NBC got my attention when they revealed that Eddie Izzard (!!) would be filling Al Lewis’ shoes as the affably undead Gran’pa Munster, and now they’ve chosen the actor who will put on Fred Gwynne’s platform boots as Herman.

Bryan Fuller’s Munsters revamp, “Mockingbird Lane”, will star Jerry O’Connell (known to old guys like me as the fat kid from ‘Stand By Me’ and also as Ultraman) as the Frankenstein Monster who married a vampire and somehow had a werewolf child.  The genetics of it all are pretty questionable, but I’m interested to see the new version, described as edgier, with Herman being discussed as less traditional Frankenstein and more decaying zombie/golem.

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Major Spoilers Podcast #416: That George Lucas Guy

Critical Hit #151: The Hogba

1. June 9, 2012 at 9:07 am — Reply

Clearly someone made a mistake or mixed up some phone numbers because Ted Danson is a dead ringer for the original Herman.

• June 9, 2012 at 9:43 am — Reply

^ This! ^

2. Melanie1001
    June 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm — Reply

Eep…I just realize I’m one of the ‘old folks’ cause I always think of My Secret Identity first :-O

3. Ron
    June 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm — Reply

Brad Garrett would be better as Herman than Ted Danson.

4. June 10, 2012 at 8:05 pm — Reply

Hold on. They’re remaking the Munsters? I know it’s cliche at this point to bitch about it, but why do the Munsters need a damn remake?

Hell, I wasn’t even old enough to be a fan of the Munsters (if I was even alive at that point), and this still exasperates me. What’s next? A remake of M*A*S*H?

5. wdchefdave
    June 11, 2012 at 9:24 am — Reply

WTF! I smell DOOM!
    Jerry is a very good actor…
    But, this smells a lot like TOO far to be called “The Munsters”!
    The new “Teen Wolf” is okay… So, let’s remake “The Beverly Hillbillies” and make them zombies.
    “Bewitched” and “I Dream of Jeannie” can go really sexy DARK…
    The Andy of Mayberry can become a zombie/vampire slayer and give “The Walking Dead” a run for their money!
    There are just TOO many opportunities to F-up so many ’60s classics.
    (What if all the “Gilligan’s Island” members turned on one another and went cannibal?)

• June 11, 2012 at 9:57 am — Reply

It’s not really called The Munsters, but rather 1313 or 1313 Mockingbird… i forget which…

6. b003
    June 11, 2012 at 11:48 pm — Reply

I like Garret and Danson. Actually Dedric Bader would also be good. Catherine Zeta Jones as Lilly, hubba hubba.