The MMORPG genre is filled with popular titles that work, and many that have had to switch their pay model to a free one in order to survive.   Marvel Universe Online has been an on again, off again project from Marvel for a while, but now that The Avengers are on the top of the world, the project is back on again, this time as Marvel Heroes.  The first trailer has arrived, and it features some actual game play.

The Cosmic Cube is a device of untold power capable of changing the very fabric of reality at the whim of its possessor. The brilliant but malevolent Dr. Doom has the Cube, and with it he aims to reshape the world in his own image. Determined to succeed where the Cube’s previous wielders have failed, Doom has lined up villainous allies to prevent the super-heroes from interfering. Can you unravel Doctor Doom’s sinister plan and stop him before it’s too late?

The game story is written by Brian Michael Bendis, and is inspired by some of the big tales and events from Marvel Universe history.

Marvel Heroes will be a free to play MMO Action RPG, but interestingly, none of the press releases from Gazilliion or Marvel have a release date.

via Marvel Heroes

MOVIES: Pacific Rim gets official synopsis

1. randoom42
    May 24, 2012 at 9:55 am — Reply

I wonder if it is like DCU and you fight along side the heroes with a custom character or if you play one of the MVU’s characters. Not a whole lot in the video in the way of info.

• May 24, 2012 at 11:38 am — Reply

The website for the game says you play as the Marvel characters and can unlock more through the game. They also point out that it is “an action RPG in an MMO world”, which sounds to me like it isn’t a normal MMORPG but more of an RPG with online play only.

• May 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm — Reply

Seems very much like the Xbox X-men game that had an online component.

2. ~wyntermute~
    May 24, 2012 at 6:19 pm — Reply

Early indicators lead me to believe that this is BROWSER-BASED, like the Super Hero Crew (or whatever the Big-Head Li’l MarvelU hero-game is called). I visited a website of theirs (or maybe the one for this project before it got updated?), and the feeling I got was that they’re taking the browser-based experience from the “Kids-only” game, and adding adultyness to it. I could be completely mistaken, or have misunderstood what I read, and I can’t really remember where I found it, so… Take my rant with a few grains of salt for now.

3. May 25, 2012 at 9:31 am — Reply

Without the ability to play my own heroes like in City of Heroes and DCU I’ll be giving this one a pass, which is unfortunate because I am a Marvel fanboy at heart.

4. crs
    May 25, 2012 at 2:27 pm — Reply

I’ve been following this for a while and from my understanding this game WILL be browser based, free-to-play, with subscription services and micro transactions optional. If you have played the Super Hero Squad game at, it sounds like it will be a lot like that, but, wyntermute said, with more adultyness.

I’m excited.

5. May 30, 2012 at 7:26 am — Reply

I think Marvel Heroes doesn’t have character creation because there are already three other hero MMOs that does it. CO, COH and DCUO. I think they’re just trying to be different and I like it because we don’t really need another COH.