the films and the comics. I don’t mind the costume. I just wish they were honest.

13. Oldcomicfan
    July 27, 2012 at 6:55 pm — Reply

KISS – in two ways: It looks like something the band members of KISS might wear and , secondly, Keep It Simple Stupid! The artists are going to have the same problem drawing that frame by frame as the DC artist did with New 52 Superman’s chainmail, underpantsless costume. They’re either going to have to take a frikken week to draw each panel or they are going to simplify the heck out of the thing. My first thought was “Yay, no little winglets on the helmet” and then I saw the wings stenciled on the side view and laughed my backside off!

14. Lapis
    July 27, 2012 at 9:39 pm — Reply

Im not sure Im a fan of these overly designed costumes, and as an artist Im not sure Id want to draw that over and over having to remember where every strap, buckle, pad, and rivet are supposed to be. I also think that maybe this kind of design is really done just to have the characters costume be more easily translated into real life for the movies.

15. DMC
    July 28, 2012 at 12:11 am — Reply

All they had to do was tweak it, I think they went overboard here.

They should have asked Ryan Meindering for some assistance.

1) Helmet
    3)Knee Pads (maybe)

2)Needs More Chain Mail
    3) Overall, looks way too busy and feels stuffed.

Should have used Bryan Hiches WWII Cap from “Cap Reborn” as the base.

16. johnny
    July 28, 2012 at 12:28 am — Reply

I actually like the uniform quite a bit and think it looks realistic– I can’t stand the helmet, though. The ear pieces stick out too far and he looks like he is wearing a pair of ugly goggles… the mask should be more simple.

• Rob M
      July 28, 2012 at 2:01 pm — Reply

“it looks realistic”

Bingo…but my question is..How is that a good thing? Why would you want superheros to be realistic?

Im not saying we should return to the insanity of DC’s silver age or anything, but superheros should be bigger than life. The more you start to inject realism into that, the more you start to chip away at the wonder and magic that this genre has always had.

17. Dennis
    July 30, 2012 at 12:55 am — Reply

Gack! I’m so tired of Marvel screwing with the “classic” costumes (especially forcing their movie versions upon us) … sorry, I think this new vesion is terrible. Keep this sort of thing in the Ultimate Comics (mainly because I don’t read any of he Ultimate Comics!) and keep it out of the 616!

18. b003