Image Comics announces that “Li’l Depressed Boy” will take a trip to Camp Gambino in issue #10 of the series, featuring a special guest appearance by rapper Childish Gambino, who kicks off his much anticipated “Camp” tour with a string of sold-out shows including opening night on April 5th in Austin, TX. A limited number of copies featuring an exclusive cover designed by THE LI’L DEPRESSED BOY artist Sina Grace will be available for purchase only on the Camp Tour starting in Iowa City on April 16th.
In the issue, a concert rekindles a memory of loneliness and a person who made a difference in Li’l Depressed Boy’s life — rapper Childish Gambino, who urges him to climb out of his cocoon and experience the world. The experience will lead Li’l Depressed Boy on a new path in his life, sending the comic series in a new direction. The appearance in the comic marks the first time a guest will participate in the actual narrative and not just as a setting.
“It’s eerily alarming how much the themes in Childish Gambino’s ‘Camp’ are going to play out not only in this issue, but the story arc to come,” said artist Sina Grace.
“When I came across his music, it quickly ascended to the top of every playlist,” said writer S. Steven Struble. “I feel a kinship with what he says in his songs. He’s creating something earnest and true to his life, and I’m trying to do the same with mine.”
As Grace simply puts it: “He loves the comics, we love the music, we wanted to make art together. His appearance is bringing the best out of both Struble and myself.”
Initial solicitations of the issue featured a different cover and story summary from the issue’s final incarnation. THE LI’L DEPRESSED BOY #10 will include additional story pages and will be in comics stores on April 25 and can be pre-ordered now with the Diamond Comics code (NOV110460).
ABOUT THE LI’L DEPRESSED BOY
Originally an anthologized web-comic, THE LI’L DEPRESSED BOY found its print home at Image Comics in 2011, maintaining a cult status early on. The series follows the non-adventures of a rag doll boy on his quest for love, happiness, and a good album on vinyl.
For More information, visit www.depressedboy.com
On Twitter – @struble, and @SinaGrace
ABOUT IMAGE COMICS
Image Comics is a comic book and graphic novel publisher founded in 1992 by a collective of best-selling artists. Image has since gone on to become one of the largest comics publishers in the United States. Image currently has five partners: Robert Kirkman, Erik Larsen, Todd McFarlane, Marc Silvestri and Jim Valentino. It consists of five major houses: Todd McFarlane Productions, Top Cow Productions, Shadowline, Skybound and Image Central. Image publishes comics and graphic novels in nearly every genre, sub-genre, and style imaginable. It offers science fiction, romance, horror, crime fiction, historical fiction, humor and more by the finest artists and writers working in the medium today. For more information, visit www.imagecomics.com.
ABOUT CHILDISH GAMBINO
Childish Gambino released his Glassnote Records debut album CAMP on November 15th, 2011 and has emerged as one of the most exciting young talents in music. Landing at #11 on the Billboard Top 200 Chart and #2 on the Billboard Hip-Hop charts, CAMP has received critical acclaim from publications such as The Source, XXL, Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone, NPR and more. Childish Gambino, with his unique blend of hip-hop genres and lyrical genius, has gone from a viral cult following to a mega sensation.
Childish Gambino’s much anticipated “Camp” Tour will hit a total of 35 cities across the United States and Canada, including performances at Coachella, Sasquatch and Bonnaroo Music Festivals.
For any additional information, please check out www.childishgambino.com and www.iamdonald.com and @DonaldGlover
- April 5, Austin, TX at Stubbs (SOLD OUT)
- April 6, Houston, TX at House of Blues (SOLD OUT)
- April 7, Dallas, TX at Palladium Ballroom
- April 10, Tucson, AZ at Rialto Theatre
- April 11, Phoenix, AZ at Venue of Scottsdale (SOLD OUT)
- April 16, Iowa City, IA at University of Iowa
- April 18, Sacramento, CA at Ace of Spades (SOLD OUT)
- April 19, Oakland, CA at Fox Theatre (SOLD OUT)
- April 30, Sayreville, NJ at Starland Ballroom (SOLD OUT)
- May 9, Chicago, IL at Riviera Theatre (SOLD OUT)
- May 10, Minneapolis, MN at Epic
- June 5, Denver, CO at Ogden Theatre
- June 7, St Louis, MO at The Pageant
- June 10, Atlanta, GA at The Tabernacle (SOLD OUT)
- June 12, Orlando, FL at Hard Rock Live
- June 13, Miami, FL at The Fillmore
- June 15, Indianapolis, IN at Egyptian Room
- June 16, Cleveland, OH at House of Blues
- June 18, Pittsburg, PA at Stage AE
- June 19, Buffalo, NY at Town Ballroom
- June 21, Boston, MA at Bank of America Pavilion
- June 22, Philadelphia, PA at River Stage at Penn’s Landing
- June 23, Baltimore, MD at Pier Six Pavilion
- June 25, New York, NY at Central Park Summerstage (SOLD OUT)
- July 25, Kansas City, MO at Beaumont Club
- July 27, Asheville, NC at The Orange Peel
- July 28, Charlotte, NC at Time Warner Cable Uptown Amphitheatre
- July 29, Richmond, VA at The National (SOLD OUT)
- July 31, Toronto, ON at Echo Beach
- Aug 1, Montreal, QC at Metropolis
- Aug 3, Detroit, MI at The Fillmore