This week, we are pitting two of the biggest Saturday Morning Cartoon teams against each other, and we want to know who would win.

The Impossibles (1966)
The Impossibles were a trio of rock and roll musicians. When contacted by “Big D” (voiced by Paul Frees) about criminal activities in Empire City, they became superheroes. Like the Monkees, the group’s appearance (in their musician form) was based on 1960s pop star stereotypes, which included somewhat long hair, brightly colored (and matching) outfits, high-heeled boots, screaming female fans and, unlike the Monkees, no percussion or bass instruments.

The Mighty Heroes (1966)
The Mighty Heroes was an animated television series created by Ralph Bakshi for the Terrytoons company. The original show debuted on CBS, on Oct. 29, 1966, and ran for 1 season for 21 episodes. The series is set in Good Haven, a city that is continually beset by various supervillains. When trouble occurs, the city launches a massive fireworks display to summon a quintet of high-flying superheroes into action.

FIGHT! Who would win - The Mighty Heroes or The Impossibles?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

MERCHANDISE: Chewbacca Hoodie

SNEAK PEEK: Alice in Wonderland #1

1. January 3, 2012 at 11:23 am — Reply

The Impossibles, because I remember them. No idea who the other guys are.

2. Chase
    January 3, 2012 at 11:28 am — Reply

Yea, I’ve never heard of the Mighty Heroes.

3. Jimmy
    January 3, 2012 at 11:38 am — Reply

It’s polls like these that make me feel young…

4. January 3, 2012 at 11:42 am — Reply

The Impossibles, I remember watching their episodes and arguing with my friends what was better their powers or their band, i was really young when they came around on mexico.

5. Ricco
    January 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm — Reply

Wait, people had TVs back in the 60s? Weird…

6. January 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm — Reply

Over here in Jolly ol’ Blighty I don’t think we ever had the Impossibles. I remember vaguely the Mighty Heroes but only vaguely.

7. JoeM
    January 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm — Reply

I’m going with the Mighty Heroes, and here is why:
    1) They outnumber the impossibles (Well, Multiman counts for a lot, but still)
    2) Tornado Man will probably just suck up Fluid Man and that would be that.
    3) Coil Man and Rope Man will just get tangled up and take each other out. (and likely Cuckoo Man in the bargain.
    4) This leaves Strong Man and Diaper Man (the most powerful member of the Mighty Heroes) to take out Multiman. And even if the last battle drags on, Tornado Man can come to lend a hand.
    5) “Uhhh Cuckoo, Cuckoo” is a great battle cry!

• JoeM
      January 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm — Reply

And I hate to bring it up again, but Sub-Mariner would have won the fight. I know Aquaman can summon whales to help, but Namor can summon Mighty Marvel Monsters from the deep. Look what he did to New York!

8. Xaxelbrax
    January 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm — Reply

I just closed my eye I and picked. I got The Impossibles, but seriously who are any of these guys?

9. James Winston
    January 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm — Reply

The Impossibles. All they’d have to do is turn normal and let their screaming fans take out the Mighty heros. Screaming idol obsessed women are deadly.

10. January 3, 2012 at 12:49 pm — Reply

The Mighty Heroes have the power of Ralph Bakshi on their side. They win.

11. January 3, 2012 at 12:58 pm — Reply

I’m going with The Mighty Heros, after reading the Wikis, based on two reasons. First I don’t support shows with spin off music careers, curse you Disney. And secondly, fireworks to call the team into action? What would you rather see while be dangled from a high rise, the Bat Signal or fireworks? Fireworks, that’s what I thought.

12. January 3, 2012 at 2:01 pm — Reply

Seeing as I’m old enough to remember both ( and boy does that make me sad) I choose the Mighty Heroes. Multi can probably even up the odds a bit, but there is no way he can beat Strong Man.
    I also see that your plee for people reading the wiki (or YouTube for that matter) fell on deaf ears for the most part. Next time, just do Ben 10 vs Generator Rex so the kiddies can understand.

• January 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm — Reply

Well, expecting people to do work to understand your jokes usually leads to deep disappointment.

13. Russ Catt
    January 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm — Reply

I went for option three. The choice was based on my ignorance of the subject matter, sorry.

14. Spaceboot1
    January 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm — Reply

To be fair, I would pick “Seriously… where’s the real poll of the week?” every week if it was an option. I’m basically a rebel.

15. Xybec Katta
    January 3, 2012 at 4:19 pm — Reply

Mighty heroes, because I just didn’t get what was so super about The Immpossibles. Turn to “Fluid,” guy made of springs, and a guy that makes multiples of himself that he uses mostly for getting to high places? Really? At least the other team has a strong guy.

• Xybec Katta
      January 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm — Reply

Oh, and their cover is as a band called “The Impossibles?” And no one knew who the were?

16. Slappy
    January 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm — Reply

The Impossibles kick muther fuckin Ass and have the better picture.

17. Waldo Butters
    January 3, 2012 at 5:36 pm — Reply

I went with The Mighty Heroes, naturally, because naturally they have the better picture of the three. Although, option three’s picture was almost as well drawn…

18. January 3, 2012 at 5:37 pm — Reply

This poll made me happy.

The response to it has made me very, very sad.

19. Shakeylegs
    January 3, 2012 at 6:59 pm — Reply

Damn you Matthew!

I’m as old as you and I have no idea who in the good Lords name either of these teams of animated hobos are. You sir are the king of the obscure, the duke of pop culture before pop culture existed, and not old enough to have seen the “original episodes”.

• January 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm — Reply

Back in the day, you didn’t have to be old enough, you just had to live in the middle of nowhere and have access to unaffiliated TV stations with lots of syndicated programming to fill.

Of course, a copy of Rovin’s ‘Encyclopedia of Super-Heroes’ doesn’t hurt, either.

20. Oldcomicfan
    January 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm — Reply

I’ve been watching cartoons since the early 1960s and I don’t remember either of those groups.

21. Cryoman
    January 4, 2012 at 7:34 am — Reply

I’ve never heard of either of these.

22. Belmont
    January 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm — Reply

Well I remember the Impossibles, I think it had to do with the TV channels or syndication of the shows that my parents were able to get on the antenna. But thanks to Matthew’s Retro Review, I was introduced to another group of superheroes the Mighty Heroes. The Impossibles were short two very important team members a strong Superman/Captain Marvel character(Strong Man) and Diaper Man, (Possible Psychic or related to Franklin Richards…..). All it would take is Ropeman to lasso Multiman and he’d have a hard time trying to separate himself. So I voted for the Mighty Heroes

23. Oldcomicfan
    January 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm — Reply

To clarify my earlier comment, I am old enough to remember them both, but I have no memory of them. Which means that they were either so awful we couldn’t stand to watch them as kids, or they were on channels we did not get. Matthew started foaming at the mouth about all the folks who voted “Seriously, what’s the real poll of the week” because you went to the effort to post the wikki info, etc. Sorry, Matthew, I should have amplified my remarks: Not only do I not remember them, there was nothing in the art or the wikki links that would have inspired me enough to care to look into them further. Sort of like comparing Heckle and Jeckle to Topcat. Both were third string filler cartoons and why would anybody care about those when they could be watching Bugs Bunny or Rocky and Bullwinkle instead? If you’re going to post things that are so obscure that hardly anybody saw them, or so old that few people now alive had seen them and still remember them, you gotta expect a low response rate.

24. Oldcomicfan
    January 9, 2012 at 8:56 pm — Reply

Oh, by the way, if you want some other bad ideas for a Poll of the Week, you could always try “Which was the better Lord of the Rings movie? The Ralph Baschi film or the Peter Jackson trilogy?”