The DCI, the ruling body for Magic: The Gathering tournaments has banned two cards for the Standard tournament type. Stoneforge Mystic and Jace the Mind Sculptor are no longer legal for tournament play in standard, with the somewhat strange exception that, as long as you are playing with the “War of Attrition” Event Deck (and no alterations are made to it) you may still use Stoneforge Mystic in standard tournaments. This is the first time a card has been banned in Standard since 2005.
Have you come up against these two in the past? Are you happy about the change? Hit the comments section and let us know what you think.

Via Wizards of the Coast

Rodrigo

Rodrigo

Nobody really knows what Rodrigo's deal is. He is a perpetual enigma, an unknown quantity, the X factor. He's the new kid in school, the unlisted number, the person all your friends talk about, but you've never met. How can one person be so mysterious, you ask? THAT IS ALSO TOTALLY A MYSTERY! You can try to keep tabs on him on twitter by following @fearsomecritter, but that probably won't help.

SOLICITATIONS: Archie Comics for September 2011

TRAILER: Real trailer for the Muppet Movie

1. Some Dude
    June 20, 2011 at 8:56 am — Reply

Its about Flippen Time they do this… OH! I can finally take out my Jace Belerens and Dismembers from my deck and replace them with stuff that works toward my decks goal! Sweet!

2. Cliff
    June 20, 2011 at 9:16 am — Reply

Yeah, this was probably a good idea

3. litanyofthieves
    June 20, 2011 at 11:11 am — Reply

The exception to Stoneforge Mystic seems dumb, now it’s just going to cause anyone who dropped the cash on 4 mystics to all convert to the aforementioned deck. Way to make Standard even more iron-clad in its everybody plays the same 10 decks they got off the internet. Just ban the card completely and let the rage go, instead of trying to make half ass attempts at pleasing people.

• Some Dude
      June 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm — Reply

I agree with you there shouldn’t be any exceptions when it comes to banned cards and standard is boring with every one playing the same over powered decks instead of having fun and being creative

• George McBain
      June 20, 2011 at 1:19 pm — Reply

You do understand the exception here, right? They can play the Event Deck only AS IS and only at FNM. Trust me, there isn’t anything substantial to that deck to make it Tournament viable.

4. Erik Waddell
    June 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm — Reply

I’m glad they’ve done this. I’m just getting back into Magic after a long, long hiatus and I was pretty dismayed to see that so many standard decks looked exactly the same.

5. Spocktagon
    June 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm — Reply

Thumbs up from me, even if my Jace’s lose a bit of value. I’d taken to calling playing FNM as going to play Caw-Blade. So, so tired of playing the same deck for six rounds.

6. Matt Travis
    June 21, 2011 at 12:15 am — Reply

i think that this is without doubt the most ridiculous thing to happen to magic in a long time. If people could actually use their head and come up with ideas to stop the decks with Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic then they wouldn’t be losing.every deck is beatable you just need to be smarter than your opponents and have some luck

7. ZacTMac
    June 21, 2011 at 3:50 am — Reply

I think it’s strange that they decided to keep the Mystic in “Duels 2012” while they were thinking about banning it. But I personally don’t like the card much anyways.

8. Roamer145
    July 18, 2011 at 11:21 pm — Reply

I have 4 of the Mystics in a Kor/Artifact based deck. It’s a fun one to run, so I sort of see why they are banned. Especially when all 4 come up in draw quickly. I played against a friend with Jace, and it is hideously over powered. I lost in 9 rounds (he got it in his first hand.) Still, I think the Mystics could have stayed, as they aren’t too overpowered.