Word out of Anaheim has Carol Danvers no longer wanting the title Ms. Marvel, but instead wants to be known as Captain Marvel.

Carol gained superpowers, and the name Ms. Marvel, after being exposed to a Kree device being used in a battle, but now she’s getting her own ongoing series titled Captain Marvel. The series will be written by Kelly Sue DeConnick, with art by Dexter Soy.

“My pitch was called ‘Pilot’ and the take can pretty much be summed up with ‘Carol Danvers as Chuck Yeager,” said DeConnick. “Carol’s the virtual definition of a Type A personality. She’s a competitor and a control freak. At the start of our series, we see Carol pre-Captain Marvel, pre-NASA even, back when she was a fiercely competitive pilot. We’ll see her meeting one of her aviation heroes and we’ll see her youthful bravado, her swagger. Then over the course of the first arc we’re going to watch her find her way back to that hungry place. She’ll have to figure out how to be both Captain Marvel and Chuck Yeager—to marry the responsibility of that legacy with the sheer joy being nearly invulnerable and flying really fast.”

The first issue kicks off in July.

via various

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

REVIEW: Doctor Who #15

WONDERCON'12: Brian Wood to take on two X-Men teams this summer

1. Ian
    March 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm — Reply

Certainly better than “Warbird”. The headgear/hair looks bad, though.

• Michael
      March 19, 2012 at 7:07 am — Reply

The artwork that shows the headgear is terrible, so I’ll wait until I see it by a different artist (or, if Mr. Soy did the two splashes with the short hair, rendered better).

2. March 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm — Reply

Cool! I look forward to seeing what they will do with this.

3. March 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm — Reply

I will say that she is vaguely similar to my memories of the Marvelman universe characters…

4. March 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm — Reply

I like it better than her current bathing suit look… I believe Marvel made a run at this before, with Carol serving as Cap’n Marvel during the events of House of Muh. I want to say that they announced plans to make her into the new Captain rolling out of that series, too, but punted in favor of the revived Captain that we saw not long after, dovetailing into Secret Invasion.

5. Praion
    March 19, 2012 at 3:19 am — Reply

Cpt. Marvel is Shazam, Ms. Marvel is Captain Marvel

Mary Marvel is Ms. Marvel?

• ~wyntermute~
      March 19, 2012 at 7:06 am — Reply

I hope Mary Marvel becomes _MISS_ Marvel. That’d be appropriate, no? Captain Marvel Jr. needs a rename now… Unless we have a Mini-Carol running around? Regardless, CM3 just got irrelevent’d.

• Michael
        March 19, 2012 at 7:11 am — Reply

I don’t think we’ll see Mary Batson or Freddie in their Marvel guises for a long time at least.

I like “Miss Marvel”. Calls for a team up with Miss Martian.

“Shazam! Junior” would be the natural new name for Freddie.

• Praion
          March 19, 2012 at 8:16 am — Reply

what about

Mar-Junior-Vel ?

• BlueBeetle
            March 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm — Reply

Freddie Mercury when he teams up with Merc from the Metal Men.

6. March 19, 2012 at 8:11 am — Reply

as long as they are not bringing back Mar-Vell, I am happy.

7. BlueBeetle
    March 19, 2012 at 8:49 am — Reply

Who did the first and third image? I assume the second is a preview of the comic itself, but I like the others much better.

8. alvarlux
    March 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm — Reply

Why did they give Carol Danvers the Phoenix haircut?

9. Navarre
    March 19, 2012 at 8:01 pm — Reply

I have always been a fan of Carol. I felt she was Marvel’s closest equivalent to Wonder Woman.

Her long-standing history, team affiliations, power set, and personality have her as an intrinsic part of the Marvel universe. Yet, like most female characters, she is usually written as a supporting character or a spotlight-hogging bitch.

I like the costume fairly well. It has a sort of 1970’s Marvel Comics feel which, really, suits Carol as that sort of iconic hero.

I would like to see a female character hold a title for a while. I will look forward to this.

• March 20, 2012 at 7:13 pm — Reply

I do not think I have every heard anyone put Carol this way and I think I completely agree with it. Who else would be the Wonder Woman equivalent? Storm? She-Hulk? She-Hulk has the Avengers’ pedigree but I think Carol takes the top spot.

• DMC
        March 21, 2012 at 11:07 pm — Reply

Na, I think overall it goes to Storm.
        Between her, Carol and She-Hulk, I think Storm’s had the most media exposure making her (arguably) Marvel’s most popular female super heroine. Though she isn’t an Avengers veteran she’s definitely the first lady of the X-Men…well when Jean’s not around. And I think her personality fits closer to Wonder Woman’s as well. Plus they’ve both got that goddess thing going on.

Unfortunately it’s a fact for WW these days……

• March 22, 2012 at 7:50 am — Reply

I do not disagree. However, if we are going by media exposure then Carol Ferris from the Movie that dare not speak its name has more exposure right now then Wonder Woman.

And that is sad . . .

• March 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm — Reply

Who else would be the Wonder Woman equivalent? Storm? She-Hulk?

Why do they need one? And, given that Carol’s superhero career has been defined by someone else (both in and out of universe, as in-universe she’s a distaff Captain Marvel, whereas her latest incarnation is clearly influence by Geoff Johns Hal Jordan), I don’t think there’s that clear of a parallel. Honestly, I’d say that the Marvel Universe’s closest analogue to Wonder Woman WOULD probably be Storm, at least in terms of iconography and relative standing in the superhero community. If this Captain Marvel gig works out, Carol has the potential to get there, but they have to find something that really makes her special, that makes her stand out as a unique character rather than as a relic of the 1970s…

10. L1701E
    March 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm — Reply

Not a fan of the new costume, but love the new name. *salutes* Congrats, Carol. You earned it.

11. Nick
    March 19, 2012 at 10:09 pm — Reply

Anybody notice she looks a lot like Miracleman\Marvelman? is this intentional?

12. b003
    March 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm — Reply

She needs the sparky BINARY hair.