Since the dawn of computer technology, movie makers and writers have warned us of a future where the computer would rise up and take over the world, enslaving all of us. This week we connect two of those computers to each other, and let them crunch the numbers to see who should be the supreme computer overlord.

COMPUTE!

Who would emerge as the supreme computer overlord?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

MOVIES: Peter Jackson gives fans another look at The Hobbit production

REVIEW: Ultimate Comics All-New Spider-Man #5

1. December 27, 2011 at 11:32 am — Reply

You know HAL is going to win because he’s more popular, right?

2. December 27, 2011 at 12:14 pm — Reply

We all know who would win, Glados obviously, with HAL in second so my vote goes to him.
    Continue Testing

3. brenton8090
    December 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm — Reply

Write in vote for GLADoS

4. December 27, 2011 at 1:23 pm — Reply

I’m submitting my write-in vote for GLaDOS as well! (Though in all seriousness my vote has to go for HAL)

5. December 27, 2011 at 1:29 pm — Reply

If so many people are voting GlaDOS, I guess we can cancel next week’s poll and go with something else… Good job everyone.

6. Xaxelbrax
    December 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm — Reply

I must obstain because I don’t like HAL and I don’t know Colossus.

7. Frank
    December 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm — Reply

Isn’t it supposed to be “Forbin” project.

Colossus controlled an entire defense system while HAL controlled 1 ship. The call goes to Colossus.

8. Andreas
    December 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm — Reply

Colossus is the most scary. It has the old “let’s kill all humans and make a computerruled World” agenda, and the means to do it. Colossus is the grandfather of the Matrix, Terminaters and Ghost in the Shell.

9. December 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm — Reply

Also write-in for Gla-DOS

10. Ricco
    December 27, 2011 at 5:26 pm — Reply

Skynet for the win!

11. December 27, 2011 at 7:04 pm — Reply

Write in vote for Shodan from the System Shock game series.

These guys are amateurs…

-c

12. ClubberLang6
    December 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm — Reply

If I could write in a vote, I would write in the commodore 64 or WOPR from war games!

• Jason
      December 30, 2011 at 7:18 pm — Reply

I second that vote for WOPR, ’cause he’s a gamer.

13. The_Bear_Jew
    December 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm — Reply

I write in for Master Control Program

14. Mike Keller
    December 28, 2011 at 11:36 am — Reply

Well as I recall HAL9000 only killed his crew, where as Colossus was “The voice of World Control”. Between the two I went with Colossus (partly because I saw it when it originally ran). If I were going to pick a winner though it would either be Skynet, or Deep Thought.

15. Some Dude
    December 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm — Reply

Who the heck is this? *gets sprayed with Mathews blood*

16. Oldcomicfan
    December 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm — Reply

I’m old enough that I saw “Collosus The Forbin Project” when it was first released, and read both books. I also saw “2001” when it was first released and read all five books in the series.

It was a difficult call: After all, Collosus manages to subdue the Russian supercomputer “The Crab” and take over the entire world, and he has all the world’s nuclear weapons at his disposal and is not shy about using them, and his “This is the voice of World Control. I bring you peace…” is just about the creepiest thing ever.

But I had to go with Hal 9000. He manages to destroy all human life in his vicinity without the aid of any weapons at all, survives being lobotomized and eventually is turned into a semi-god by the aliens who built the monolith along with David Bowman. And in a contest between a supremely powerful semi-god and an overpowered computer with nuclear weapons, the god-like former computer would win every time. Hal could reach down from on high and reprogram Collosus into a Playstation 2.

The important question, though, is WHEN will scientists who tinker with A.I. learn NOT to give computers access to nuclear weapons?

17. Jeremiah
    December 29, 2011 at 12:35 am — Reply

My vote is for Google. It may not be a robot yet, but it’s only a matter of time until some dumbass decides to build a robot & install google as some sort of os/learning matrix. Once it becomes self aware, look out world…

But seriously, my vote goes to HAL, because I have no idea who the other guy is & I don’t wanna google it (see above)

18. Bill the Seeker
    January 2, 2012 at 12:08 pm — Reply

Colossus had a world full of Nuclear missiles. HAL can fly around and flush astronauts out airlocks. Give it to Colossus.