Critical Hit: A Major Spoilers D and D podcast
The Off Season

This episode: It’s PCs vs. NPC in an epic battle to see who will get the honor of going out to fight for everyone in the land!

Direct Download

RSS Feed

Take the jump for the image from this episode.

Have you purchased your Critical Hit T-Shirt? Order one today!

Paladins and Dinosaurs

Dino art by DR Studios

Contact us at

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

Major Spoilers Podcast #393: Thudenly Thurthday Live!

WONDERCON'12: The Girls of Wondercon 2012

1. J. R. Scherer
    March 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm — Reply

I think it’s genuinely hilarious that you guys give Matthew the most complicated character to play, and also Brian a character that uses area effect powers when you use the house rule of one attack roll vs all targets. Poor guys.

• March 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm — Reply

Oddly enough, Burai is a character that Rob and I worked in-depth to develop BECAUSE of his particularly complicated skillsets.

By contrast, mechanically speaking, Sir Brenzen and Arbalest were 90 to 95% Rodrigo and Torq’s initial configuration was his as well. Burai, much like Kodan Firewalker from Stephen’s game, was created out of my desire to play a particular character archetype, and Rob used his expertise to help shape that into something workable for the game (and, indeed, for HIS game.)

• J. R. Scherer
        March 18, 2012 at 1:29 am — Reply

Ah, so you’re a masochist. ;)

2. Todd
    March 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm — Reply

These first 3 episodes were fun, but now it’s really getting exciting. Just out of curiousity, how many sessions did this adventure take? seems longer then one session.

• Sol Hawk the Ninja
      March 18, 2012 at 11:25 am — Reply

I have to say I didn’t know what to expect with a title like “Dinosaurs and Paladins.” But Rob, I have to take my hat off to you. The campaign setting you’re designing is compelling and highly entertaining. Dinosaurs as gods? That is really brilliant. I am really enjoying the chance to partake of your DMing style. You run a truly awesome game.

3. Thecrazy8
    March 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm — Reply

I’m most definitely going to use this arena in my personal campaign! My players would have a ball falling and crawling back up the hole. Not sure where you guys are getting the majority of Brian’s powers but I’m afraid to let my players touch the source due to the chaos it would cause.

• March 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm — Reply

Most of them should be either from the PHB2 or the Divine Power book. I tried to avoid using powers and feats from the internet.

4. Anthony Lauer
    March 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm — Reply

Just wondering if one of last weeks shirts from is from this adventure….

5. Marco
    March 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm — Reply

From now on, every time I’m feeling down I’m gonna go back and listen to you guys loosing it in the first 5 minutes of this show. Every character should be introduced by Brian: can’t stop laughing! Thank you all. Paragon characters are complicated!

6. Billy
    March 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm — Reply

“Stupid o’clock” is right. Why would a culture have their heros fight to the DEATH to give a group the right to fight for their land? Makes no sense. Best part: The hilarious comments and laughter during the character descriptions. Well done.

• March 22, 2012 at 8:08 am — Reply

Notice no one dies in this fight, they simply fall in a giant hole.

• Micah
      March 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm — Reply

The Mayans would play a game like soccer and basketball combined, the winners of which were sacrificed to the gods. You don’t want to sacrifice your worst people, after all. That’s kind of a slap in the face to the gods. Then again, the Mayan civilization died out…

• Sol Hawk
      March 24, 2012 at 8:08 am — Reply

Dude, the Dinosaur Gods DEMAND BLOOD. It is a brutal precident, but hey, the dinosaurs survived for hundreds of millions of years, so you know. Survival of the Fittest.

• Sol Hawk
      March 24, 2012 at 8:10 am — Reply

• Sol Hawk
        March 24, 2012 at 8:10 am — Reply

Also Sol Hawk the Ninja is awesome, too.

7. dp8351
    March 22, 2012 at 12:14 am — Reply

Glad to see them pull it off, otherwise we would have had a pretty weird “what do we do now” situation…

8. Micah
    March 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm — Reply

When people rag on 4e as being too much like WoW, I shall cite this campaign (yes and Rodrigo’s too). This is such a perfect example of taking the rules and making something totally new out of them. I especially liked the intro skill challenge from part 1. I have to admit, when it got really close toward the end, I was on the edge of my seat. I can’t wait to see what they ‘won’!