Looks like the SyFy Channel has had enough of the Eureka series, as the cable network has decided not to renew the series for another season.  To rub salt into the wound, SyFy has also decided not to order the final six-episodes that were promised/talked about a few weeks ago.

After painstaking consideration, we have had to make the difficult business decision to not order a season six of Eureka. But Eureka is not over yet. There is a new holiday episode this December and 12 stellar episodes set to debut next year, marking its fifth season and six memorable years on Syfy. The 2012 episodes are some of the best we’ve seen, and will bring this great series to a satisfying end. We are very grateful to Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia, their team of incredible writers, and an amazing cast and crew who have consistently delivered a series we continue to be very proud of. We thank the fans for their support of this show and know they will enjoy its final season in 2012.

Speaking of rubbing salt into the wound – this has to be a bad month for Andrew Cosby, co-creator of the series, and founder of BOOM! Studios, as word of the final Disney properties going back to the parent company have been released.

via Deadline

SNEAK PEEK: Image Comics for August 10, 2011

MOVIE: Disney sets two Marvel movie dates (Hulk and SHIELD?)

1. Frank
    August 9, 2011 at 8:48 am — Reply

Colin Ferguson spoke at Dragon*Con last year. He mentioned that before the actors auditioned for the roles, they had to sign a 5 year contract. Now that the 5 years are up, the network does not want to want to renegotiate and pay the actors what they are worth. The network weasels are a bunch of skinflints.

2. August 9, 2011 at 9:15 am — Reply

This weaselly behavior on SyPhy’s part is why I’ve been reluctant to watch any show on there, since sooner or later they’ll find a flimsy excuse to yank it and air yet more NCIS reruns. I know my dad will be in mourning over this announcement.

3. Xybec Katta
    August 9, 2011 at 10:17 am — Reply

This is the only thing SyFy did that I liked. Oh well, no need to watch that channel anymore.

4. Alisha Mynx
    August 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm — Reply

Oh come on, Syfy! Why are you cancelling all your good stuff?? Are you trying to turn into CW Cable?

5. The Great NateO
    August 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm — Reply

THIS SUCKS!!!!! NBC/Universal/SyFy is pissing me off. Its ok to make the monstor of the week movies for SyFy all year long but to keep a AWESOME show going, na. They did the same thing to SGU.

6. veguto
    August 9, 2011 at 1:38 pm — Reply

SyFy needs to sell it to Fox/CBS/NBC/ABC. Better than all but a select few shows on the majors.

• Frank
      August 9, 2011 at 1:45 pm — Reply

Sell Warehouse 13 too.

7. Arbor Day
    August 9, 2011 at 1:44 pm — Reply

They could find the money if they cancel that stupid Smackdown crap on fridays. If they cancel Haven on top of this I’ll be so mad.

• August 9, 2011 at 2:06 pm — Reply

Smackdown is the highest rated show on Syfy ever
      it has never not been the highest rated show on the network
      it is also the most profitable for them.

by having 2 hours of wrestling on one night a week, Syfy was able to put money into projects like Sharktopus and Warehouse 13.

I am sorry for you losing a show that you (and I) enjoyed but perhaps you need to do a bit more research before you let your nerd rage well up and make inaccurate posts.

• Damascus
        September 8, 2011 at 10:50 pm — Reply

It is a profitable show and it’s not going anywhere. I do also know, that it has absolutely nothing to do with any form of science fiction. That said though, Nickelodeon almost doesn’t have cartoons anymore, MTV features zero music and on and on. So, it’s the way it goes.

8. Adam
    August 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm — Reply

It’s happening again. I never watched Eureka, but I understand exactly what it’s fans are going through. That network is run by a bunch of hacks, who don’t give a crap about the demographic that their network is supposed to cater to.

First Atlantis, then SGU, now Eureka. I bet they’ll fill the time slot with either a reality show or more ghost hunters.

• Alisha Mynx
      August 9, 2011 at 9:44 pm — Reply

Unless it is “Ghost Hunters: Bunny Ranch” or something, I still refuse to watch it.

9. steviecool
    August 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm — Reply

Hey now, ease off on Syfy. It’s not like the name implies Science Fiction.

You’re thinking of a SciFi Channel. And maybe someone will start a SciFi Channel. Then they can show Science Fiction. Bt don’t pick on Syfy. I mean, Syfy isn’t even a word.

10. Adam
    August 10, 2011 at 6:10 am — Reply

We shouldn’t be surprised by this, it’s what they do…Farscape..”oh hey yeah go ahead and plan another season..BAM..I mean your canceled…SG1 “oh yeah you guys are great do another season…BAM…I mean your canceled” this is their M.O every time they get a new program director on NBC..”Oh it is not my show…I didn’t have anything to do with it being on air I want it gone”. They make promises to actors and producers and then renege on their word. But hey at least they have room to show Kevin Cosners Robin Hood again which of course is soooo Scifi.

11. Oldcomicfan
    August 10, 2011 at 8:00 am — Reply

I quit watching SyFy years ago – even before the name change (does anybody else think that the new name sounds like an abbreviation for a STD?). Mostly because most of the schedule was taken up with wrestling shows, shark attack specials and stupid monster movies with only an occasional sci-fi show. Of all that garbage, only the monster movies vaguely resembled science fiction, and, growing up in the late 50s and early sixties, I’ve already seen all the stupid monster movies I care to see. “Attack of the Fifty Foot Foot Fungus” and the like! Okay, I admit it, I made that last one up.