ComiXology has announced a brand new update to its iPad/iPhone Comic by comiXology app, that promises a faster interface and more. This is all in anticipation of the day and date initiative by DC (and to an extent Marvel) that is coming in the next couple of weeks.
- Completely redesigned application
- Near instant launching
- Separate “Purchases” area that displays all owned comics
- New series groupings in store and “My Comics”
- Discover comics at much faster speeds
- Pause and prioritize downloads
- Background downloading
- Improved “Instant Search”
- Buy or continue reading the next issue at the end of a comic
“With the help of tons of user feedback from our loyal fans, we thought long and hard on how we focus our development efforts, “ said David Steinberger, CEO of comiXology. “We’ve always said we focus first on a quality reading experience, and second on discoverability of comics. Comics 3.0 is a fantastic step in how our customers can discover new comics while creating a great performance boost for earlier devices that have struggled under the weight of our 12,000 comics.”
This is all well and good, and I’m downloading the update right now. On the downside, you have to redownload all of your previous comics, and for someone like me, that’s going to take a while.