DIGITAL COMICS: Devil's Due launches 50 series-based apps

SNEAK PEEK: Defenders #1

1. wdchefdave
    October 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm — Reply

See the simplicity of of a few well drawn and placed panels, plus a bit of dialog, equals 20 minutes of film to tell a visual story!
    This is why comic strips were turned into comic books.
    (I hope that this is THE Jim Shooter!)
    I noticed the “McClure Newspaper Syndication” on the last panel.
    They had a very solid printing history in all kinds of books and comic strips.
    This is solid gold.

• October 28, 2011 at 1:00 pm — Reply

Of course it took a week to have all the strips appear to tell the “escape” story in full, so 20 minutes of film seems like a quicker method of story telling ;)

2. October 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm — Reply

I always find it fascinating/amusing to see all the differences in naming/stories over the years. I don’t mean that sarcastically, either. It’s genuinely cool.

For instance, I love, in the original Fleischer cartoons, where Ma and Pa Kent don’t even exist, and the intro talks about how he grew up in an orphanage.

3. Darklighter1
    October 28, 2011 at 6:02 pm — Reply

Didn’t Jim Shooter die of cancer back in the 80’s? I must be thinking of someone else right? Then again it is comics and no one stays dead in comics…….except Kirby.

• October 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm — Reply

Didn’t Jim Shooter die of cancer back in the 80′s? I must be thinking of someone else right?

Given that Shooter founded Valiant, Defiant and Broadway Comics in the 1990’s, you must be. Though I honestly can’t figure out whom…

Archie Goodwin passed in 98, due to cancer. He was Marvel EIC before Shooter (though maybe not RIGHT before…)

4. Pidgeonman
    October 29, 2011 at 2:43 am — Reply

by modern standards, those four panels would be a two-issue story leading up to a limited series.