Yes, the raccoon with a blaster, and the tree that says, “Groot” are indeed headed to the big screen, and now we have a release date.

What is really interesting is that Disney and Marvel have opted for Guardians of the Galaxy to be a live action movie instead of an animated feature.  According to Latino Review, the movie will feature the time-traveling team coming from the future (and possibly another universe), to stop Thanos, and lead into The Avengers 2: Infinity Gauntlet Boogaloo – or something like that, I expect we’ll hear the official announcement and title at the San Diego Comic-Con.

Expect 2014 to be an interesting year as audiences will get to see not only Captain America 2, but Guardians of the Galaxy, which will lead to the Avengers in 2015.  Ant Man is still on the down low, though rumors are that an announcement will be made about that really soon.  According to various sites, Marvel plans on releasing two Marvel Universe movies each year until they burn out.

Guardians of the Galaxy will arrive in theaters on May 16, 2014.

via Variety

MOVIES: Big Hero 6 on the lineup from Marvel

SDCC'12: CCI announces Thursday schedule

1. Sebastian
    June 29, 2012 at 8:36 am — Reply

2. Trey
    June 29, 2012 at 10:22 am — Reply

It’s a weird fit. I’m not a Marvel Comics collector but I have heard of every Marvel to Movie character so far. I have never heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy. And if I haven’t I can’t see how most of the world will have so I’m not sure how well it will do.

3. June 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm — Reply

Unless they use this as a way to introduce Adam Warlock as he hung out with those guys a lot I feel this is a total waste of time. ;)

4. James Winston
    June 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm — Reply

I am Groot! (Translation= SWEET!)

5. Rome
    June 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm — Reply

Gaurdians (and generally the Marvel Cosmic universe) are one of my favorite comic properties.

However I am waaaaaaaay skeptical about this project.

The Cosmic guys are so out-there, I don’t see how movie execs won’t meddle so much with this that they are unrecognizable from their parent sources. I hope I’m wrong, as Marvel has done really well with its films lately, but they were all relatively well known characters. About 20,000 guys in this entire country are going to know who Groot, StarLord, Rockey Raccoon etc. are.

I’ll definately see the film, but even I think this one is a stretch.

6. aerohalen1
    June 29, 2012 at 2:57 pm — Reply

Maybe this should be animated and direct to video.

7. June 29, 2012 at 3:30 pm — Reply

I dont even see why this is puzzling. If you have Thanos in A2, you need these guys. No Avenger is going to take out Thanos.

Drax, Gamora, StarLord, Rocket, Moondragon, possibly Bug is my guess.

No Adam Warlock, Vance Astro, are just too complicated to explain,

I dont think they’ll use the 1968 team at all, as they are just all lame. :D

8. b003
    July 2, 2012 at 9:51 pm — Reply

Gonna be ruined. On the plus side space is dark and good for sfx.