It’s been rumored for years, and hinted that it was really happening over the last month or so, but this morning DC Comics made it official – Alan Moore’s Watchmen is getting a prequel.
Titled, Before Watchmen, the series will include work from Brian Azzarello, Lee Bermejo, Amanda Conner, and Darwyn Cooke to name a few. The seven – SEVEN- inter-connected mini-series will build on the original Watchmen series.
“It’s our responsibility as publishers to find new ways to keep all of our characters relevant,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. “After twenty five years, the Watchmen are classic characters whose time has come for new stories to be told. We sought out the best writers and artists in the industry to build on the complex mythology of the original.”
This is DC’s new weekly series and when it is all said and done Before Watchmen will span 34 weeks.
BEFORE WATCHMEN includes:
- RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo
- MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
- COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones
- DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes
- NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert
- OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee
- SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner
Obviously Alan Moore wants nothing to do with this, but there was word that Dave Gibbons was going to be involved, but it looks like he’s bowing out as well.
The original series of WATCHMEN is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC’s reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire,” said Dave Gibbons, WATCHMEN co-creator and original series artist.
This is one of those moments where everyone is going to catch their breath for a moment and either curse, or cheer. However, as DiDio and Lee point out, it is the company’s job to keep their popular sellers fresh.