I know it sounds really weird, but LucasFilm has indeed announced that Darth Maul will return to the Star Wars universe this spring on Star Wars: The Clone Wars.  Why is this weird you ask? Because Maul died in Episode One while The Clone Wars takes place between Episode Two and Episode Three.

“The decision to continue Darth Maul’s story was something that came directly from George,” says Dave Filoni, Supervising Director of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. “We all agreed that his return needed to be unique, unexpected and revenge filled. We don’t know what his outcome will be, and as a fan – that’s exciting.”

via LucasFilm

NYCC'11: Vincente Alcazar introduces new series at comc con

MOVIE: Batwing Rises

1. October 14, 2011 at 8:19 am — Reply

Im really looking forward to this.
    Darth Maul was a cool character in a poor movie, and that screwed it up for him.

Im ready to give him a second chance – may the Force conqure you….. again.

• TorontoFrog
      October 14, 2011 at 8:27 am — Reply

I agree. Darth Maul was a badass in a horrible movie. I’d love to see what he does on his own. Please be that he’s killing all Gungans! :)

• October 14, 2011 at 10:26 am — Reply

…. And the body was never recovered.

2. Ced
    October 14, 2011 at 8:43 am — Reply

Darth Maul is not even a character, he is just a cool character design.

• October 14, 2011 at 10:25 am — Reply

Come-on. He never got a fighting chance (so to speak).
      And why is he not a character? He has backstory and all. What else do you want? (Im not fronting, just asking)

• GeorgeDubya
        October 14, 2011 at 4:53 pm — Reply

He has backstory? For the vast majority of people he is a cool looking character with 2 or 3 lines. I for one have never watched the Clone Wars or read any books except for the Heir to the Empire trilogy. For me, while he has a cool design, Darth Maul is an empty character. I’m pretty sure that’s what Ced was getting at.

3. October 14, 2011 at 9:43 am — Reply

Best villain inside the Star Wars Saga. I wanted to dress like him when we went to see the Phantom Menace, but the parents wouldn’t let me. Still a little bitter about that.

• Darklighter1
      October 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm — Reply

Maybe now they’ll let ya. Course it’ll have to be in the safety of you own basement seeing it’ll only be on TV. But maybe that’s for the best.

4. Oldcomicfan
    October 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm — Reply

Cool! Okay, if they can bring Darth Maul back, can somebody please convince George Lucas to go back at retcon Jar Jar Binks out of existance? The Ewoks, too, while he’s at it.

• Xybec Katta
      October 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm — Reply

Remember, EWOKS EAT PEOPLE!!

5. Monte
    October 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm — Reply

Excellent. I would love to see the most powerful (my opinion, don’t feel like am argument today) sith ever return to the Star Wars universe. He was one of the two things that made me rewatch episode 1 – the other being Qui-Gon Jin. LucasArts may very well have found a way to get me to tune into the Clone Wars again.

6. Adam
    October 14, 2011 at 2:57 pm — Reply

This show has now Jumped the Sarlacc.

• October 15, 2011 at 7:57 am — Reply

7. October 15, 2011 at 2:08 am — Reply

I dunno why it seems so far-fetched. He’s come back in various non-canon comics through plausible methods (he was kept alive and was fitted with cybernetic implants from the waist down in one, in another he was brought back by sith magics by Dark Side users who didn’t believe Vader was a good apprentice for the Emperor) and there is cloning in the Star Wars universe (not only are there the Clone Troopers, but in the novels the Emperor came back in a clone body and there had been clones of several other Jedi at various points, including a clone of Luke that broke the Force-urge implanted by the Emperor into Mara Jade to kill Luke when she killed the clone).

Even if the Expanded Universe isn’t Lucas’s canon, he has been known to take things from it to use in his canon (Aayla Secura was originally from comics, the species name Twi’lek first appeared in an RPG, and naming the Imperial Center planet Coruscant first came from the novels).

• October 15, 2011 at 2:09 am — Reply

And I almost forgot, Dathomir (my favorite planet) and the Nightsisters also originated in the novels.

• Stetson
      October 26, 2011 at 12:25 pm — Reply

Coruscant appeared at the end of Episode Vl. Long before any expanded universe novels were written.

8. Damascus
    October 15, 2011 at 10:47 am — Reply

I like this idea quite a bit. Not a big fan of this type of thing usually, but like others have said he’s a cool character in a terrible movie. Plus my three-year-old loves him so that’s cool. Plus there are enough loopholes established where he could return. And to someone else’s point, How dare you sir? Reims are amazing! Granted I was like 4-5 when I first saw them, but still.