With the official announcement of Marvel’s new publishing strategy, I am left with a number of questions, not the least of which is, “Is that Jean Grey?”  As with any promotional art, I don’t think we can take it entirely literally (I still remember when everyone believed that Gorilla-Man was joining the Avengers because he appeared in a picture like this) but it is interesting to see how Thor, Captain America and Nick Fury, Jr. seem to be drawing from their cinematic selves for visual cues.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) wants Rocket Raccoon to lead the Avengers, asking:  How excited are you about this announcement and the twenty-plus new titles it heralds?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Detective Comics gets new creative team in October

REVIEW: Before Watchmen - Ozymandias #1 (of 6)

1. July 5, 2012 at 12:22 pm — Reply

That is Jean Grey. The “original x-men” will time travel to the “present”

I’m interested to see how this will play out, but it isn’t a reboot, relaunch, or retcon, but rather a rebranding with a twist, of their titles. Like many pointed out with DC’s New 52, some characters will change, while others won’t, so I guess it will all come together if Franklin Richards doesn’t have an aneurism trying to keep his make believe world straight in his head.

2. N
    July 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm — Reply

I’d only really be excited if they decided to not sell these new titles for $3.99. (Which they probably will.)

• July 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm — Reply

Of course they will. That is how they justify giving away a free digital code…

3. TaZ
    July 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm — Reply

I don’t see much that would make me switch over to more Marvel titles other than some infrequent curiosity. Things may change before Marvel goes 52 but based on just the artwork on that cover there’s a lot that I DON’T like right off the bat. First off is Thor’s look. Why in Hemidall’s name would someone that has an enchanted hammer need two swords on their back? A bit of overkill (pun intended) there? The Cyclops costume is an awful color. I know the’re trying to “Magneto-ize” him but the bad mix of scarlet and orange ain’t doing it, nor is the “X” eye shields. He’s Cyclops, not “X-Eye”. Iron Man black and gold armor, I like. Captain America going to the movie/ultimates Captain America uniform? Feh. As far as X-Men “time travelling” stuff that’s been overdone and overdone and overdone so I hope for another explanation of Jean Grey in the old school Marvel Girl costume.

Hulk’s had more outfits and looks than the late, lamented Janet Van Dyne so nothing new there. I do like seeing Nova included. Spidey and Wolverine…well there’s a lot of marketing there so you gotta keep some look consistency.

Being fair, I’ll probably take a look at the “new/old” titles when all this is done but I find it hard to see anything they plan on doing that would return the Marvel titles back to the top of my read list past the DC stuff I’ve come to like (JLA/Shazam, Earth-2, Worlds’ Finest, Batman, Batman Incorporated and Aquaman in particular).

4. N
    July 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm — Reply

Sometimes people just want the burger, not the fries. Bad analogy….

• TaZ
      July 5, 2012 at 1:34 pm — Reply

Only those of us on low-carb diets.

• Rob
        July 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm — Reply

Paleo ftw!

5. Antonio Sanciolo
    July 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm — Reply

Marvel only gets my dollars in $2.99 amounts.

6. Slappy
    July 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm — Reply

While I have been negligent in my Marvel collecting, I may wait until that “Uncanny Avengers crossover?” is done. Seems like it is going from event to event again and that is one of the biggest things to turn me off to titles.
    We’ll see.

7. Ashen
    July 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm — Reply

I would be happy if Marvel would stop reissuing new number 1’s every other time I visit the comic shop.

• July 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm — Reply

Amen, sir or madam, as the case may be…

• Michael
        July 5, 2012 at 5:32 pm — Reply

I cannot wait until Marvel gets it into their heads to number EVERY SINGLE ISSUE #1!

• Slappy
      July 6, 2012 at 8:23 am — Reply

Don’t worry, it will be renumbered to have one or two zeroes after the first number based upon the anniversary issue.

8. July 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm — Reply

I’m more politely curious than excited or angered. Once I hear more info, I might be able to make a decision.

• July 5, 2012 at 8:47 pm — Reply

Ditto. I’m not excited nor upset, but I do have a mild curiosity. I suppose as long as I get to read some good stories, I’ll be happy. But I don’t feel strongly one way or the other.

9. B.V.K.
    July 5, 2012 at 5:54 pm — Reply

Excited might be the wrong word for me, I do have some interest though. I WOULD have been excited if it had been a full reboot of the 616 just to see a fresh start for some of the baggage heavy heroes/teams.

10. Rob
    July 5, 2012 at 9:56 pm — Reply

My god marvel, please stop the cross overs! Put Bachalo back on WatX, and give him enough time to work on it!

11. ray
    July 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm — Reply

Read Image comics.

12. July 6, 2012 at 3:08 am — Reply

I seem to be in the majority when I say I’m not really excited, but very interested. Of course, that might change as they announce more titles. My fingers are crossed for a new Runaways ongoing, now THAT would get me excited.

All in all though, much like the new 52, with so many new titles coming out- odds are pretty good at least a few of them are going to be good. And more good comics to read each month is certainly nothing to complain about.

13. Joe
    July 6, 2012 at 7:57 am — Reply

Ugh. Just please keep Daredevil and the Defenders out of this. Otherwise I won’t have any marvel books to read. I hate this. I don’t even know what “not a reboot or a reimagining” means anymore.

But FINALLY… Hulk has some armor. And Thor has some swords. We’ve all been clamoring for that.

14. Ryan
    July 7, 2012 at 12:20 am — Reply

The whole thing screams “marketing synergy”, but it worked well for DC. It will be interesting to see which titles get changed and which stay the same.

Avengers did so well that it prrobablu even surprised the folks in charge over at Marvel. I think we all know that they should have been working harder to bring movie fans into the comics over time, but now they are scrambling to grab those dollars. For those in the comics already, this is jarring, but we are not who the decision-makers are focussed on. They are looking for people who will have some free time and money after the Avengers blu-ray and Dvd release.