In case you didn’t notice, a brand new Muppets movie opened across the country over the holiday weekend.

With the help of three fans, The Muppets must reunite to save their old theater from a greedy oil tycoon.

Did you see the movie yet?  We want to know what you thought.  Was is the best Muppet movie ever, or did it stumble on its own humor?  Use the comment section below to share your thoughts on the movie.

MOVIES: More John Carter pics appear

MOVIES: Vampires beat Muppets

1. JacinB
    November 28, 2011 at 8:59 am — Reply

We went and saw it on Thanksgiving day and I thought it was an excellent re-introduction of the Muppets, particularly for parents who knew them and loved them as kids and now have kids of their own.

To me, the only thing that could’ve made the movie better was if it comes with an announcement in the next week or two that its success has convinced Disney to add a ‘The Muppets Show’ half-hour variety/comedy show to its fall line-up, with weekly guest stars (that aren’t all from the Disney stable) just like the old show had.*

* – That, and a bit better explanation of the ending as to whether or not Kermit and the Gang got to keep the theater and the Muppets name and likenesses as we were all a bit confused on that walking out of the theater.

• brenton8090
      November 28, 2011 at 11:31 am — Reply

Ditto to that post. I want to know where the muppets go from here, and I loved it.
      *At the end-during the credits it says that since Richman got hit with the bowling ball in the head, he was giving back the rights to the name and studio. It was cut from his song, but on the soundtrack he has a great part that explains why he can’t laugh and hates the muppets so much.

2. Eric
    November 28, 2011 at 9:15 am — Reply

@JacinB: Yes, they got to keep the theater and name. After Gonzo hit Richman with the bowling ball in the end credits bit, causing him to finally laugh at Fozzie’s joke, a newspaper spun up to the screen saying that Richman had a change of heart and gave it all back. Also said that they didn’t believe the head injury had anything to do with it. I agree, it was kind of a throwaway spot for information, but I’d argue that it was unnecessary in any case. Even my 4-year-old got the main thrust – when the Muppets came out to the cheering crowd, even though he had just been crying that they lost their theater, he gasped and said, “Daddy, the Muppets won! The Muppets won!” THAT was freaking magical.

3. November 28, 2011 at 9:34 am — Reply

The Muppets was very good. It managed to re-capture a lot of what made them great to begin with. There was plenty of subversive humor, bad (great) jokes, music, general mayhem and weirdness…’Maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh…It was the most fun I’ve had watching the Muppets in a long time.

4. Frank
    November 28, 2011 at 9:39 am — Reply

My wife and I went on Friday. We thoroughly enjoyed it, though my wife did not get some of the in-jokes. I think they did a very good job of capturing the essence of the series and the first movie. My only complaint is that I would have like to seen more Amy Adams.

The crowd we saw it with was about 70% adults and 30% kids. The adults were cheering and laughing through most of the movie. They clapped at the end of the movie.

I would highly recommend the movie to nostalgic adults and families with kids.

On of the things going through my mind is that if Richman was severely injured by the bowling ball and had to have a heart transplant, therefore a ‘change of heart’.

5. The Great NateO
    November 28, 2011 at 11:01 am — Reply

Took the whole family to see it (Wife and 2 kids 10 and 5) It was Awesome. The kids loved it, Wife loved it, and I loved it. It was great how they never put up that 4th wall, which made it a lot of fun. The sound track was fantastic (YES, we already downloaded it, “Then I’m a Very Manly Muppet”). I cannot remember the last time everyone in the family enjoyed a movie this much. When they started to sing Rainbow Connection I have to get a napkin because some popcorn butter got in my eyes.

“Jack Black said NO DRUMS, Jack Black said NO DRUMS”

Only 2 things I got annoyed with, maybe just me, but Kermit’s face, they kept trying to do all kinds of facial expressions and I just was strange. Also I would have loved to see some of the cameo roles have a few more lines.

Go and see it, if don’t you’re a Muppet of a Man

Mah Na Mah Na!!

• The Great NateO
      November 28, 2011 at 5:23 pm — Reply

Also Matthew should learn how to Travel By MAP, that way he could sit in on the Podcasts.

6. Beren1
    November 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm — Reply

Saw it with the family as well. Really liked it. My only real beef was the maniacal laugh, funny the first time amusing the second, and a bit grating by the third time. Really liked the getting the group together montage.

7. ikdks
    November 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm — Reply

It was clearly directed to the Gen Xers in the crowd, almost at the expense of the kids. Obviously Xers were the original fans, but they also put references that stem from “our” whole life, like the barbershop quartet featuring Beaker doing Smells like Teen Spirit (‘Me me mi moe!’).

8. Bob potvin
    November 28, 2011 at 5:59 pm — Reply

Dave Grohl was awsome as the drummer to the Moopets, Fozzy’s tribut band. Great movie, would say go watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. November 28, 2011 at 6:00 pm — Reply

It was simply delightful.

10. GeorgeDubya
    November 28, 2011 at 11:21 pm — Reply

I took my younger brother to watch it when I went to visit my family over the Thanksgiving break, and we met up with a high school friend of mine and his younger girlfriend. Now, my friend and I are both in our late 20’s and my brother has been raised on Muppets, but the girlfriend is in her early 20’s and didn’t see much Muppets growing up.

When Kermit started singing his first song (Pictures in my Head), my friend, brother, and I were all near tears. My buddy’s girlfriend however thought we were all insane.