SOLICITATIONS: Archie Comics for November 2011

1. aerspyder
    August 15, 2011 at 9:20 am — Reply

I like her better with pants. It looks more professional . . .and yes I understand how silly that sounds about a ficitional superhero.

• Rob
      August 15, 2011 at 9:26 am — Reply

Agree. After the initial shock of seeing them a year ago, I’ve grown to like them. It’s more practical to wear long pants if only to keep your knees from getting scraped when you’re rolling around on the ground during a fight.

And you can be strong and elegant without bearing too much flesh.

• kunderemp
      August 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm — Reply

I agree..
      I prefer her with long dark pants.

I don’t have problem with the version where Wonder Woman wore undies but in this picture, it seemed wrong.

• Kuato73
      August 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm — Reply

I agree. The pants look much better.

2. HQ-Man
    August 15, 2011 at 9:51 am — Reply

If Justice League is set 5 years in the past, and also is Action Comics, why is Superman in JLA using his shitty “Kryptonian armor”? Shouldn’t he be wearing that beat-up jeans, t-shirt and baby blanket cape?

• August 15, 2011 at 9:59 am — Reply

Guess we’ll all have to pick up the books to find out…

• Michael
      August 15, 2011 at 10:34 am — Reply

I would think that the second he showed up looking like Lil Abner in a cape someone would take him aside and say “Dude, that looks SO stupid!”.

3. Scott
    August 15, 2011 at 9:54 am — Reply

I’m a traditionalist, so this look is fine by me, but why’d they drop the gold from her outfit?

As for Superman, I don’t mind the collar, but, and he’s not the only one this applies to, if they don’t have the shorts, what’s the point of the belt?

• TaZ
      August 15, 2011 at 10:50 am — Reply

To hold his pants up? Just a thought.

4. Michael
    August 15, 2011 at 10:32 am — Reply

Costuming comments:

I liked WW’s pants with dark boots and the stars on the legs and torso that weren’t colored white.

With the pants back to being shorts the dark boots look wrong. And the white stars on the shorts just make me wonder why the stars on the torso aren’t made white as well.

And I’m still not crazy about Superman’s belt. Though his costume as a whole looks fine when Lee or Perez draw it.

Does it look to anyone else like Flash had his chin guard taken off? Granted the forearm’s kinda in the way.

5. TaZ
    August 15, 2011 at 10:53 am — Reply

I like the look. With Supes and Flash having gold in their costumes the silver makes for a good “break up” of the color scheme visually.

With the exception of “Lil Abner Tom Welling” I haven’t seen much about the DC “relaunch” that’s made me say “uh…hell no” until I read some of the books. But Action Comics? “Uh…hell no!”

6. Obsidian
    August 15, 2011 at 11:04 am — Reply

Put. The. Pants. Back. On.

Seriously? We’re already back to her wearing a swimsuit to work?

7. August 15, 2011 at 11:08 am — Reply

Im ok with Supermans costume EXCEPT the new “s”. Dont mess with the S please.

• ~wyntermute~
      August 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm — Reply

I noticed that the new Superboy&Girl costumes have New S’s too…. The Kryptonian language is getting its font reparsed, maybe?

• Michael
        August 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm — Reply

IIRC, the 3rd month solicits show what seems to be an artistic difference with Superman & Superboy (the upper-right part of the “S” being a bit more pronounced on boy’s than man’s “S”-shield), but Supergirl’s “S”-shield’s lower-left part of the “S” doesn’t connect with the edge of the shield.

8. eric
    August 15, 2011 at 11:14 am — Reply

I am so tired of the costumer make over. I said my piece about it. I am more bothered by the entire throwing off the top of the tallest building you can find the stories and history of the characters I love. Yes I know you are going to say “but they said that some of the story lines are still here.” Well, sure they are but the other things made sense. This is like neoman cromagnan prehistoric man trying to use stones to make tools or fire. It may work and it may take forever to get it to work. I dont have the time for this experiment so DC gets no money from me on a monthly basis. Sorry DC. Get back in touch with me when u have another Crisis that brings back my old super heros and villians.

9. Ricco
    August 15, 2011 at 11:25 am — Reply

Of all the superheroes Superman should always be on e the armored ones, lead armor with a hood he can put over is head to be precise, keep in mind that he’s pretty useless without his power and that everyone and their cousin knows about his weakness.

• Rob M
      August 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm — Reply

Except his weakness is supposed to be extremely rare on planet earth.

• Ricco
        August 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm — Reply

Yeah, it’s so rare pretty much every super-villain he’s ever fought has a stash in their vault.

• Michael
          August 15, 2011 at 7:06 pm — Reply

That was BEFORE the rebootlaunchwhatever!

• Ricco
            August 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm — Reply

Yes, but there is a whole army department that was in charge of “Project Superman” that knows all about his powers/weakness and have access to Kryptonite. Besides, writers have always used Kryptonite and magic as one of the few ways to put Supes in danger, seen how every villain suddenly learning magic is not a viable choice you know Kryptonite is gonna be used as a plot device, and often.

• Rob M
            August 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm — Reply

The storyline you’re talking about came around after Infinite Crisis which put much of the original pre-crisis stuff back into play..(i.e multiple colored Kryptonite…etc.)
            The Byrne reboot in 86 made Kryptonite extremely rare…and it staid the way for a very long time.
            In fact the whole “every crook has Kryptonite” was lampshaded several times by writers in the 80’s and 90’s when common thugs would get ahold of rocks that were painted green thinking it was kryptonite

• Ricco
            August 16, 2011 at 10:20 am — Reply

@ Rob M

The story I talk about is part of Flashpoint (you’re thinking New Krypton) and my argument still stands, he has 2 major weaknesses: magic and radiation poisoning. Is there really a good reason why he wouldn’t prepare against one of them?

The likelihood I’ll get in a car crash is small (I hardly get in a car) but I still wear my sit-belt every time I do.

10. Brainy Pirate
    August 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm — Reply

So, did they already kill off two members (Aquaman and Cyborg)? Is this Justice League Lost?

11. August 15, 2011 at 3:13 pm — Reply

I never liked the pants. I think this is the most I’ve liked toe costume since the initial Odyssey change. I like it a lot. :)

12. firehazard
    August 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm — Reply

I agree with the whole Wonder Woman wearing pants. Her old costume looks like shes fighting in her underwear. I have actually enjoyed reading ww’s book this past year.

13. Bob
    August 15, 2011 at 4:46 pm — Reply

Get some pants back on her and get some respect from female readers. I thought she looked better with them on and it is much more practical.

Vampirella should get back into her proper costume though, she’s a vamp so doesn’t feel the cold,

• August 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm — Reply

Get some pants back on her and get some respect from female readers

Have female readers lost respect for Wonder Woman? What say you, female readers?

• silvergray
        August 16, 2011 at 5:21 am — Reply

Male reader here but…

I’m fine with the no pants thing because on old timey GREEK ARMOR, the MEN HAD NO PANTS either.( At least in the way they’re portrayed in modern illustrations.) They did have shin guards and knee guards though.

Basically if they make it look like that, I doubt anyone would have a problem with it, after all that’s around the time that most of the stuff, from Wonder Woman’s back story, is inspired by.

14. Ricco
    August 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm — Reply

It’s odd but without the gold in the costume, Diana’s costume really looks bad without pants. I think it’s the two big white stars, they look like they are part of an unfinished pattern or something.

While pants are less “stripper”, they not very amazon, I don’t think I have ever seen any depiction (modern or otherwise) of an Amazon wearing anything other then a skirt (and not always with a top, sometimes just a protection for where they cut their right breast).

15. Ian
    August 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm — Reply

I prefer the pants, and like the costume much better with silver accents rather than gold.

16. eric
    August 15, 2011 at 7:44 pm — Reply

Talking about the killing of members already I thought Mera was killed in Flashpoint? But she is in the Aquaman title. See this is mess mixed with water and trying to paint with it.

• Ricco
      August 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm — Reply

This a “Flash reversing Reverse-Flash’s FLashpoint but not quite getting it right” new universe, basically Flash returns to a world where the JLA eats their food with lizard tongues and goes “Good enough” and eats as well.

• Brainy Pirate
        August 16, 2011 at 6:52 pm — Reply

But it does make me wonder how many other people don’t understand the connection between Flashpoint and the new DCnU. Apparently, DC hasn’t been completely successful in getting out the word that the Flashpoint events are only for the summer series. Otherwise we’d have no Superman at all, and Bruce Wayne would have been killed instead of his parents….

• Michael
          August 16, 2011 at 7:13 pm — Reply

FWIW, this is the first I’ve heard of anyone thinking that events in Flashpoint are lasting beyond Flashpoint.

But then I don’t get out much. :)

17. imtheseventh
    August 15, 2011 at 11:18 pm — Reply

If the argument is “pants will protect Wonder Woman’s knees better” then why not just giver her knee pads? It makes more sense as per knee protection. Give her a helmet and shin guards and some elbow pads while we’re at it.

• Ricco
      August 16, 2011 at 10:13 am — Reply

I doubt that’s the argument, she is after all about as strong/tough as Superman.

18. AJ
    August 16, 2011 at 11:16 am — Reply

I just find it silly that Superman needs a belt now that he doesn’t have the briefs on the outside (which I am against by the way). What is it for? Keeping energy gel packs for use? The new movie looks like he won’t be wearing the briefs either and I’m really disappointed.

• August 16, 2011 at 11:31 am — Reply

I usually don’t wear a belt to keep my underwear up – I usually wear a belt to keep my pants up, and from the images we’ve seen, it still looks like Superman is wearing pants.

• AJ
        August 16, 2011 at 11:57 am — Reply

Maybe not underwear but the old swimsuits back in the 50’s had belts on them so the waist would stay tight while flopping around in the water which is essentially what Superman’s belt did. Also, the new belt is not running through any belt loops so it obviously isn’t holding anything up. His bodysuit is all one piece. The belt serves no purpose other than they needed something to break up the upper and lower portions of his body. It really serves no purpose. At least Batman’s belt is a utility belt so even though he doesn’t or hasn’t had the briefs in the past his belt serves a functional purpose. You don’t ask why his belt isn’t holding anything up. You say “oh, that’s where he stores his gadgets.” Well, Superman doesn’t need any gadgets so why the belt?

• August 16, 2011 at 9:13 pm — Reply

What’s to say that’s not how Kryptonian armor is designed. Perhaps the belt is used to attach the two pieces together externally.

• August 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm — Reply

that’s not how Kryptonian armor is designed.

Don’t be that guy, Rob.