This weekend, Disney/Marvel fired back at the DC Nation block of programming on the Cartoon Network with the premiere of Ultimate Spider-Man.

As the series begins, Peter Parker has been Spider-Man for one year. He has saved lives and fought supervillains, but he is still in the process of learning how to be a superhero. Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. offers Peter the chance to train to be a real superhero and become “The Ultimate Spider-Man”. However, beforehand Peter will have to learn how to work with a team of four fellow teenage superheroes. The teen heroes Spider-Man will be teaming up with are Nova, White Tiger, Iron Fist, and Power Man

Did you take the time to check it out? We want to know what you think! Use the comment section below to share your thoughts and reactions. Was it too comedic? Did it talk down to the audience, or was it so super awesome that you set your DVR to record each and every episode?

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

TALK BACK: Wrath of the Titans

Zenescope Entertainment announces Grimm 52

1. BlueBeetle
    April 2, 2012 at 9:17 am — Reply

I enjoyed it more than my kids. Not sure if that is a good thing for the series but I’m certainly on board.

I though it really reminiscent of Scrubs with all the cuts to Spider-man day dreaming.

SPOILER: I kinda like the turn about where you find out the team is actually more green to the pitfalls of super-heroing than Spidey.

• Zakattack11
      April 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm — Reply

Definetly

2. Xian
    April 2, 2012 at 11:00 pm — Reply

I really really want to like this series… and there is a lot to like… but it has two things that are making this something I just queue up on the DVR and blow through on a rainy weekend rather than anticipate every episode: 1) CONSTANT theme-less music; 2) Waaay too much moving cuts.

1) I have this same problem with Generation Rex, despite loving Ben 10. Generation Rex has a non-stop metal / rock soundtrack that only fades but never ever shuts up… and it lacks any emotional impact, any grand themes, or the confidence to be silent. The constant noise makes me literally tune out. Two people can’t just have a conversation, there needs to be electric guitars accompanying it!

2) This is the visual equivalent of the auditory diarrhea above. I like that there’s lots of genuine animation and not just cheap-anime only-the-mouths-move shortcuts… but there’s also way too many tacky speedlines, motion blur fx, motion cuts, shakey cam, zooming shots, excessive panning, etc. They have trouble just sitting still, using an establishing shot, etc. I get that kids all supposedly have ADHD now, but I don’t think catering to that makes a better cartoon. And it’s not like I don’t like frenetic action or fast cuts when the scene suits it… but, again, even dialogue is crazy jump-cutty.

TL;DR – I’d love this show if it didn’t give me epilepsy.

• Xian
      April 2, 2012 at 11:01 pm — Reply

Generator Rex that is…

3. Zakattack11
    April 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm — Reply

prolly the best (currently airing) cartoon on TV. yes…i do have my DVR set to record every episode.

4. Frankthetake
    May 11, 2012 at 2:23 pm — Reply

This incarnation of Peter Parker might as well be called Ben 10. He’s nothing like the Peter Parker from the last 50 years. The jokes aren’t funny, and it’s a pretty obvious toy commercial. Terrible show.