Disney and Marvel studios have updated their movie releases. Though The Avengers movie will still be released on May 4, 2012, the studio has upgraded the movie from 2D to 3D. As far as I’m aware, the movie wasn’t shot in 3D, which means a lot of post production wiz-bangery is going to happen, and we’ve all seen how successful that has been.

Marvel’s The Avengers 3D is the Super Hero team up of a lifetime, featuring iconic Marvel Super Heroes Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins. Starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner with Samuel L. Jackson and Tom Hiddleston, directed by Joss Whedon, Marvel’s The Avengers will be released May 4, 2012.

In other movie news, the Marvel Studios Untitled movie, which some are speculating to be the Captain America sequel has a new release date of April 4, 2014 instead of the previously announced June 27, 2014.

REVIEW: Warlord of Mars #13

REVIEW: Wolverine & The X-Men #3

1. TaZ
    December 22, 2011 at 3:51 pm — Reply

SCREW 3D. I’ll catch the 2D version.

I knew they’d find some way to screw this up.

• Mike
      December 22, 2011 at 6:09 pm — Reply

Agreed. 100% agreed.

2. AllenBT
    December 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm — Reply

In a weird sort of way this is good news. Movies shot in 2D and up-converted to 3D usually have issues.

BUT, I’m planning on seeing it in 2D. Which means less extraneous shots of Thor point at me w/ his Hammer.

3. Allen2saint
    December 22, 2011 at 4:46 pm — Reply

I wonder if this means that what they’re looking at behind closed doors is weaker than they thought and that’s why they decided to throw in the 3D.

• December 22, 2011 at 4:53 pm — Reply

Considering that was the thinking in giving The Green Hornet “the treatment”, you may be on to something…

4. hunterDan
    December 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm — Reply

I’ll see 2D thanks…

5. December 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm — Reply

Make mine 2d.

6. December 22, 2011 at 7:47 pm — Reply

The only things I think might be cool in 3-D are:

– Lightning FX from the Hammer
    – Getting into/out of the Iron Man Armor
    – Throwing the shield “at” the audience
    – Black Widow topless

Think I’ll stick to the regular version.

7. Ricco
    December 22, 2011 at 9:14 pm — Reply

I’ll see it without the headache and bigger ticket price, 2D or nothing.

8. December 22, 2011 at 9:17 pm — Reply

2d 3d whateva! Bring on May 4th!!!

That still pic above is might might sweet.

9. Antonio Sanciolo
    December 23, 2011 at 6:34 am — Reply

My perspective, from the other side of the projector, is that us cinemas flat-out make more money from 3D. The film rental is comparative when courier costs and print makeup time is factored in and yet we charge around 25% more.

Now the film/comics nerd gets pretty pissed off at news like this, and yet the cinema complex manager in me rubs his hands together and goes “cha-ching”.

This gratuitous 3D-fication of everything will stop when people stop paying for it. Vote with your wallet.

That being said check out Scorsese’s HUGO – probably the best 3D I’ve ever seen; and a brilliant film not withstanding.

10. Trey
    December 27, 2011 at 9:57 am — Reply

I guess they make money off of the 3d but I don’t see it. It would be funny if the 2d version outsells the 3D. Every post here says they will see it in 2D. I’ll see it in 3d only if the 2D version isn’t available.