While DC is getting all the attention with its number one initiative, Marvel is quietly announcing a series of new series and new number ones itself.  The latest is Avengers 1959 from Howard Chaykin.

AVENGERS 1959 #1 (of 5)
Story and Art by HOWARD CHAYKIN
Can the team save the day without tearing each other apart and who else will join the ranks of Earth’s Mightiest?  Get the full story behind  Nick Fury Nick Fury led Avengers Initiative as they trek across the globe saving the entire Marvel Universe from peril, only in the action-packed Avengers 1959 #1 (of 5)!

“I’m grabbing what feels like a brass ring here, with the opportunity to do an untold story of the lost years of the Marvel Universe,” explained Chaykin. “In a follow up to the sensational stuff laid out by Brian Bendis in NEW AVENGERS, we’ll follow Nick Fury and his Avengers around the world as they track down and take down super powered survivors of the Third Reich–as their ever effort is countermanded by a mysterious agency with a dark agenda of its own.”

Avengers 1959 #1 arrives October and has a $2.99 cover price.

via Marvel

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

DIGITAL COMICS: 200 Transformers comics arrive on Android and the web TODAY!

Dark Horse announces Scary Godmother ashcan edition

1. June 23, 2011 at 8:13 am — Reply

Kraven?! Okay, my interest is piqued.

2. June 23, 2011 at 8:33 am — Reply

I only bought Bendis’ Avengers for the Avengers 1959 section. I could careless about Mockingbird and the rest. I wanted to see Nick Fury, Sabertooth, and Kraven team up to take on ex-Nazi’s in Cuba.

I have heard other sites say this is all reaction to X-Men: First Class, I’d much rather think it’s a reaction to someone playing Call of Duty: Black Ops, where it’s seeped in Cold War era missions.

3. TaZ
    June 23, 2011 at 10:32 am — Reply

Mildly interested since I was born not long after 1958 and was a kid during the height of the “Cold War”. But I’d rather see the Agents of Atlas back rather than Namorita and this crew.

• June 23, 2011 at 1:44 pm — Reply

Don’t get me wrong, I loved Agents of Atlas, but Marvel dropped the ball by making it a ongoing series. If it was another mini-series, I think it would have done well. I hope it returns someday soon. Maybe we can get Jimmy Woo to show up opposite Nick Fury or something. Who knows.

• Ricco
      June 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm — Reply

The minute I saw 1959 and Namorita I wondered why it wasn’t Agents of Atlas too. Doesn’t make sense, unless they are trying to add yet ANOTHER Avenger title, at one point all Marvel comics will be Avengers books (with Wolverine and Spider-man in all of them of course)

4. litanyofthieves
    June 23, 2011 at 11:10 am — Reply

This looks like something I could get behind… I’ll even be willing to overlook the fact that Sabretooth is involved.

5. June 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm — Reply

Honestly, I thought this the worst part of the New Avengers story that it came out of. Not buying.

• Damascus
      June 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm — Reply

6. John Carter
    June 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm — Reply

How does Howard Chaykin keep getting jobs? His art just gets uglier and uglier every year and the guy can draw TWO faces. One for woman and one for guys..Both OOOOGLY!

7. Dravis
    June 23, 2011 at 4:33 pm — Reply

Nick Fury, Sabertooth, and Kraven… that ought to hurt.
    (Yes, I saw the pretty ladies.)
    I’m very interested. Let’s see what they got.
    Mr. Chaykin rarely disappoints.
    And, he’s old enough to remember the “cold war” daze!
    Me too.

8. Gibralter
    June 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm — Reply

I think I hate Bendis now. Just keep swinging that retcon hammer Marvel.

9. juan