Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

MOVIES: The secret behind The Avengers revealed

SNEAK PEEK: Atomic Robo: Real Science Adventures #1

1. Keith
    March 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm — Reply

This poll seems to be stacked. I would prefer to vote for Venom because I am really not Spawn fan but, in an allout fight, Spawn has the advantage of being a demon and not just an alien. This would probably make Spawn the victor.

2. March 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm — Reply

In such a ficht only one victor can emerge : the comic-book reading public.

3. March 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm — Reply

I voted for Spawn for two reasons. 1: I’ve read and enjoyed more Spawn books than books Spawn appeared in. 2: Despite being quite bad, I prefer the Spawn movie to Venom’s appearance in Spider-Man 3.

4. foolsmask
    March 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm — Reply

Spawn would win this easy, unless I was writing it. After two issues of fighting I’d contrive some reason to have Venom beat the snot out of Spawn, then blend the symbiotes and make one awesome, badass symbiote for a four issue mini with Eddie Brock as the main character.

5. March 27, 2012 at 6:21 pm — Reply

I went with Venom because Spawn used to have limits to his powers, and I assume those would still be in effect for any such fight. While he might have the initial upper hand, I do feel Venom would win in the long run simply for being able to easily take a new host temporarily, something I don’t believe the Spawn symbiote could do so easily. If any of the supernatural Spawn enemies or allies were around for Venom to take as a host, the fight would end much quicker.

6. Oldcomicfan
    March 27, 2012 at 7:01 pm — Reply

I went with Spawn because he is a dead guy who had returned from Hell, and, being dead already, he would be difficult to kill. Venom, on the other hand, is just some sort of alien foot fungus who needs a host body before he can do much of anything. Spawn would just rip him off the host, send the host to hades, and the stomp the bejezus out of the remains of Venom.

7. J. R. Scherer
    March 27, 2012 at 7:49 pm — Reply

Symbiote, schmymbiote.

I just like saying that out loud.

8. Law
    March 27, 2012 at 9:28 pm — Reply

C’mon!! Everyone knows Spawn had a power level where he could throw planets around. Venom got beat by Quasar In about 3 panels. This is no contest.

9. Arbor Day
    March 27, 2012 at 9:51 pm — Reply

Depends on which Venom. Maybe one of the perfect bonding Venoms like Punisher-Venom could kill take Spawn. Or one of the insane cannibalistic Venoms.

10. March 28, 2012 at 1:12 am — Reply

I went with Spawn (even though I’ve never read an issue) simply because of the time Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls emulated him so she could be “dark”.

Awesome.

-c

11. Sebastian
    March 28, 2012 at 6:58 am — Reply

Venom can’t compete against the powers of hell.

12. aerohalen
    March 28, 2012 at 8:25 am — Reply

isnt Spawn immortal?

• Sebastian
      March 28, 2012 at 8:53 am — Reply

That depends on the spawn you are talking about. The hellspawns are part of the armies of hell. If you decapitate one of them then he/she is dead.

Al Simmons who was the main protagonist in the comics parted ways from hell and also heaven. He decided to take sides with the “Earth” itself. By defeating Malbolgia (Ruler of Hell) Spawn became something different.

Todd McFarlane has not yet explained fully what had happened to Al Simmons. In the newer issues of Spawn we get a small glimpse of Al Simmons whereabouts when the new Spawn (Jim) is confronted by Al Simmons himself.

I personally believe that Al Simmons/Spawn became some kind of a new deity.

13. James Winston
    March 28, 2012 at 12:35 pm — Reply

Venom. All the simbiote would just over the better host. So in the end it would be alien/hell spawn hybrid.

14. GeorgeDubya
    March 28, 2012 at 4:06 pm — Reply

I didn’t have much to say about this poll that wasn’t obvious, Matthew. I’ve never really been a big fan of Spawn or Venom, and I think you had it right when you said that Venom’s obvious weaknesses outweigh his strengths and would lead to his downfall. Are you happy now Peterson?

• March 28, 2012 at 8:28 pm — Reply

Are you happy now Peterson?

I’d be happier with half a dozen vodka sours and a new day job. :)

• GeorgeDubya
        March 28, 2012 at 10:06 pm — Reply

I’d go with some whiskey sours and a new day job myself.

15. March 28, 2012 at 7:13 pm — Reply

Against against Eddie Brock and most other hosts, Spawn would win easily considering he’s a combination of Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider and yes, Venom. But it would be interesting to see him square against current Venom Flash Thompson, especially considering both men have specials ops backgrounds. Still, my money is on the Hellspawn.

16. dantemarx
    March 30, 2012 at 10:33 am — Reply

Well, based on my understanding of how this all works in typical versus comics…
    1: Spawn and Venom would meet and begin to fight
    2: A demon alien villain then would show up and incapacitate Venom’s current host, requiring that the symbiote and and the spawn fuse.
    3: Profit