Critical Hit: A Major Spoilers D and D podcast
Celestial Crusade

This episode: A strange shipwreck in the Astral Sea lures the party… TO THEIR DOOM!

[podcast]http://traffic.libsyn.com/majorspoilers/critical_hit_105.mp3[/podcast]

Direct Download

RSS Feed

Take the jump for the image from this episode.

Contact us at podcast@majorspoilers.com

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

Major Spoilers Podcast #324: Adapt or (Insert Word Here)

REVIEW: The Red Wing #1 (of 4)

1. July 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm — Reply

A five out of five star show.
    But what is up with Albrick’s constitution – he’s a shame to the dwarven society.
    Shame on you little man – shame.

2. Ron
    July 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm — Reply

Yes this was a very good episode. It was a relief to have Ket knock out three of the Void Godlings in the first round… Although things could still go south.

On the topic of the question I have to say that I find the whole Smith/Ket/Rob mysterious character thing irritating. It doesn’t give me more information about the character so I just end up ignoring him. I just can’t be bothered to waste my time on a character who seems to be making a point of showing how mysterious he is by not telling me about his character… I see what rob is doing and I suppose it is a way of role playing but it doesn’t add anything to the podcast… Or at least not for me.

• July 17, 2011 at 10:24 am — Reply

I may be saying too much here, but this issue you’re having is not necessarily Rob’s fault.

If Ket was a character in a book that I (or Rob) was writing you would probably know exactly what his deal was by now, the reason why you don’t is because the only person in control of Ket’s actions is Rob.
      So then, why isn’t it Rob’s fault? Because in a role-playing game players come up with goals for their characters and then pursue those, one of Rob’s goals for Ket is clearly ‘keep everyone in the dark about this’ and as long as no other characters (PCs or NPCs) successfully oppose this goal he’s going to continue to succeed. Ket has disappeared a lot, and the other PCs just keep letting it slide, and as long as that keeps happening no one’s gonna know what Ket’s deal is.
      This incidentally is what happens in properly written fiction, characters pursue their goals until they can’t anymore. Except that in that case the author has the power to say “and then enough pressure happens that the character spills the beans” in an RPG that’s not always possible.

• Jackie
        July 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm — Reply

Is there a way where we the listeners could get some insight :) That would be much appreciated but its ok if you don’t want to!

• Ron
        July 17, 2011 at 5:11 pm — Reply

No you haven’t said too much.

Yes there is a structural issue here as the RP ‘thing’ is not the same as the listening to a podcast of the RP ‘thing’. But it probably also a hot v. cool media question where you guys are working in a hot media environment and we (the listeners) are receiving it in a cool media format. Thus you guys are getting more information about Ket by virtue of gaming with Rob and knowing him while the listeners only get the podcast to work with and have to fill in the gaps. You guys supply the bricks and we supply the mortar might be a good metaphor… so the listeners are getting fewer bricks from the players/characters in the podcast than from the players/characters who Rob/Ket is gaming with while the podcast is recorded.

• July 17, 2011 at 6:48 pm — Reply

There’s another issue here which has to be addressed… Roleplay style is a very personal thing, and each of us has our own idea of what we like to do. Rob has (possibly by coincidence) played characters whose backgrounds were obscured (one by external forces, another not) and people read similarities into that factor.

That said, the actual roleplaying that Rob does as Ket is quite different than what he did as Smith, at least from my side of the table. I know that when I played Arquebus or Sir Brenzin, I made conscious choices that I hoped would be able to define the character as different based on what I was saying or doing (or NOT saying or doing.) Rob is actively trying to make Ket different from Smith from a roleplaying aspect. It’s sometimes hard to separate the character’s similar factors from the differences in their behavior, demeanor and speech patterns but its most definitely there.

Also: What fun is it if we don’t have a simmering subplot or two? :)

• Ron
            July 17, 2011 at 7:46 pm — Reply

Yes that is true and I don’t want to appear to be slagging Rob. I quite enjoy his Glaa Character. Anyway I am sure this will be elucidated in the fullness of time.

As I said great episode and I am glad Ket pretrified the Void Godlings!

• Ricco
      July 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm — Reply

I’m curious myself, I’m waiting for Orem to pull the same stunt he did with Smith way back in season one when he grabbed him and slamed him against a wall and asked for answers on who and what he was.

Great episode, for once it was Torq that game them away, Orem would be proud.

3. Jackie
    July 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm — Reply

Honestly I don’t mind if you take a break in the action but just make sure the episode is over an hour and I’ll be happy. I still sometimes re-listen to the older episodes :) when I’m missing DnD

4. Sol Hawk the Ninja
    July 18, 2011 at 9:16 am — Reply

Hey guys, HWAAAHHHH! It’s Sol Hawk the Ninja, your secret 5th member!

Congrats on another great podcast. The Godlings were probably searching for the enemies of the Void that they know about – Tork, Orem, Randus, and maybe Smith. I very much liked the fact that when the Godlings showed up on the ship that they seemed a little confused at first (were they even on the right ship?) and started digging on 7 Owls and Albrick for information (Denied!). I also thought it was pretty funny that Tork just happened to be below decks eating instead of being conveniently hanging out where they could instantly verify that they’d found their target. It was a realistic touch – since it was the original Four Against the Void who took down a lunar god and earned the ire of the Void Gods (though since He Who Shatters the Sky wanted to dominate the other Void Gods you’d think they’d be grateful, but it’s a thankless job being a hero, I guess). As for Albrick, Sir Brenzen, Glaa, 7 Owls Wise and Ket, well, I am sure it is only a matter of time before they cause some massive damage against the Void and get noticed in a major way, too. And won’t that be nice for them?

5. Beren1
    July 22, 2011 at 10:27 am — Reply

Is it just me or did Rodrigo ask Matthew to point at a miniature. Cause I can just see him doing that and being like why don’t you understand what one I mean, I did exactly what you wanted for clarification.