There’s probably a good reason why DC did not release the name of the mysterious cloaked woman that was seen at the end of Flashpoint and all throughout the New 52 number one issues. The company finally gave her a name, and it could be read a couple of different ways.

Here name is Pandora, and had the company released the name too early, I think a lot of pundits would have equated the name with the trouble DC was about to unleash on the world. Fortunately, the relaunch wasn’t a disaster, but now I wonder what the publisher has in store for her. Do I need to go back and re-read pre-relaunch Wonder Woman comics? Is there a big event coming that will put all of this into perspective? Will we see this event tie into the 52 worlds that are apparently out there, and thus by the end of 2012 we have a DC Ultimate Universe?

via The Source

SIGNING: Peanuts #1 signing at Meltdown Comics

New Comic Releases for January 04, 2012

1. Xian
    January 3, 2012 at 9:17 am — Reply

What’s notable about Pandora is that she is necessarily meta-textual since she appears in all of the launch 52 which only hold any sort of cohesive meaning to us the readers of the launch. There is no particular reason she should appear at the start of All-Star Western, in the dark ages of Demon Knights, or all the contemporary moments (and not so contemporary if you allow the vague 5-year timeline) “simultaneously” except if she has some tie or meaning to our reality… of course, that assumes there is that much thought into her writing and she wasn’t a slap-dash last minute stunt thrown into the books! :P

2. Michael
    January 3, 2012 at 11:01 am — Reply

The names have very different meanings but this character has always made me think of a new version of Pariah.

• Casaloki
      January 4, 2012 at 12:11 am — Reply

Maybe she is his sister/mother/aunt/female clone. But one things for sure: she is not the kind of girl who is biting here fingernails.

• Michael
        January 7, 2012 at 11:47 am — Reply

Maybe she’s the embodiment of the movie Avatar.

3. January 3, 2012 at 1:49 pm — Reply

Her true name is “contingency” and she would be released on the new 52-world if it had been a failure.
    Now that things have gone well – they can do what ever they want with her.
    I predict a … Multiverse!!! Thats new and fresh – right???

4. Slappy
    January 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm — Reply

Will the quest be to keep her legs closed?

• ray
      January 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm — Reply

haha

5. January 3, 2012 at 7:47 pm — Reply

Why does everyone presume that this character is some sort of panic button?

• that dude
      January 3, 2012 at 10:36 pm — Reply

people like panic buttons perhaps?

• Obsidian
      January 4, 2012 at 9:18 am — Reply

People seem to assume the worst and apparently have great difficulty with waiting and seeing.

Regardless, I like the idea of a common thread (or threat) that is moving through the DC titles and want to see how this will play out.

6. pidgeonman
    January 4, 2012 at 8:55 am — Reply

I don’t know if it’s significant, but her skin and hands look kind of gross. Maybe her power is that no one can remember anything she says because they’re too busy staring at her gross hands?

7. Ced
    January 4, 2012 at 9:10 am — Reply

I don’t like her, panic button or cheap plot device.
    I guess she is linked to the big crossover between DC and the old Image/Wildstorm universe.
    So, for me, a other reason to not appreciate her since I really don’t appreciate the importation of the Wildstorm characters into the DC Universe.

8. Matt
    March 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm — Reply

I honestly don’t think Pandora is Raven. Obviously, Pandora existed BEFORE the universe of the New 52 was created. She was the one that combined them. So, she can’t be any old character unless that character had knowledge of all three universes and the power to combine them into one. I also found an interesting article http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/03/breaking-pandoras-code/ but it turned out “Pandora” was just someone playing a game. At least, that’s what it says. For all we know “billee0918” could be someone that works for DC and they added numbers and stuff to the name so you would THINK it was a normal person. It probably was, but if it wasn’t, I have a theory. The posts by Pandora/billee0918 mentioned Raven, Zealot, and a third sinner. My thoughts, if this was real, are that Pandora was recruiting for something big. She took Raven, from DC, and Zealot, from Vertigo, and, I think, the third sinner is the last one she wants to recruit and this character comes from the WildStorm universe. That’s all I got. If anyone else has info/theories I would love to hear them, because, frankly, this new universe is confusing.