X-Men: First Class was a pretty good movie, and it impressed the studios enough to green light a sequel.

We know Matthew Vaughn is returning to direct, and Bryan Singer will produce. We also hear most of the cast will return, though we don’t know which ones for sure. Obviously there will be a number of new characters announced, which will be interesting, but as far as the storyline or title of the sequel goes, everyone is still in the dark.

There’s plenty of time for all of that, as the movie won’t hit theaters until July 18, 2014.

Are you ready for Batman: Street Preacher

SNEAK PEEK: Spider-Men #2

1. TaZ
    June 1, 2012 at 11:20 am — Reply

Perhaps I’m in the minority (I usually am) but I thought that “X-Men: First Class” was about as bad a comic based movie that I’ve seen since “Superman Returns”. The acting was horrible, the actress cast as Mistique did nothing for the role, the make-up for Mistique in her “real” appearance was not good and “The Beast” make up and having hands for feet were both ridiculous. The Beast makeup looked like a muppet with a bad haircut. After the great job they did with making Kelsey Grammer into an older Hank McCoy that was probably the biggest let down of the movie for me. Basically cutting up the main X-men mythos and turning it into “who can we do makeup and special effects on the best.

• Mike
      June 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm — Reply

You are definitely not alone. Between this and the (in my opinion) unnecessary reboot of Spidey, I’m actually kinda surprised they got Avengers right. Are these properties owned by different companies than Marvel Studios?

• Red Star
        June 3, 2012 at 11:43 am — Reply

Kind of. Last I heard, Fox owns movie rights to X-men, Fantastic Four, and Daredevil. Sony has the rights to Spiderman. Lionsgate has rights to Ghost Rider. If they keep making movies, I think their contracts don’t lapse back in Marvel/Disney hands.

• b003
      June 5, 2012 at 12:38 am — Reply

You guys summed it up perfectly.

• litanyofthieves
      June 6, 2012 at 12:07 am — Reply

Can’t say I agree with you on the acting at all. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing in my opinion – she actually made me care about Mystique, which wasn’t hard considering how weak Rebecca Romjin was in the role. Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy had amazing chemistry, and Kevin Bacon was great too. The only person I was disappointed with was January Jones as Emma Frost, but that seemed like a producer-driven decision to get the Mad Men crowd into the theatre. Rose Byrne was also really vibrant in it.

Frankly to me the special effects weren’t all that bad, but they hardly mattered because it was a tight script, extremely well written, and strongly themed. Setting it in the 60s really added to the idea of fighting for rights and how far you’d be willing to go for your cause.

I’m excited to see if they can keep it going and not get distracted by adding a bigger budget and more characters like X3 did.

2. steviecool
    June 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm — Reply

Shouldn’t it be “X-Men: Second Class” now?

3. June 1, 2012 at 2:42 pm — Reply

X-Men: First Class: The Quickeninng. But seriously after 4 X-men movies, this one really had me, and I am interested.

4. Patrick
    June 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm — Reply

Sign me up!

It was interesting to see how much non-comic geeks that I went to the movie with liked it. More please! :)