During a recent Major Spoilers podcast, Stephen and I got to talking about sequels, and how there are those who believe that the delayed ‘G.I. Joe: Retaliation’ might be a better movie than ‘Rise of Cobra’ was.  It started us thinking about sequels, prequels, and the various iterations of movie-going magic.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) wants to save the youth center, asking:  Are there sequels that you like better than their predecessors?  (And, no, Episodes I-III don’t count.)

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SOLICITATIONS: Thulsa Doom returns in August

SNEAK PEEK: Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse

1. May 30, 2012 at 11:57 am — Reply

In some ways, I do like “Empire Strikes Back” better than “A New Hope”. But it is most likely because it builds and expands on things established in ANH, like introducing Yoda and showing that a Jedi is a bit more than just getting lucky with a missle shot and waving around a laser sword.

I have a great deal of love for “Back to the Future 3” as well. I do love all three movies, but I get a great deal more enjoyment out of the third.

And “Toxic Avenger IV”, although I consider it more or less as good as the first, but definitely better than the second and third.

2. Russ Catt
    May 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm — Reply

I just watched Men in Black 3 last night. In my opinion it was the best of the series thus far.

3. Antonio Sanciolo
    May 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm — Reply

RE: the GI Joe change of date. Think of an actor from the first film who’s popularity has increased tenfold in the past ten months. There’s talk this person originally died in the first spool of the sequel and now doesn’t.

4. N
    May 30, 2012 at 12:58 pm — Reply

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 and X2.

5. Slappy
    May 30, 2012 at 1:12 pm — Reply

Evil Dead II over Evil Dead
    Wrath of Khan over The Motionless Picture
    T2 over the Terminator (Still a good Movie)

• May 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm — Reply

How the heck did I forget to list Evil Dead 2?

I really need to make sure I have had coffee before I post.

6. The_Bear_Jew
    May 30, 2012 at 1:33 pm — Reply

Spider Man 2!

7. Ashen
    May 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm — Reply

Aliens over Alien

8. Ryan 'Halite' King
    May 30, 2012 at 2:11 pm — Reply

Road Warrior, Mad Max is good but Road Warrior is great

Toy Story 3, it’s great as a standalone even if you didn’t grow up with the first 2!

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, probably the only Harry Potter I like

Evil Dead 2 and even more so Army of Darkness, it just got better and better

Kung Fu Panda 2, I didn’t find Kung Fu Panda as fun as my son did, but I was surprised that part 2 had a good villain, a back story that mattered, and an ending that followed the storyline.

9. Oldcomicfan
    May 30, 2012 at 2:16 pm — Reply

I agree with all of those except the first post. But going back to GI Joe: Recalibration – how could it NOT be a better movie than the first one? When the original sucks harder than a Black Hole, it’s not difficult to improve upon it. But to add my two cents worth, I think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is even better than Raiders of the Lost Ark. :) As for Empire Strikes Back, there’s just too many inconsistencies. First, there’s no beginning. Secondly, there’s no real end. It’s just the middle part of the story. Secondly, there’s the huge timeline differential – Luke goes off to Degobah for training, While Han and Leia fly to Bespin sans hyperdrive. Either Luke crammed a lifetime’s worth of training into just a few days, or the journey to Bespin took years and they would have had to bring a freighter full of supplies and oxygen along with the Falcon to make it to Bespin alive. Then, suddenly, they all meet up at Bespin and the time differential is just ignored. I actually like Episodes 1-3 better than Empire.

10. Lindsey
    May 30, 2012 at 3:46 pm — Reply

I liked Shrek 2 better than the first one, but that could just be my love of Puss in Boots talking…

11. Lindsey
    May 30, 2012 at 3:47 pm — Reply

(And as a side note: More sequels need to have “Electric Boogaloo” as their subtitle.)

12. Rob
    May 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm — Reply

Bill and Teds Bogus Journey. Basicly the same film as Excelent Adventure but with an actual budget
    and The Grimm Reaper. Station!

13. MCD
    May 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm — Reply

Really? No one said Godfather 2? That’s the first choice that comes to mind.

14. JacinB
    May 30, 2012 at 4:41 pm — Reply

I’ll say it since no one else has: The Dark Knight.

15. Ian
    May 30, 2012 at 7:08 pm — Reply

Rambo

16. Thomas
    May 30, 2012 at 7:39 pm — Reply

here one I guarantee most people don’t know about

Guyver 2: Dark Hero! The American movie series of the early 90’s based off of the popular Japanese manga series. everything about the movie was better then the first, especially the martial arts action.

17. Michael
    May 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm — Reply

Star Trek 2 over ST1.
    Star Trek 6 over Star Trek 5.

Revenge Of The Sith over The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones (the latter by a country mile).

I could say Die Hard over The Detective to be snarky except I never saw The Detective. ;)

2010 over 2001.

The Incredible Hulk over Hulk.

Underworld: Awakening over Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans.

Men In Black 3 over MIB 2

• Michael
      May 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm — Reply

Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 over 3.

18. Ryan
    May 31, 2012 at 7:41 am — Reply

Personal favorite is The Dark Knight followed by Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade
    Some awesome sequels that no one has mentioned so far.
    Hellboy 2
    Superman II
    X2: X-Men United
    Back To The Future Part II&III
    Gremlins 2
    Kill Bill Vol 2
    Lethal Weapon 2

19. Kevin Flythe
    May 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm — Reply

Evil Dead 2 – what the first movie should have been.

Predator 2 – loved Danny Glover in this, and loved seeing the alien in the city, as well as a little bit of ‘Predator culture’

Karate Kid Part 2 – A better movie all around, putting the character focus on Miyagi, and featuring a much better love interest (and soundtrack).

Star Trek II doesn’t count. It’s more a relaunch than a sequel.