Marvel made the off handed comment that they planned to kill one character a month a few months ago, and everyone thought they were joking.  Turns out the company is indeed keeping their word, and in Fear Itself #6 it looks like another big character falls.

FEAR ITSELF #6 (of 7) (JUL110570)

Fear Itself #6 arrives September 14, 2011.

via Marvel

MOVIE: Eddie Murphy voices Hong Kong Phooey

REVIEW: Batgirl #24

1. brenton8090
    August 11, 2011 at 9:31 am — Reply

Hulk or Iron Man.

2. TaZ
    August 11, 2011 at 10:03 am — Reply

Just about everbody in those photos have already been dead so what’s one more trip? Matter of fact the only ones that I saw that haven’t been dead (counting Dracula, who’s technically STILL dead…like Franco) were Squirrel Girl and Luke Cage’s kid. If they off either one of them I’m really going to be pissed.

3. Gort
    August 11, 2011 at 10:36 am — Reply

They wouldn’t need to do all this if they started to produce decent books.

• Petro
      August 11, 2011 at 5:13 pm — Reply

Yeah, sorry, but that’s not true. At all.

Clearly the event books sell while a lot of better-than-decent books struggle to find an audience.

• samir
        August 12, 2011 at 12:04 am — Reply

Thats becuase ppl are brainwashed, or buy comics just becuase, but marvel stories have been horrible, theres not one single marvel book im interested in right now.

• Ricco
          August 12, 2011 at 11:05 am — Reply

Uncanny X-Force is good (I’m pretty sure I owe someone an apology for dissing that one), Journey into Mystery is a great Fear Itself tie-in (I don’t even read the main arc, this book is fun on it’s own), jury is still out on Ghost Rider but I have high hopes for it.

That said Gort’s point still stands, why? They ANNOUNCED they were killing a main character every 3 months, if that is not a shameless way to say “we are out of ideas, but keep reading to see if we kill someone you like”, I don’t know what is.

• samir
      August 12, 2011 at 12:02 am — Reply

true that

4. August 11, 2011 at 5:11 pm — Reply

They believe these are decent books. And given that their sales keep increasing, who’s to argue with that logic?

• samir
      August 12, 2011 at 12:06 am — Reply

i think most of those sales is for kids, just becuase movies are hot right now, but stories suck

• Damascus
        September 9, 2011 at 4:35 am — Reply

I can’t tell you the last time I saw a single person under 18 at my local comic shop. People buy what they think they’re supposed to be keeping up with. If it’s a big event, they want to know what’s going on and also a lot of people, myself included, continue buying because of the completionist within them that takes Paul Dini coming on a book, say Outsiders, to force them to drop a title.

A lot of really good, well done books, have been dropped because nobody is buying them. You can’t fault Marvel or DC one bit for putting out the books that sell. Not unless you want them to only publish artsy books with high brow stories that sell fewer than 3000 copies each and let them close their doors in a couple years. I’m not saying I think these books look good, the covers alone make me not interested in buying the titles, that’s just me though, it’s that same Civil War/insert any event lately from Marvel that has it’s own big border that denotes it’s part of the event. That’s a really nitpicky thing though. Oh well, I speak with my dollars, I just don’t buy them and occasionally I’ll pick up some books that I actually think look good (and sometimes I’m still way wrong).

5. aquamatt
    August 11, 2011 at 10:19 pm — Reply

How tall is Thor in that pic? 7 foot? Is that canon?

6. eric
    August 11, 2011 at 10:55 pm — Reply

Why is it taking six people to carry Thor? I would have thought Marvel would have been able to that all by herself? We can only suspend our disbelief so much until it becomes ridiculous fodder that these companies are trying to make us eat and enjoy it while licking our lips and banging our utensils on the table screaming for more more more more.

• August 11, 2011 at 11:42 pm — Reply

Maybe it’s an allusion to pallbearers.

• Rory
      August 12, 2011 at 12:20 am — Reply

Do you really need all six pallbearers to move a casket? It’s so those who were closest to him can pay their respects.

• Rory
        August 12, 2011 at 11:44 am — Reply

Weird, Brian’s comment was not there when I posted this regardless of what the time stop says. Great minds think alike and all that I guess.

• Damascus
          September 9, 2011 at 4:36 am — Reply

If you took a while to collect your thoughts and didn’t refresh the page it does that. It’s happened to me on several occasions and usually makes my point moot because someone beats me to the punch. lol