I am occasionally accused of knowing nothing about anime or manga, and while there’s a seed of truth to that, the truth is a bit more complicated.  I have at least a basic knowledge of such things, and a deep love of certain (read: 70’s and 80’s) manga properties.  When I first began working in the comics business in the 1990’s, anime & manga were ubiquitous, and I gravitated towards certain properties as the lesser of the available evils, notably the adventures of Sailor Moon.  It’s been nearly a decade since the anime disappeared into Toei’s vaults, but I find myself happy to hear the announcement of the return of Serena and friends in the not-so-distant future.  (I’m not as excited as Critical Hit’s own Adriana, however, as I’m almost certain I heard her squeal of delight halfway across the country.  I thought it was a tornado siren.)  I even suspect that my child will enjoy the way it emulates two of her favorite things: Super Sentai and Jem.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced “bee-show-oo-joe”) thinks Tuxedo Mask may be the best name ever, asking: Will you be watching the revived series of Sailor Moon?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: Lookouts #1

REVIEW: Infernal Man-Thing #1 (of 3)

1. N
    July 6, 2012 at 8:42 pm — Reply

It’s funny, I work in construction and my buddies always make fun of the fact that I like Sailor Moon but when I was younger SM was the first anime I’ve ever seen (it was on before Dragon Ball Z) and was completely impressed by it. I’m in, just give me a good story.

2. July 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm — Reply

I predict that everyone will watch it, it will be inescapable if you log onto the internet. It will be like MLP in it’s prolific-ness

3. foolsmask
    July 6, 2012 at 10:09 pm — Reply

I will watch if I can, I missed this anouncment though. Do we know how/when it will be available?

• July 7, 2012 at 10:56 am — Reply

announcement said it’ll be released simultaneously worldwide! So people are thinking they’re going to be releasing it online to accomplish that.

4. CLOE iruka
    July 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm — Reply

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i didin’t know sailor moon was comeing back. i LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sailor moon <3 ^_^ o though i'm only 16 sailor moon was 1 of the first anime's i ever saw. when i was 8 or 9 i think is when my big bro first showed it 2 me and i'v LOVED it ever sens ^_^ <3 so HAY YA i'm going 2 wach it ^_^<3

5. Ricco
    July 6, 2012 at 11:59 pm — Reply

I’ll watch it for sure, unless they add unnecessary gore or something. It was for the longest time the only anime on Tv I could watch that didn’t make my eyes bleed with horrible animation.

6. July 7, 2012 at 12:32 am — Reply

I’ve recently been watching the live action Sailor Moon, so I might as well watch the new series. I’ve never been a huge Sailor Moon fan, though. I’m not saying I hate it because I did watch it here and there or when friends had the VHS/DVDs, but I never went out of my way to watch it or collect the manga or toys or anything. It surprises me a bit, considering anything with superpowers and asian girls usually is right there at the top of my list.

7. StellarLeader
    July 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm — Reply

Will I be watching the revived series of Sailor Moon? Oh hell yeah!
    I just hope it doesn’t come with a bunch of enraged comments on the internet because “that’s not Sailor Moon, they’re ruining it”. I just went through that with Saint Seiya Omega and I am not willing to put up with that again

• July 7, 2012 at 1:17 pm — Reply

Sadly, I’m expecting a vocal hatedom; you should’ve seen them for the live-action – not because of any of the changes but just that it existed at all. I must be one of those total freaks who enjoys new takes on old favorites that are done well.

8. July 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm — Reply

I cannot wait to watch it! Ever since the new versions of the manga started being re-released, I’ve discovered just how much Sailor Moon as a series shaped my tastes & creativity.

But I also hope that maybe the original anime series will be given a good quality release on DVD along with it next year; those ones we got either had bad sources, bad subtitles, or both, and a new series would be a prime chance to make some money off the old one as well.