Marvel has made their official announcement of the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and given the appearance of a certain Titanian in another of their movies, I wonder if there might be some tie-in to the rest of the cinematic Marvel Universe.  But, more importantly, there have been quite a few Guardians to choose from since their debut in 1968.  For me, it wouldn’t be a GoTG movie without Groot and Rocket Raccoon (presuming they go with the latest incarnation) or Nikki and Starhawk (if the go with the originals.)

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”), bands together from remote galaxies, asking:
What characters MUST be in the Guardians of The Galaxy movie for it to be “done right?”

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: Aquaman #10

SDCC '12: THIS IS WAR

1. June 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm — Reply

I would say Groot, Rocket Racoon, Star-Lord and Drax at the very least. Those are the core personalities I’d like to see. Nova and company would be cool, but not necessarily essential.

2. Mike
    June 29, 2012 at 5:18 pm — Reply

You’d need to have Vance Astro to tie it to Earth, I’d say, unless yer going for modern Guardians. In that case, Star-Lord or Nova, at the very least. Not sure how Groot and Rocket Raccoon would translate to a live-action movie tho.

3. MarkB
    June 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm — Reply

Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, and Drax as the major players but, I would love to see Bug and Cosmo make an appearance.

4. Arbor Day
    June 29, 2012 at 6:42 pm — Reply

Since they’re tying it in to Thanos, its probably going to be set pre-Avengers to explain why he’s interested in Earth in the first place.

They could have a scene in Knowhere and include a bunch of characters in the background.

But since this ties into the Infinity Gauntlet they need Adam Warlock, maybe not directly, maybe they just find him at the end after being defeated by Thanos or something. But they should bring in Gamora to bring all three parties together and have a female presence. Wasn’t she an avatar of Death, why Thanos adopted her? That could explain some of Thanos’ story.

5. Kevin Flythe
    June 29, 2012 at 7:20 pm — Reply

My gut says Adam Warlock should be involved, but what I really want to say is that we’re talking about a movie not a comic, so there’s no guarantee that what works “best” in the comics will work as a movie. I say that I would love to see a blend of classic and modern to appeal to the broadest fan base. However, I agree that Rocket Raccoon would be a hard sell to audiences.

6. June 29, 2012 at 7:29 pm — Reply

Rocket Raccoon, Drax and Vance Astro are what pop into my head. If they want to tie it to the current Marvel movieverse, then they could use Vance Astro getting Captain America’s shield at some point in the movie, or presuming the movie isn’t an origin movie, it could be part of the plot is his quest to find the shield.

7. slimeknight
    June 29, 2012 at 7:56 pm — Reply

Groot and Rocket Raccoon I think they can pull them both off pretty good using the Hulk technology. Would also need Drax for his connection to Thanos and Warlock if Thanos is getting the infinity gems and Starlord or Nova to bring them all together and be the leader of the group. Would like to see Bug and Mantis in it as well.

8. johnny
    June 29, 2012 at 10:31 pm — Reply

I don’t see how they’re going to pull off a whole ensemble of new characters that are totally unfamiliar to the wider movie audience. It took years and 5+ movies to make the Avengers household names, and the world had at least a passing knowledge of the Hulk and Cap before they started. My hunch is they’ll focus on Starlord, Nova and Warlock will be left out (too much backstory) and I’m iffy on Drax and Gamora.

• June 29, 2012 at 11:39 pm — Reply

I don’t know if that will be such an issue…

They do ensemble movies introducing entire casts of characters all the time.

9. Roy Batty
    July 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm — Reply

Mantis should be a part of it – as well as a cameo or homage to the original GOTG characters like Yondu or Martenx