The sales people at Marvel are at it again, with the final Shattered Heroes teaser image we’ll see THIS week.

“The war is over, and the warriors return home, carrying with them scars of battle, both physical and mental. Now the cost will be tallied, the casualties buried and mourned, the rubble swept up and carted away. But the damage to our heroes isn’t easily repaired, the wounds not easily healed.  Decisions are made and lives are changed—can shattered heroes find renewed courage to go on?” – Tom Brevoort, SVP Executive Editor

I agree with the poster – we will all mourn the devastating outcome, but probably not in the way some people are hoping.

via Marvel

SNEAK PEEK: Archie #624

TRAILER: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

1. August 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm — Reply

This sort of thing carries a lot more weight when the heroes haven’t been run ragged for over a decade. Still, I’m wondering what all the Thor-shadowing is going to avail.

• August 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm — Reply

I second that emotion. The implication being that they didn’t mourn the last 5 to 7 world shattering events, but this one they will.

Also, Does Thor’s death really matter in the end?

2. Ian
    August 19, 2011 at 3:15 pm — Reply

Well we know for sure he’ll be back in time for the Avengers movie.

3. Usagi
    August 19, 2011 at 5:32 pm — Reply

Wow, it must be a big deal, the senior VP of sales said so!

Seriously, you couldn’t get a quote from a writer ?

4. Michael
    August 19, 2011 at 9:48 pm — Reply

Am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that this year’s event that was to spotlight the Thorverse in conjunction with the movie (which I thought was pretty good) apparently leads to the death (again) of Thor?

5. Oldcomicfan
    August 20, 2011 at 10:40 am — Reply

I’ve been mourning my favorite heroes ever since the very FIRST event comics: Secret Wars and Crisis on Infinite Earths. Ever since then it’s been nothing but implausible event after implausible event, and incomprehensible cross-over after incomprehensible cross-over; all done at the expense of consistant artwork and good storytelling. So do I care about this whole “FEAR ITSELF” thing? Actually, yes, I am afraid they are going to keep DOING this sort of thing unless people STOP BUYING THEIR CRAPPY BOOKS and buy good comic books instead!

I am going to go read all my back issues of GROO and sulk.

• ~wyntermute~
      August 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm — Reply

I’ve been reading a lot of “old” J.L.A. lately, and… Well, most of the ‘characterization’ is pretty crappy in those non-event annual JLA/JSA crossovers. Like, people saying things like “But I don’t have any real powers, I can just [insert superpower here]. But wait! If [so-and-so] is going to keep fighting against unconquerable odds, then I must do so too! THAT is what being a true and noble super-hero is about! Gosh Darnit!”…. It’s as hokey & cliche as a lot of modern comic tropes will be to the next-gen. I agree that the reliance upon banners/crossovers to sell comics is a bit too large a factor in the modern biz, but… I wish people would stop saying “IT USED TO BE BETTER!!!!”. These books that you hate? They’re going to be the “used to be better” for a whole generation, the same way our crappy comic books were to us. :) Btw, I hope you enjoyed your Groo collection. I’ve never been interested in that one, but to each their own. ^_^

6. DMC
    August 20, 2011 at 9:11 pm — Reply

Today I washed my hands of Fear Itself and donated most of the books to my local used book store. Now that I think about it, I should have thrown them in the recycle bin. I never thought Marvel would come out with an event worse then Siege but boy was I wrong. Fear Itself is not kind of book it was marketed as, heck the story barely matches the title.

The Fearless? I’ll pass. Captain America, Secret Avengers and Aquaman will do for now. Still unsure about Wonder Woman.

7. eclecticcomics
    August 21, 2011 at 1:17 pm — Reply

Marvel + Marketing = WINNING!

8. Michael
    August 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm — Reply

I wonder if at this time next year we’ll be reading “Avengers Disassembled 2.0”?

;)