This week’s Top 5 podcast is a good one, talking about the things that we miss from our childhoods, and making Stephen and I once again realize just how very, very old he is.  I also realize that the years of our youth hold dozens of hidden corners of dusty pop culture that might be harboring the Next Big Thing.  In this age of Name RecognitionTM, any property can and will be strip-mined for rebooting, and any schmendrik can tell us what bits of ephemera SHOULDN’T be dredged up from the well-spring of years past(*coughbattleshipcough*), but what about those things that should?

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is ready to raid some lost arks, asking:
What property do you wish someone would bring back and reboot, already?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

FEATURE: Universe Expansion Dissonance

TELEVISION: Disney XD gives Ultimate Spider-Man a second season

1. B.V.K.
    June 11, 2012 at 11:39 am — Reply

Ghostbusters, they have been talking about it forever and need to just do it already. One of my favorites when I was a kid. I watched the cartoons, had the figures, had the proton back WITH the trap. They should look at the new comic series for ideas. Lots of good things going on in that series.

2. Navarre
    June 11, 2012 at 11:43 am — Reply

Space: 1999

the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon

Space Ghost, but serious

Daredevil

The Phantom

Green Lantern, after last year’s movie

• June 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm — Reply

I vote double yes on the D&D cartoon. Not a re-imagining, a continuation.

-c

3. The Great NateO
    June 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm — Reply

Automan
    Air Wolf
    Space Above and Beyond
    Buck Rogers
    Friday the 13th The Series (Oh wait they did that one already Warehouse 13 – Awesome Show)

• B.V.K.
      June 11, 2012 at 1:12 pm — Reply

Space Above and Beyond was awesome. If they did that with updated CGI it could be very cool.

4. June 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm — Reply

Centurions

Skeleton Warriors

Brisco County Jr.

Chuck (okay, I may still be going through withdraws on that last one)

5. June 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm — Reply

Space Ghost is a good one. I don’t want serious though. Something in the vein of Batman: Brave and the Bold with good humor coupled with fun adventure stories. It can be serious at times, but give me fun, not dark and gritty. Incorporate some of the other old Hanna Barbera Adventure/Sci Fi shows like the Herculoids and Mighty Mightor maybe.

Most properties that haven’t already been strip mined or rebooted were pretty derivative and/or awful to begin with. Do we really want to see a Trollkins, Blackstar or Sectaurs revival? Baggy Pants and the Nitwits? Electra Woman and Dyna Girl? Foofur or the Shirt Tales? None of them would surprise me, but do we really WANT to see them?

I guess I wouldn’t mind seeing Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea, that was a weirdly cool show.

I’d even settle for that one being released on DVD in English.

6. June 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm — Reply

Animated Ghostbusters, since that’s where I fell in love with the property. Dapper Dan’s artwork on the IDW series would translate beautifully to animation!

I probably have more I’d like to see, but that’s the first one that came into my head.

7. KevinPBreen
    June 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm — Reply

STAR TREK, not the JJ Abrams mess.

Electro Woman and Dynagirl has been rebooted in 2001:

8. Ashen
    June 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm — Reply

Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot

9. Kevin Flythe
    June 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm — Reply

MIGHTY MOUSE! I loved the New Adventures series as a kid, and have tracked down a lot of classic stuff, too. I just love the character and would like to see him given the treatment he deserves.

And also, if they could reboot it in the not-too-distant future, MST3K. Not sure what kind of reboot I’m asking for, I just want it BACK (with the same creative team mostly intact, of course).

Finally, Dune, maybe? There’s a lot more to be milked out of the new novels and such.

10. Ricco
    June 11, 2012 at 4:45 pm — Reply

Mystery Men, I love that movie.

Until Spider-man 2 I considered it the only comic book movie worthy of the name.

11. Xaxelbrax
    June 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm — Reply

I think my top would be

Out of This World
    Wacky Races/Laff-A-Lympics/Yogi’s Space Race (any one or heck all three would be very welcome)

12. June 11, 2012 at 6:02 pm — Reply

Howard the Duck. But not as some kiddie movie. I see an ongoing animated series on MTV or Comedy Central. Something more adult and closer to the comics.

13. Ryan
    June 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm — Reply

Dino Riders and Dinosaucers.

14. Xaxelbrax
    June 11, 2012 at 6:56 pm — Reply

Just thought of another one, BattleBots!

15. Oldcomicfan
    June 11, 2012 at 7:25 pm — Reply

Felix the Cat. Rocky and Bullwinkle. The Flintstones – pre Pebbles and Bam-Bam. Wild Wild West with NO Will Smith. Star Trek TOS – the last two years of their five year mission that never got made. Back to the Future as a weekly television show. Robotech.

16. June 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm — Reply

– Green Lantern. While I found the movie tolerable, it just didn’t fill me with the kind of joy a longtime GL fan should have felt seeing it.

– C.O.P.S. Not the FOX reality show, but the old 80’s cartoon about high-tech cops, with the tagline “Fighting crime in a future time”.

– Gem and the Holograms. With all the music-based TV shows, both scripted and reality, it seems like it would be the best time to make an updated version of this.

• June 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm — Reply

YES!! COPS!!!!

Longarm! Hardtop! Mainframe! Sundown! Mirage! Bowzer and Blitz! Bullseye! Mace! And I’m Bullet-Proof!

• Josh "Spaceboot" Treleaven
        June 11, 2012 at 9:38 pm — Reply

I must also say COPS.

I’m surprised at Matthew’s enthusiasm. I thought it would be more of a Rodrigo demographic. Wouldn’t you already have been a little old for watching cart– oh wait, right. nevermind.

But also, UHF basically defines what this MSQotD is about. I got excited for a second there as I actually wondered whether there might be another Weird Al movie in the works. From what I see on the internets, Al continues to be hard at work touring, recording, and writing. Surely he could fit another feature film into his schedule?

As for a unique contribution, I could Google this, but… what was the show that had toys with dudes with magnets in their feet? I loved those toys. I don’t even remember the show, but I want it remade.

[spoilers]So I did Google it: Starcom[/spoilers]

• June 11, 2012 at 11:01 pm — Reply

COPS actually informs a lot of what I love about super-heroes, especially the use of structure and police procedure without the quasi-military leanings that bothered me about the G.I. Joe cartoon.

17. Ian Robinson
    June 12, 2012 at 2:16 am — Reply

The shows I would like to see rebooted are ones that were a bit ahead of their time, and never really got their due…
    EXOSQUAD
    Brisco County Jr.
    Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys
    Pirates of Darkwater

18. Ryan
    June 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm — Reply

I loved Pirates of Darkwater.