The first trailer for the John Carter (of Mars) movie has arrived, and I can’t be more excited to see this flick when it arrives in theaters in 2012.

John Carter is a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). John Carter is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

SDCC'11: It's Either In You, or It's Not

SOLICITATIONS: Image Comics wants you to Feel Better Now

1. Ced
    July 14, 2011 at 11:23 am — Reply

Looked good until the bad CGI martian.

• Matthew
      July 14, 2011 at 12:08 pm — Reply

cgi martian looked fine to me. this has me excited for a disney film.

• Ced
        July 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm — Reply

I don’t know, it kind of look too cartoony, something from it is bothering me.

But beside the martian, the rest of the CGI/visuals look interesting.

2. Ed
    July 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm — Reply

Notice that they never mention Mares anywhere in the trailer. Hopefully they don’t set it in some fantasy setting, however it is more likely that they are just trying to keep the whole “this movie takes place on mares” a secret.

• July 14, 2011 at 1:01 pm — Reply

Mars was dropped from the title. Word around the water cooler was because Mars Needs Moms was such a flop and Disney is hesitant to use the word Mars in movie titles because there still may be a negative perception.

• Neal
      July 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm — Reply

There is that shot of John & Dejah looking at the night sky and seeing two large bodies (a moon and perhaps Earth?)

3. StanTheMan23
    July 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm — Reply

Why is he so damn skinny?

4. Ricco
    July 14, 2011 at 4:20 pm — Reply

Myabe if I hadn’t been reading Dynamite’s “Warlord of Mars” I would be excited for this, but no.

• LowBeatBass
      July 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm — Reply

I’ve been enjoying Dynamite’s “Warlord of Mars” as well. This trailer did not see Mars-ishy enough. I’m reserving judgement until we see and know more. I am excited to see this as I am a big fan of the series.

• Damascus
        July 26, 2011 at 4:35 am — Reply

Maybe I’m not being smart here, but isn’t Mars the red planet, shouldn’t something in the topography have been red, red sands, something. Oh well. I’m gonna go ahead and predict that this movie is probably not going to flop in a way that Mars Needs Moms did, but it’ll probably be like the new Tron movie. It’s got a bit of a built in contingency but it’ll come and go without too much notice outside the genre and it’ll struggle to earn its cost of making it back. That’s my prediction. I’ll wait for more trailers to really make up my mind whether I want to see this for sure. I actually like the green martian, it’s about the only thing in the trailer that separated it from looking like Prince of Persia with space ships.

5. Ian