So you may have heard there is a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie coming out from Michael Bay.  And you may have heard that the heroes in a half-shell are no longer mutants, but rather aliens from beyond.  It looked like the fervor was settling down over that announcement, until we found out TMNT isn’t going to be called TMNT at all, but simply, Ninja Turtles.

Michael Bay has something to say about that, too.

“Paramount marketing changed the name. They made the title simple. The characters you all remember are exactly the same, and yes they still act like teenagers. Everything you remember, why you liked the characters, is in the movie. This script is being developed by two very smart writers, with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles. They care VERY MUCH about making this film for the fans. Everyone on this team cares about the fans. Just give them a chance. Jonathan the director, is a major fan of the whole franchise. HE’S NOT GOING TO LET YOU DOWN.

I expect next week, we’ll hear that the turtles are female, and that they really aren’t turtles at all, but rather cats.  And instead of ninja, they are actually samurai.

Ninja Turtles is scheduled to arrive December 25, 2013.

Because Paramount is being a dick about using TMNT images, the above is by artist Enrique Rivera from his DeviantArt page.

ECCC'12: BOOM! Studios announces Emerald City plans

TRAILER: International Avengers trailer shows off Black Widow

1. March 27, 2012 at 9:50 am — Reply

Well, that just makes me want to curse. However, I won’t since “The Gutters” summed up my feelings pretty well.

2. Nordberg01
    March 27, 2012 at 11:48 am — Reply

“I guess we’ll just have to sit back and hope that Mr. Bay treats the franchise with the same love and respect that he did with those wonderful ‘Transformers’ sequels,” Nordberg01 said, with tongue place firmly in cheek.

3. March 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm — Reply

Well, so much for going to see this movie.

4. randoom42
    March 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm — Reply

Shouldn’t have said “aliens”

5. Ced
    March 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm — Reply

The title of a TV kid show is too complex for movie goers??!!

• Slappy
      March 28, 2012 at 4:59 am — Reply

Maybe it is too comples for Bay.

6. James Winston
    March 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm — Reply

There is a song by Your Favorite Martin called Nerd Rage. one line from the song sums up my feelings on this. Hit Bay in the d*** with a stick till he’s sore.

7. Oldcomicfan
    March 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm — Reply

Vote with your pocket book, kiddoes! If nobody goes to see this steaming pile, and Michael Bay loses a couple hundred million, maybe he’ll get the idea and either learn to flush when he’s done, or go back to making GOOD movies.

8. Alexander D.
    March 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm — Reply

I think this statement sounds like desperation to me. He’s trying to say that this movie is for fans, but is changing two things about the story; the name and the origin. By changing those fundamental aspects he’s making it into something completely different, and people dislike change. Personally I’m going to wait until the movie reaches the dollar theatre in my town before going to see it because it sounds like a movie that I’m going to go into expecting to be bad and I don’t want to pay usual price for that kind of movie.

9. Mike Krug
    March 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm — Reply

I think it’s great that this guys has managed to get 3 generations of fans angry at him. On a side note, where did you get the image from?

10. March 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm — Reply

“I expect next week, we’ll hear that the turtles are female, and that they really aren’t turtles at all, but rather cats. And instead of ninja, they are actually samurai.”

And they run a pizzeria and have a giant mecha. And the rat’s now their enemy & he’s always drunk off his ass.

Hey, wait, I’d actually watch that.

11. ~wyntermute~
    March 27, 2012 at 6:20 pm — Reply

Dear Mr. Bay,

Will you kindly go @#($ yourself?

Sincerely yours, Angry Fanbase. ^_^

12. TheNewNum.2
    March 28, 2012 at 1:09 am — Reply

Well, not to be the voice of reason or anything… but since Mr. Explosions did go with the whole aliens-instead-of-mutants thing, it would be kind of strange to call the movie TMNT. The ‘M’ does stand for Mutants after all.

13. Seneca
    March 28, 2012 at 7:37 am — Reply

Personally I dont care what he calls the movie. It’s not like we demanded for the X-men film to be called Uncanny X-men. He could just call it Turtles for all I care, but taking the mutant out of TMNT and making them aliens really does chafe my ass.

14. Atli
    March 28, 2012 at 12:38 pm — Reply

I trust them, I don’t trust Bay and that he has probably ordered them to make those changes and still somehow “make it for the fans”. He’s the boss from hell, but good on those guys he mentioned, I will give them a chance.

15. Walsh
    April 1, 2012 at 12:56 am — Reply

Whenever I see a creator–be it director, writer, artist, whatever–say something along the lines of, “This is for the fans,” or “We care about the fans,” there’s this little voice in the back of my head that starts screaming, “Watch that hand coming up your ass! It’s looking for quarters!”