News out of H’wood has Marvel Studios and Disney in talks with Ben Kingsley to star as the big bad in Iron Man 3. But everyone is denying that he’s up for the Mandarin.

On the one hand, one could take the excessive denying as an indication that Kingsley WILL play the Mandarin, except insiders appear to be indicating that Iron Man 3 will be based on Warren Ellis’ Extremis series that featured nanotechnolgy as well as rebooting Iron Man’s origin story.

We’ll find out in a few days if Sir Ben has accepted the role, and appear on screen with Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, and Scarlett Johansson. Iron Man 3 is scheduled to arrive May 03, 2013.

via Variety

REVIEW: The Bionic Woman #1

On the Next Major Spoilers Podcast: The Goon: Chinatown

1. Davis
    April 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm — Reply

He will play Mandarin as badly as Micky played Whiplash.
    I love the movies… but, the villains have sucked!
    (Yes, even bald-headed Jeff Bridges who I love, as an actor!)
    Kingsley already looks like Ming the Merciless!
    (Just draw a mustache… or he could be Hitler with a proper wig!)

2. Kevin
    April 10, 2012 at 7:10 am — Reply

That reboot part scares me a little, and too behonest drives me a little crazy, it seems sometimes that hollywood only believes that the good superhero stories are origins. I totally agree the villains have sucked, personally I’d love to see The Hammers return as Justin Hammer’s ex-wife (the real power behind Hammer industries as opposed to the used Car salesman), or even yes the mandarin, but seriously ben kingsley does not have a good history of playing villains.

3. Jimmy
    April 10, 2012 at 9:40 am — Reply

Wait, they’re talking about rebooting the Iron Man origin… But with Robert Downey Jr. still as Tony Stark? Something isn’t adding up here.

• April 10, 2012 at 10:31 am — Reply

I don’t think anyone said they were rebooting…. I said the Extremis storyline rebooted the Iron Man origin…

• Jimmy
        April 10, 2012 at 11:38 am — Reply

OH! Okay. Yep, I read that wrong. I was really, really confused for a minute there.

In that case, I support Iron Man 3 featuring Extremis 100%. Extremis was actually the first modern Iron Man arc I ever read, and I really enjoyed it.

4. b003
    April 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm — Reply

I’m up for anything that doesn’t suck “The Marvel Way”!