After Marvel’s big news yesterday, there was really only one way for DC/Warner Bros. to step up – announce that Laurence Fishburne will play Perry White in Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel movie.

Yup, we now know what Fishburne will be doing following his surprise exit from CBS’ CSI this past May.

Over the years, there have been a number of talented actors who have played Clark Kent’s boss at the Daily Planet, including Jackie Cooper, who played the newspaper chief in the 1978 Christoper Reeve Superman movie.  This is pretty big news, but I really wonder if they’ll make Fishburne say, “Great Caesar’s Ghost!”?

Fishburne now joins a rather impressive cast that consists of Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, and Michael Shannon.

via Entertainment Weekly

REVIEW: Kirby Genesis #2

VIDEO: Variants: Roll for Initiative

1. ikdks
    August 3, 2011 at 9:52 am — Reply

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Fishburne should play President Luthor.

2. Scott
    August 3, 2011 at 10:09 am — Reply

I could see Fishburne as Luthor, but I can definitely see him as Perry White.

And he has to say “Great Caesar’s ghost!”

• ikdks
      August 3, 2011 at 10:45 am — Reply

Yeah, of course, he’ll do great. It just seems like a missed opportunity. I always thought that the way Warner Brothers animated Luthor, he seemed multiracial. Kind of like Doc Savage, the man of bronze, his superiority is a product of his being the best of many different peoples.

Malcolm X had red hair. Maybe that’s why Luthor shaves his head. He has a deep conflict in his soul about his racial makeup that drives him to insane displays of superiority and success.

And then imagine evil Morpheus, that deep emotionless delivery of his would be menacing as hell.

Then of course we live in the age of Obama. I mean, I like the guy but a lot of people don’t. Doing an evil Obama we would play in Peoria like gangbusters.

3. August 3, 2011 at 11:10 am — Reply

Well, he may have been a cool Luthor, but he’s had a history of doing the older, mentor kind of character. Perry may come naturally to him.

Besides, isn’t Luthor supposed to be the same age as Superman?

• ikdks
      August 3, 2011 at 11:47 am — Reply

Ok, you got me there. It might have made more sense in the 90’s.

He did strangle the life out of poor Desdemona in Othello.

4. wdchefdave
    August 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm — Reply

He was “The Kid” in Apocalypse Now. And, anything he does it touched with gold. This is a good call. I loved Robbie Roberson because he wasn’t J.J.! This should balance out the movie in a very good way. And, I never watched much of the “Matrix” trilogy because it was filmed very well… but, it was pure anime come to life. And, I hate anime. He’s now too “aged” to be Luthor… and in the cartoons with Clancy Brown doing the voice… he looked multi-ethnic… and that was good!
    This should work out well. Hell, Kostner is gonna be “Pa Kent”! I’ll go see the movie just for that!
    Not the Kevin Bacon steps… yet, Apocalypse Now to Superman doesn’t take many moves for Mr. Fishburne.

5. Allen
    August 3, 2011 at 1:55 pm — Reply

Larry’s got that ominous, dead serious stare thing down pat. If that’s Perry now, so be it.

I am hoping for an actor with wider range for Luthor. And maybe make him NOT a villain just yet.

6. LazorBeems
    August 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm — Reply

For my opinion on this casting, I pull the string on the back of my talking Rodrigo doll.
    Rodrigo Sez: “I like it.”