The panels are in full swing at the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con, and though we aren’t at the show, we’ve dug through the drek and present a rundown of the news from DC Comics’ The Dark and The Edge panel.
ANIMAL MAN, SWAMP THING, JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
- We’ve mentioned it before, and DC Comics has said that the battle between the Green, The Rot, and The Red would permeate through DC Comics, and in issue 12 of Animal Man, Rotworld kicks off, with things kicking into high gear with Animal Man and Swamp Thing #13.
- Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. issues 13-15 will tie into Rotworld with an arc called “Secrets of Rotworld.”
- Frankenstein will become a regular in Animal Man’s story and will appear in the Justice League Dark Annual.
- The Books of Magic, a long time fan favorite dealing with the magic of the DCU will appear in Justice League Dark beginning in September.
- Tim Hunter will appear in the book, as Neil Gaiman gave approval to use the character.
- “Amethyst will also be joining the Justice League Dark team, but not necessarily because she wants to.”
DEATHSTROKE AND GRIFTER
- Issue #0 will explore what drives Slade Wilson.
- “When the love of his life was taken from him, he amped up the ruthlessness along with his abilities,” Rob Liefeld to those at the panel.
- Voodoo will join the Grifter title beginning with issue #13.
- If you are looking for a grounded origin story for Jonah Hex, Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray have that planned for issue #0, though I thought they did that already in the last series.
- “When Justin and I had the opportunity to pitch the character it was a dream come true. We’ve been writing him for 6 years now. I relate to his temper, and the way he sees everything very straight forward,”said Palmiotti
- Issue #13 sees Hex taking on a circus that has come to town. It’s not clear if this is part of the Talon/Owls storyline that has Hex dealing with Haly’s Circus and their recruitment drive. What we do know is Hex will be fighting clowns.
That wraps it up for that panel. More panel summaries are on the way.