Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Critical Hit #149 will be delayed a few days.

“WHY!?” you cry.

Take the jump for a half-assed answer, and an apology from yours truly.

I had to leave town on Thursday evening, and I was in a mad race to get the nearly 4 hour episode edited down to a manageable size.  Unfortunately, when you are on a deadline, that is when technology decides to take a big ol’ dump on your chest… Not that I would know anything about that… Matthew was the one who told me all about that in great detail (shudder).  The main system kept crashing, and after the fourth time attempting to edit the show, I gave up around 3:30 AM on Friday morning, as I had to get a few hours sleep before getting up and on the road at 6:30 AM.

I had intended to move the audio files to the laptop so I could edit Friday night from the hotel room, but alas, my lack of sleep or gremlins… yes, I’m going to blame gremlins on this one – failed to move the files to the laptop.

I return home Monday evening, and will begin editing the show… again, and you should have it waiting for you Tuesday morning.

While you wait for over 2 hours of fighty-fighty and dramatic reveals that will shake you to the core, I will tease you with the title of the episode.

CRITICAL HIT #149: THE SECRET OF THE LIZARD WIZARD

Sorry for the delay, I feel as rotten about this announcement as you do.

Sincerely,

Executive Producer
Major Spoilers

ART APPRECIATION MOMENT OF THE DAY: Mike Maihack

REVIEW: Justice League Dark #9

1. Monte
    May 25, 2012 at 8:33 pm — Reply

No complaints from me. You do your best to edit the show, and put forth all of the effort you can to get it done on time. When technology disagrees with us, there’s not much we can do.

We appreciate your work, Stephen!

2. May 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm — Reply

Don’t fret, big guy… Nobody’s human.

And just because I defined “Cleveland Steamer” for you… Y’know what? Nevermind. Bygones.

• zebsdead
      May 26, 2012 at 6:18 am — Reply

i get it! i get that reference…..

3. Mark
    May 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm — Reply

It’s all good. I was planning on saving it for Tuesday to get me through work after the long weekend anyway.

4. Mark
    May 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm — Reply

I’m sure it will be worth the wait. Have a swell holiday. :)

5. May 25, 2012 at 8:56 pm — Reply

Considering how many times you are on time or even get the episode out ahead of time, I think everyone ought to be able to forgive you

And considering how often I’ve waved happily at the deadlines whooshing by on my reviews, I would be the worst kind of hypocrite if I lobbed any criticisms your way :)

Have a great Memorial Day!

6. Chris
    May 25, 2012 at 9:26 pm — Reply

This just means I get to have a great Middle of the Week. Seriously, y’all do an awsome job for us fans every week. Relax and have a safe trip.

7. Jeremie Dunlap
    May 25, 2012 at 9:29 pm — Reply

You deserve a break… it is well earned. My group’s trying the DC Adventures RPG this weekend anyway, so we’ll be busy enough as it is…

8. nordberg01
    May 25, 2012 at 9:38 pm — Reply

This makes for a great excuse to re-listen to the last few episodes and read through the “D&DNext” playtest materials before the new episode hits. Thanks again for all the quality content, Stephen. I really appreciate it.

9. J_Michael_T
    May 25, 2012 at 9:49 pm — Reply

Thanks for the heads-up and for taking such good care of us Spoilerites.

Relax, enjoy the extended weekend, and THEN fret about our reaction if the episode isn’t up next Tuesday :-0

10. Dan
    May 25, 2012 at 10:18 pm — Reply

Just like everybody else has said enjoy the weekend don’t worry about it. The middle of the week is gonna be awesome. I’ve listened to critical hit from the very beginning and I can’t remember the last time it was “late.” How is something that is distributed for free late? It isn’t.

Take the weekend off. Doctors orders.

*Not a real doctor nor should my advice be taken at full value and always with at least a tablespoon of salt

11. May 25, 2012 at 10:42 pm — Reply

Anything so painstaking is going to jack-knife every once in a while. Keep on truckin’.

12. Ricco
    May 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm — Reply

It’s all cool, reality is a harsh mistress to the world of fantasy, the words “red haired step child” come to mind.

Blessing in disguise for me, I just heard of Legend of Korra thanks to Rodrigo on episode 411 and now I can catch up to all 7 episodes.

Also, don’t blame Gremlins, I had them working on something else that day, the gnomes on the other hand…

13. May 26, 2012 at 12:27 am — Reply

You poor thing!!! Dude, the show is FREE, like Dan said, free is never late. No worries! You work SO hard and you’re always up SO late! You should PURPOSELY take breaks, you deserve it!! Any fan of the show understands the hard work that goes into it so try not to even think about it and enjoy the weekend!

14. Robbie
    May 26, 2012 at 12:41 am — Reply

We, your faithful Critical Hittites, appreciate everything! A few days won’t hurt a soul :)

15. Marco
    May 26, 2012 at 6:09 am — Reply

No problem man! Take your time, there are many great episodes to listen back to.

16. zebsdead
    May 26, 2012 at 6:17 am — Reply

the faithful have spoken, sir. thank you for your time and effort, all of you involved. how you guys find the time to do all this is beyond me, but sometimes i picture the Robot Overlord “happy camp,” a haphazard maze of battered laptops and bamboo huts. steven is walking carefully across the dirt yard, kicking up slightly larger clouds of dust than he should, rodrigo is hoping nobody notices his shoes, and matthew clearly looks uncomfortable, the ends of a Hello Kitty watchband disappearing into his mouth.
    get busy living, schleicher……

17. Ben
    May 26, 2012 at 6:50 am — Reply

No worries Stephen. It’s a testament to your consistency that I kept shaking my iphone violently wondering why the episode wasn’t up. Have a nice holiday and all of us will just anticipate it more.

18. Simon Chambers
    May 26, 2012 at 7:27 am — Reply

No worries! You create this show out of the goodness of your heart for us to listen to- we can forgive a few days when life and technology get in the way :)

By the way, I’ve convinced my co-GM at Encounters to add a Rodrigo-rules skills challenge to this week to enhance WotC’s module :)

19. Creigh Brigman
    May 26, 2012 at 11:27 am — Reply

It’s amazing how this happens after a huge cliffhanger last episode. Anyways, no worries Stephen, we’ll just have to spend the next day or two re-listening to all the other episodes, which doesn’t sound bad to me

20. Forresst!
    May 26, 2012 at 11:41 am — Reply

Hey, frankly, it happens. You guys have been amazingly consistent, especially since you have so much to upload every week. It’s alright. Have a nice trip!

21. Alexander D.
    May 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm — Reply

Personally I would rather have the episode late and wonderfully done than on time and badly done because of misfortune caused by technology and sleep deprivation. Thank you for the announcement and get some sleep big guy! We Spoilerites will wait on baited breath as we are ought to do.

22. Steve
    May 26, 2012 at 2:39 pm — Reply

This is a testament to how good a job you have done so far:

I DID NOT KNOW TODAY WAS SATURDAY because there was no Critical Hit to mark it as such. I wondered why people kept saying to call back on Monday or Tuesday. Makes sense now! :)

23. Vrym
    May 26, 2012 at 2:40 pm — Reply

Considering that this is one of the most consistent and rarely delayed podcasts I’ve ever subscribed to, I think we can forgive a little delay here and there.

You guys do a great job – I’m sad I won’t have it for my usual Saturday evening D&D commute – but I’ll just listen to last week’s again =D

Thanks for a great show.

24. Kevin Ashby
    May 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm — Reply

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! MY LIFE IS RUINED!!!! Enough capital letters and exclamation points for ya?

• May 26, 2012 at 4:39 pm — Reply

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Chris_in_Texas
    May 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm — Reply

The time and hard work that all of you put into the show is greatly appreciated. These things happen, no need to apologize. We the fans understand that things go wrong from time to time. Like several others have already said, the show is free and it is easy to see that you guys do this because you love it and the quality shows. I hope the whole crew enjoys the extended weekend with their families and each of you has a safe holiday. Once again guys and gal, you put out a great product and we appreciate it. So, Stephen don’t worry so much.

26. May 26, 2012 at 8:57 pm — Reply

“Life intervened” is not “a half-assed answer”, it’s perfectly reasonable.

27. Eathu
    May 26, 2012 at 11:35 pm — Reply

Don’t worry, you have been so consistently on time, I was afraid the Robot Overlord had us puged into an alternate reality, and as Adriana commented on the last episode, you will often miss jokes the first time through (I’m on my sixth or seventh from-season-one-relisten, you guys are the only thing the cures my insomnia, and you do that with laughter) so an excuse to look for said comedy gold to use at my gaming group (refer to Mathew’s talking about his morning radio in college) is welcome.

• Eathu
      May 26, 2012 at 11:37 pm — Reply

Wow, I commas a lot…

28. May 27, 2012 at 7:13 am — Reply

No worries, dude. It happens. And apparently sometimes “it” happens on your chest…

29. Henry Laman
    May 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm — Reply

Ditto to all the comments made above. And because I didn’t say anything for the hundreds of podcasts that have gone out like clockwork, I’ll say it here: “Thanks for the excellent podcast Stephen”.

Besides, this just gives me a chance to listen to the old podcasts and see if I can find more references made by Matthew. For some reason I only ever seem to pick up on his first one – never the second.

• May 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm — Reply

Rodrigo only allows the one. :)

• zebsdead
        May 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm — Reply

There can be only one. That’s my one.

• Sydness
        May 28, 2012 at 6:33 pm — Reply

You’d catch more of Matthew’s references if you were a Real Genius.

• May 28, 2012 at 8:20 pm — Reply

You’d catch more of Matthew’s references if you were a Real Genius.

If you think that you can intimidate me like that, that’s where you’re right… :)

• Sydness
            May 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm — Reply

I still cannot wait until you get to the Fen of Winters. I cannot wait to find out who you make King of the Winter Carnival.

30. Ferval
    May 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm — Reply

GREMLINS!!! We will have to kill some in my campaign.