Major Spoilers Holiday Gift Guide 2011: Classic Minimates

Major Spoilers Poll of the Week: FIGHT!

1. December 13, 2011 at 8:29 am — Reply

I have never seen the Rocketeer before, but now I have to because that short was awesome.

• that dude
      December 13, 2011 at 9:29 am — Reply

…Dude Really? It’s like awesome.

2. Bowser
    December 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm — Reply

Who do I have to pay to turn this into a real tv series?

3. December 13, 2011 at 3:05 pm — Reply

That is EXCELLENT!

4. Oldcomicfan
    December 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm — Reply

The Rocketeer was the best thing to come out of the comic book boom of the 80’s. I even liked the movie quite a bit. The director of the Rocketeer went on to make some of the better Star Trek movies, too. I actually like the movie version of the rocket pack better than the comic book version, but Dave’s ladies, OMG! Dave Stevens was singlehandedly responsible for reviving interest in Pin-up Girl Bette Page. Hubba hubba! Interestingly enough, Archie’s Veronica also looked an awful lot like Bette Page, especially in the early year. Being as Archie is supposed to be so wholesome, naughty, naughty, fellows. Sadly, Dave Stevens was never able to bring The Rocketeer to a conclusion. Did he live long enough to see the movie? I wonder what he thought of it. Jennifer Connelly was stunning in the movie, but certainly no Bette Page. Still, I wouldn’t kick her out of bed for eating crackers. If you haven’t read The Rocketeer comic or seen the movie, what’s the matter with you? Dave Stevens, R.I.P., gave us a delightful little slice of Americana Fantasy, and the world is richer for it. Go watch it now, and for God’s sake, pick up the reprints and read the comic! You’re only missing one of the best comic books ever. Bar none!

• December 14, 2011 at 7:41 am — Reply

Dave Stevens actually not only produced but CO-WROTE the Rocketeer movie, so I would presume that the development of the film itself met with his approval.