Even though reviews for the show were not stellar, and even though Bryan Johnson is currently in rehab, AMC has announced it is renewing Comic Book Men for a second season.

“Pinch my fat ass, ’cause I must be dreaming! A thousand thank you’s wouldn’t cover the gratitude I’m feeling right now. And as you might imagine, everyone at SModcast Pictures is in love with everyone at AMC today! Rest assured, Walt, Bry, Mike, Ming and I are suited up and ready to hit the ice for our second season with Team AMC,” said Smith.

I’m still not totally sold on the series, though by the end of the first season, the series had grown on me.  I think my biggest concern was the show walked all over an idea we’ve been developing at Major Spoilers, but with out the fat guy bearded guy annoying guy…. well, the idea IS different, trust me.

So will season two be better than the first? Smith seems to think so, so we’ll check it out when it debuts in the fall.

via Deadline

VIDEO: Kilt

COMIC BOOK LEGENDS: The Origin of The Avengers

1. Mathew Johnson
    May 9, 2012 at 3:46 pm — Reply

Bryan Johnson is no longer in rehab.

• May 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm — Reply

That is good news!

• May 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm — Reply

also the Rehab was for prescribed medication for a long standing issue with his knee, He went in to detox not because he was using or abusing illegal drugs. He wanted off the meds so he could finally get the surgery on his knee now that he has medical insurance and not have years of use contributing to issues with his recovery.

source: Smodcast, Tell em Steve-Dave episodes in March-April of 2012

I am Thrilled the show is back but I love the crew from there podcast and dvd commentary work…So I have far more exposure to them than folks that just watched the 6 42min episodes.

2. May 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm — Reply

The series grew on me too as the season got closer to the end. Same goes for Bryan Johnson. Hated him and thought he was annoying the first episode or two. Wish they could spend another minute or two on a particular subject, book or character during the podcast or in the store before someone’s lame one-liner came in but I understand it’s a 30 minute show minus commercials and time is precious.

3. alvarlux
    May 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm — Reply

This makes me happy – I was a big fan of the podcasts before the show was even an idea, and the show got my wife to pay attention to them.

4. May 9, 2012 at 9:33 pm — Reply

Anecdotally: My daughter was in an Easter pageant this year at the church she and my wife attend. The pastor stopped me, and asked about Comic Book Men. (He knows I work in a comic shop.) He asked me if that’s what comic book people are really like, and I said mostly not, and that I suspected there was exaggeration of character in play. His reponse? “I’m so glad to hear that, as they’re very unpleasant.”

I have now had pretty much this exact conversation five or six times…

• Lapis
      May 10, 2012 at 4:24 pm — Reply

My prob with the the show is that for “comic book men” seems like only 1 of them really knows much about comics. Doesnt seem like any of them could match you Matthew. Before I listen to youre podcast I thought I was a pretty badass comic historian but you def edge me out :)

5. DrNobody
    May 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm — Reply

I personally loved the series and found Bryan to be pretty funny… I guess I’m in the minority on this one? I also love Big Bang Theory too, which surprised me when I found out there was such a backlash from other comic book readers……. As if those guys DON’T exist out there… Just sayin’!!

• May 9, 2012 at 11:12 pm — Reply

I don’t think you are in the minority, he’s a likable fellow. My mention of his rehab was only to point out that if his rehab were still going on, it could throw a wrench into the production of the second season.

6. Ryan 'Halite' King
    May 10, 2012 at 9:22 am — Reply

I liked the show, but I already am a fan of Tell ’em Steve Dave. I would like it more if they were to cut the buying sequences out, or at least trim them down. I also felt that too much of the show was ‘staged’ around gags, or sequences instead of ‘reality’. These guys are funny without having to be set up.

• DrNobody
      May 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm — Reply

I think it’s AMC’s idea, as it was said somewhere online (sorry, don’t have the source info right now) that they had casting calls for people wanting to come in and sell their stuff to see how much it’s worth… Essentially someone at AMC wanting to get paid for the show, and like LA/Miami/NY Ink, the items are the tattoos, providing stories of regular people and their love of comic book related items and all that BS… I agree it should be toned down as well, and maybe get those that are clearly not serious about selling their item to not be on the show…

7. May 10, 2012 at 10:10 am — Reply

I watched the first 3 episodes and it all felt so contrived and forced. I felt the show did much to perpetuate the absolute worst stereotypes of comics, comic shops and comic fans.

Perhaps it became less cringe-worthy as the season wore on? Maybe I’ll give it another shot.

8. May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm — Reply

Shhhh, I liked the show. Also, I didn’t find anything unlikable or annoying about Bryan.

9. Jeff