A number of home security options have appeared over the years, but with the coming apocalypse (no, not THAT Apocalypse), home protection is going to be at a premium.  While bazookas, slings and arrows, and any number of MOABs will work, alternate options have appeared that might work, and be fun at the same time.

Who would you rather have defending your home?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

SOLICITATIONS: New Vincent Price series on the way in May

DIGITAL COMICS: Marvel graphic novels land on Apple's iBookstore

1. sliksham
    February 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm — Reply

I voted plants because they have better accuracy and don’t rely on ‘lucky’ bounces to get the job done.

2. Xaxelbrax
    February 28, 2012 at 1:23 pm — Reply

I don’t know any about either, so I voted Angry Birds beccause it’s a better picture.

3. February 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm — Reply

I don’t have to worry about the plants turning on me if I have an omelet.

4. Alexander D.
    February 28, 2012 at 1:40 pm — Reply

I voted for Plants because I would simply need to install a sprinkler system for them.

5. Jimmy
    February 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm — Reply

I picked the plants–you would have to keep the birds angry for them to be effective, and if they catch you stealing their eggs you’d be in trouble.

6. David L
    February 28, 2012 at 1:52 pm — Reply

No migrating makes plants the better natural defenders.

7. JoeM
    February 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm — Reply

The plants are all about defense. And I’m more worried about zombies than I am about pigs. Although, come to think of it, I’m more likely to be attacked by egg-eating pigs than zombies.

8. Carter
    February 28, 2012 at 2:03 pm — Reply

I voted plants because of the reduced chances of collateral damage to the structure of my house.

9. JambaTheHutt
    February 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm — Reply

I’m going with Angry Birds. First becuase they are nothing if not angry, which in my mind makes them better killers. Secondly, birds that can explode always have a soft spot in my heart.

10. February 28, 2012 at 2:23 pm — Reply

It’s a common fact that in an Apocalypse situation eventually the sun will go black, dust will block its rays, or will turn to blood. When this happens how will plants perform their precious photosynthesis? A flock of angry birds is what I want.

• February 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm — Reply

Sun shrooms

• February 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm — Reply

I don’t do drugs.

• February 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm — Reply

But if plants can’t photosynthesize, what are the birds going to eat?

• Xaxelbrax
            February 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm — Reply

pigs

11. James Adams
    February 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm — Reply

For Hitchcock’s sake, I choose birds!

12. John I.G.
    February 28, 2012 at 3:04 pm — Reply

Here’s the deal, the Plants are actually defending your home, whereas Angry birds don’t defend they are only offensive, destroying those poor pigs constructions.

So Plants, because Angry Birds have no experience in defense, and the Plants have survived hordes and hordes of zombies.

13. February 28, 2012 at 3:12 pm — Reply

I think that the Plants are far better defenders – they don’t die as a necessity of their job, like the Angry Birds, so you don’t have to worry about running out. Even if there’s no sun shining, I can still pull out some ‘shrooms to protect my turf!

14. February 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm — Reply

Both the birds and plants come with a large variety of types that can be tailored to specific conditions, but when you boil it down, essentially this battle is ‘do you want a gun or a catapult?’

The plants fire at a regular rate, in a straight line. The birds are launched from a sling shot and require proper angle and with the correct velocity to hit a specific target. And while I will concede that the angry birds tend to bring more bang per bird, being able to topple large constructs and annihilate pigs within a single launch, the required skill and practice makes them rather costly in terms of time compared with the strictly drop and watch tactic with the plants.

In terms of home defense, the plants offer the most protection for smallest investment. A handful of sun from either mother nature or some inexpensive sun shrooms and you have a turret. Where as you need time, practice and steady hand to get the most out of your angry birds. For that reason, I will take the plants.

15. Lee
    February 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm — Reply

My wife and I were in Barnes & Nobels recently. While standing in line, I idly picked up one of the large, stuffed green pigs sitting in a bin next to us.
    I looked at my wife and said: “Hey, look, he has a crown, he must be the king.”
    She repied: “I don’t need that, I live with the king of pigs.”
    Putting the pig back in the bin, I muttered: “I live with an angry bird.”

To this day, we’ve never had eggs stolen or been attacked by zombies. That’s why I voted Angry Birds.

16. February 28, 2012 at 5:05 pm — Reply

I’m voting plants for a very simple reason : my house is NEVER attacked by green pigs.
    (Zombies, on the other hand, that’s a whole different story.)

17. Monte
    February 28, 2012 at 5:41 pm — Reply

Birds seem so much less efficient. Plants all the way for this one.

18. February 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm — Reply

Plants all the way. They’ll shoot peas at the target until either the plant or the target falls. The birds will dissapear immediately after they’re shot and you only get a limited set.

19. litanyofthieves
    February 28, 2012 at 7:08 pm — Reply

Physics and Aerodynamics are too much thinking for when I play a game. Plants get my vote!

20. Xian
    February 28, 2012 at 7:14 pm — Reply

ANGRY BIRDS… GOTTA POOP!

…so… plants.

21. February 28, 2012 at 7:17 pm — Reply

If you plant your plants strategically enough, you can ‘Set it and Forgetit’ as the immortal Ron Popeil used to say. Plus they make your yard look nice. The birds tend to leave piles of debris to clean up. Plants.

22. Xian
    February 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm — Reply

I think this poll is inherently biased since it asks about “defense” and PvZ is a tower-defense game while AB is a trajectory-offense game. Obviously, the organisms custom bred and bedded to protect will do better at defense than Kamakaze avians who can’t even protect their unborn young!

The poll should have been: “Would you rather have your home defended by Plants… or have the Birds wreak angry vengeance on any perpetrators afterwards?”

23. Rome
    February 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm — Reply

Birds and plants get along in the real world.

Leave it to humans to fantasize about weaponized nature.

Birds can be rather bullet like I guess so I suppose I’d rather use them in real life. But I actually HAVE both plants and small (not really angry) birds all around my house, so I hope they’ll help defend me if zombies and pigs come calling

24. Slappy
    February 28, 2012 at 9:29 pm — Reply

I’m voting the Monty Brewster ticket. None of the above.

25. February 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm — Reply

BIRDS ARE NOT TO BE TRUSTED. Angry, happy, or big — they cannot be trusted. At the first sight of trouble, they are going to fly away. The plants need to defend their ground because if they get uprooted, they die. They understand your plight and will fight by your side until, well, they’re eaten or you’re eaten.

26. Andrew
    February 28, 2012 at 11:19 pm — Reply

I voted birds because that means its only semisentient pigs attacking and not hordes of the undead.

27. James Winston
    February 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm — Reply

Hey I thought this poll was supposed to be about the wiinner of the Ash vs Capt. Kirk battle. Anywho I go with plants. The birds proved they have horible defense already ie. eggs being stolen in the first place. Plants are every where. Out and inside your home, at work standing right next to you and sending memos down the food chain to you. Heck even the robot over lord is afriad of plants.