Crossovers and guest stars have long been a staple of comics, but these days it seems you can’t swing a cat in a comic shop without hitting a guest appearance by certain characters.  (Actually, comic-shop-cat-swinging is disallowed for any number of reasons, from animal cruelty to claw-damaged-back issues, but…  Bygones.)  Though Wolverine may be the quintessential example, Batman, Spider-Man and others have also reached a level of saturation where they’re just plain EVERYWHERE.  Call it overexposure, call it supply and demand, but however you slice it, you’ll probably find a Logan cameo somewhere in the mix…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is a matter of foresight: If you got to CHOOSE who became the “Next Big Thing,” (with all the baggage, positive and negative, that comes with that status) what character would you choose and why?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: Captain America #12

RETRO REVIEW: Animaniacs #35 (January 1998)

1. litanyofthieves
    May 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm — Reply

I’d go find the most double-entendre’d superhero name I could find and make that it just to giggle every time.

2. May 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm — Reply

Plastic Man. It’s always easier to tolerate when they’re funny.

• KevinPBreen
      May 27, 2012 at 3:06 pm — Reply

Hey, has Plas been introduced yet in the New 52? Maybe he’s the gay one!

• May 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm — Reply

Wouldn’t work. Plastic Man has kids. At least in the old continuity he did. Maybe if they brought him into the New 52 fresh and without kids, then it might work. But the fans might not like such a drastic change.

I wouldn’t know, I’m not a fan of plastic man. In fact, I found him pretty annoying in the comics.

• foolsmask
          May 27, 2012 at 8:46 pm — Reply

Being gay doesn’t mean you can’t have children “the natural way”. I have met several older men who had traditional families but came out after being gay lost some of the stigma. A close friend of mine found out her father was gay after she graduatex from college.

I think it would it be great if Plasric Man came out…but i deel they would have to keep his history intact to make it legitamte.

3. B.V.K.
    May 27, 2012 at 1:59 pm — Reply

I am not sure how the crossover would happen because they are not in the DC or Marvel Universe but I would pick The Goon and Franky for two reasons. First because I love Eric Powells stuff from art to writing and would love to see more than the meager issues we get. Secondly if The Goon did become the next big thing, maybe we could finally get that Goon movie that I have been drooling over since the teaser trailer was released.

4. Josh "Spaceboot" Treleaven
    May 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm — Reply

Duh~uh, Spaceboot, obviously, because then I would get rich.

5. Arbor Day
    May 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm — Reply

Groot and Rocket Raccoon. Just because.

6. Oldcomicfan
    May 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm — Reply

Popeye the Sailor, punching his way through both the Marvel and DC universes with his patented “twisker sock”.

7. Kevin Flythe
    May 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm — Reply

For me, it would be Moon Knight. He is, IMHO, the most awesome character Marvel has that they have no idea what to do with. I think Moony is tailor-made for overexposure, since any writer using him could explain inconsistencies in his character by stating that it was “personality X” that was in the driver’s seat. Plus, given what Bendis did with him in his most recent series, he’s kind of like the Taskmaster of personalities, and can ‘develop’ a personality of pretty much anyone in the Marvel U. This could lead the character down divergent paths, and would make it easy to take the character “in a new direction” if things weren’t going well saleswise. Say, we could even have a series for each personality! Can’t wait for “Moonpool”!

8. N
    May 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm — Reply

Shaza…. I mean the original Captain Marvel is due for a comeback for sure.

9. ghostmartian
    May 27, 2012 at 4:10 pm — Reply

Doctor Strange, and the only reason is because i want a dr strange ongoing, or lets not make him the next big thing, just give him a on going

10. Antonio Sanciolo
    May 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm — Reply

Villains-turned-antihero seem to always do well in this department.
    Marvel’s Taskmaster has the necessary moral ambiguity to give editorial a back-door out of the series if it doesn’t catch on. His gimmick also allows for a lot of sales-boosting cameos; as well as offers potential for other media formats.

11. May 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm — Reply

I’m going to cheat and go with the team of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, because I love them and miss them.

12. May 27, 2012 at 11:13 pm — Reply

Jade (Original Green Lantern Alan Scott’s daughter). I always thought she had more potential than they ever really used her for. She has pretty much the same powers of a Green Lantern, but without the ring, without the rules the Corps has, without the need to recharge (although she does need rest), and in a GL special while Kyle was the sole GL, she seemed to be developing similar plant powers like her biological mother had. And she’s a cute green chick, so that’s another plus. She definitely has the potential to be more than just a character used in team books or as a supporting character.

13. Gehrigan
    May 28, 2012 at 12:49 am — Reply

Ben Grimm “The Thing”, he is the epitome of the everyman caught up in a world he didn’t build. Ben knows just about everyone and generally gets on with most people. Somehow have him caught in a “wedlock” situation with Namor or The Hulk and you have comedy gold. Marvel Two-in-one were some of the first marvel comics I ever read and Ben was the lynchpin to the series and our gateway to the entire Marvel Universe.
    Even better, Ben Grimm and Howard the Duck walking across America lol

• May 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm — Reply

Even better, Ben Grimm and Howard the Duck walking across America lol

Sold! I’ll buy that book…

14. Adam Murray
    May 28, 2012 at 2:03 am — Reply

Black Adam. He’d be believable in almost any book. Heroes would fight him due to his past evil deeds, but he would fight any villain that crossed his archaic sense of honor.

And he is the only one of the “Anti-Heroes” whose costume is better than the original. I’m talking to you Bizzaro and Reverse Flash…

Ohhhhh… wait… I just remembered something…

I change my vote to “Negative Wonder Woman”… She should be in EVERY book…
    I don’t think I have to explain why :)

15. Shush
    May 28, 2012 at 10:21 am — Reply

Atomic Robo! Because everyone needs to know about Atomic Robo.

Usagi Yojimbo was a close second for me. I think Stan Sakai’s rabbit would make great material for an animated series. (True to the source or otherwise.)

• J_Michael_T
      May 29, 2012 at 9:09 am — Reply

This!

Robo would make for a great franchise of movies if they could keep it close to how he is depicted in the books.

16. Verse
    May 29, 2012 at 6:06 pm — Reply

I really want Moon Knight as well. Not a fan of what Bendis has done as of late, but I really like the idea of him as a whole. His Moon Knight: Reborn was so good IMO. Bendis has gone a little extreme lately with the Multiple Personality angle, but all in all it is a good idea.