What’s with the multiple universes in the New DCU, and more importantly, will there be a Batman of Earth-2?  DC answered the question today, with a first look of Bats by Jim Lee.

“Who will Batman kill to save his own daughter?” asks EARTH 2 editor Pat McCallum. “Right out of the gate that should tell you we’re dealing with a different kind of Dark Knight here. More ruthless, dangerous…the costume is familiar and yeah, there is a Wayne under the mask, but we’re looking at a man desperate to save the only family he has left. EARTH 2 is about to become a very bad place to be a bad guy.”

That’s a different look for a different universe.  It’s interesting that the cape looks like it will be colored dark green?

via The Source

MOVIES: Back to the Future's Bob Gale wants your help

MOVIES: More photos from the Riddick set

1. K-Dawg
    February 27, 2012 at 8:49 am — Reply

Pretty sure that says “dark grey” not “dark green”, that would indeed be a very radical change though

2. Andrew O.
    February 27, 2012 at 8:57 am — Reply

I’m pretty sure that says dark grey, but I could be wrong. Either way, why is he so spiky? The cape is cool, especially around the neck, but not very Batman-like at all. Why would he have something that impedes his ability to view his surroundings? That collar just seems like it’d get in the way.

3. TaZ
    February 27, 2012 at 9:02 am — Reply

I think that note is “dark grey”.

I think that this is possibly one of the best variations of the Batman costume that I’ve seen. Also note that “there is a Wayne under this mask” but which one? Thomas? Thomas, Jr.? Bruce? Damian? Dick Grayson Wayne? Tim Drake Wayne? This Batman using billy-clubs seems more like Dick Grayson than anyone else. I am really looking forward to this series.

4. BigPapaRama
    February 27, 2012 at 9:16 am — Reply

This is Daredevil dressed as Batman.

• February 27, 2012 at 9:25 am — Reply

You’re right, and considering who his daughter is (or is supposed to be) the Huntress look comes across in this design as well.

• ~wyntermute~
        February 27, 2012 at 7:32 pm — Reply

It really does look “Huntress-y” now that you mention that… I can see where Helena got her inspiration from, even though that is a sort of “paradox”…

5. Gibralter
    February 27, 2012 at 9:52 am — Reply

Behold The New 52! All new! all different! No wait what we mean is that it’s exactly the same as before just with new set dressings!

6. Matt S.
    February 27, 2012 at 10:45 am — Reply

I wish DC would stop letting Jim Lee over-redesign all of their characters.

7. Dan
    February 27, 2012 at 11:58 am — Reply

Looks like batman is going to channel daredevil and rorschach in this title.

8. JacinB
    February 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm — Reply

I’ll admit it: I like this a lot.

9. RBHSOregon
    February 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm — Reply

Bleagh. Not interested in an Earth-2 that’s all about the Big Three. I was really hoping for some JSA action in the New 52. Earth-DarkKnight, not so much.

• February 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm — Reply

JSA is still on the list in the next wave.

• TaZ
      February 27, 2012 at 3:29 pm — Reply

There’s nothing yet that says there’s no JSA on this Earth. Or what time frame these stories are set. With the new “World’s Finest” set on E-2 with Power Girl and Huntress the only change would be that there’s a “Batman”. The JSA world was pretty much still “Big 3” centered until they passed away and Alan Scott, Jay Garrick and Ted Grant became the “big 3”.

• Allen
      February 27, 2012 at 6:39 pm — Reply

I know its unrealistic, but I’ve always wanted to see the Silver Agey JSA, with old Supes, Bats, etc. and all the sidekicks taking over, etc. This looks more like “see how rough you have to be on a war torn world, you liberals!” versions and I’m not really into it.

10. February 27, 2012 at 2:56 pm — Reply

“Dk Gray” Could mean Dick Grayson :) SPECULATION

11. ~wyntermute~
    February 27, 2012 at 7:28 pm — Reply

Wasn’t part of the “not-reboot” so we didn’t have all these confusing alternate-earthie types running around? Like, to “streamline continuity” or something? Oh, wait… F-Continuity~! (TM Major Spoilers Inc.) Dare-sharch might be an interesting concept, though… I kinda always wondered, in the “old Earth-2” world, what it would’ve (see, it’s not “would of”) been like when Middle-Aged-Batman & High-School-Huntress were working together. Hopefully this will lead into towards an intelligent portrayal of that (i.e., Batman and Batgirl), and not the satirical “Big Daddy/Hit Girl” pairing (which is fine & works in its own context, but hopefully this isn’t that context).
    Also hopefully: since this is a “Dark Mean Batman”, maybe he will remain in the background of NewEarth-2, while the more media-friendly Jay Garrick & Friends are the “Big Deal Team” on par with NewEarth-1’s JLA.. So you’d still have the JSA/JLA annual crossover potential~! (Okay, now I’m letting myself get too hopeful for the return of “Crisis on Earth [1/2/A/Prime/S/etc]”!!)

12. Oldcomicfan
    February 28, 2012 at 4:51 am — Reply

Like the man said, I am not interested in an Earth-2. Why can’t DC learn from it’s past mistakes? What’s next? Bringing back Ace, the Bat Hound, Bat-Mite and having Batman do the Battusi? Kill me now.

• February 28, 2012 at 7:37 am — Reply

Why can’t DC learn from it’s past mistakes?

Seems to me that from the feedback I’ve seen, removing the JSA from the New 52 WAS considered one of DC’s past mistakes.

• Allen
        February 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm — Reply

Agreed. I can’t understand why an old school JSA book can’t be attempted. Surely, there’ve already been enough casualties of their current approach that they should consider giving something “old” a try.

• ~wyntermute~
          February 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm — Reply

So… What exactly is the “mistake” here? Especially given that “Earth-2” was arguably one of the more popular things that’s been discarded over the years… DC is pulling a “Microsoft” here, I think.

We had something that worked tolerably well in the DCU-as-it-was (Win7), but then Somebody In Management Decided we needed a NEW version of the thing even though we hadn’t been asking for it (Windows8). When people were exposed to the new product, they clamored to have the “Old Stuff” back. The Management, in Its infinite wisdom, decides to not 1) stick with the old nor 2) implement their new vision. Instead, it compromises by trying to shoehorn old “features” into the new “product”, or in this case the Earth-2 heroes being “added” to the New52. You’re not really “pleasing” anybody, and more than a few end up annoyed by the mishmash.