As a child of the 1970’s, I freely admit that my comic book opinions are skewed by the Me Decade.  I dig Mike Grell’s Legion, John Romita’s Spider-Man, and Dick Dillin’s JLA.  I know that ROM and the Micronauts are firmly and forever part of the Marvel Universe, licensing restrictions be damned.  I even own a large collection of Treasury-sized editions (comics more giant than Giant-Size), including the wonderful “Superman Vs. The Amazing Spider-Man,” one of the earliest stories I ever read featuring either character.  In part because of this issue, I have always equated Doctor Octopus as being Spider-Man’s most cunning and powerful foe, which gets me into arguments with Green Goblin fans whenever I mention it.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced “Roe-Mee-Tah”) is this:  Who is really Spider-Man’s greatest enemy?  Is it Green Goblin?  Doc Ock?  Vulture?  Hypno-Hustler?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

TOP FIVE #19: Top Five Fictional Places We Would Like To Live

New Comics Releases for April 25, 2012

1. April 23, 2012 at 11:33 am — Reply

There can be only one: Stegron the Dinosaur Man:

Seriously though, I started reading Spidey comics when the Green Goblin was dead, so for me, I’d go with either Doc Ock or possibly the Hobgoblin. Maybe even the Lizard.

The problem is that Spidey has a lot of good villains who really stand out, but not as “the” villain. For example, Rhino. Great character, but not as the big bad.

Very tough question.

-c

2. Thomas
    April 23, 2012 at 11:53 am — Reply

Can we say Joey Q and the current writing staff of ASM? If not, I think Kraven is his most dangerous, all you need to do to know why is read “Kraven’s Last Hunt”

3. April 23, 2012 at 12:04 pm — Reply

If you are following what is going on in ASM right now, and are on board with what Dan Slott and Quesada are doing, then Doc Ock is by far the most terrifying of all villains.

4. Russ Catt
    April 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm — Reply

Doc Ock and Green Goblin are definitely the big two that I think of, but what about Kingpin?
    When I read a Spider-Man vs. Kingpin plotline, the conflict usually comes out as a draw with Spidey counting all his appendages and breathing a sigh of relief.

Kingpin is one of the few villains that has not been found wrapped up in webbing and dangling from a streetlight.

5. Gaumer
    April 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm — Reply

Peter Parker.

If not for that geek Spidey would be out and ballin’ and makin’ big dolla’s on all that Spidey swag they sell to the kiddies.

6. Oldcomicfan
    April 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm — Reply

Obviously, it would be Doc Ock. Gobbie didn’t survive his penultimate encounter with Spidey, and he was never more than a psychopath, but Doc Ock has not only survived but returned again and again. He’s probably Pete’s equal where intellect is concerned. He worked out who Spidey was and even went so far as to romance old Aunt May in order to get at Pete. Talk about despicable! I even like the Doc Ock from the Spiderman movie.

7. Brad
    April 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm — Reply

Venom, but I’m a sucker for dark mirrors.

8. Dan
    April 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm — Reply

When somebody asks me who is spidermans greatest adversary I always say Venom, before Carnage and that God awful second spiderman series fox had which I cant remember the name of, because he had the most connection to the webslinger. Brock was Parker’s rival at the Bugle for photographs of Spiderman. Venom always wanted to take over Spidermans body again since they complimented each other well. On all levels Venom is the bigger adversary for Spiderman.

9. KVH
    April 23, 2012 at 8:19 pm — Reply

Actually I think that J. Jonah Jameson is Spiderman’s greatest adversary. While not the “Super” Villain he does make Spiderman’s life more and more difficult and tries to turn the people of NYC Against him. In the times before, when the newspaper was king of information, those headlines held great power to sway people. Spiderman’s life and his personal life would likely be a lot easier in the public eye if he was not always having to prove that he is not the bad guy.

10. April 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm — Reply

As Stephen says, Doc Ock has been killing it lately. He’s never seemed more threatening – helps that he lost the stunner shades and bowl cut. So I’d go with him or…..

Venom…. he quickly became one of my favorite characters when I started reading comics as a kid, what can I say? Visually, Venom is terribly striking – an evil, hulking Spider-Man with a mouthful of nasty. I still love the big lug.

11. Brother129
    April 23, 2012 at 10:40 pm — Reply

Um…Green Goblin threw his girlfriend off a freakin’ bridge. Case closed.

• Gehrigan
      April 24, 2012 at 4:21 am — Reply

Only after he slept with her :)