Action Comics is getting the relaunch, with Grant Morrison writing, and Rags Morales providing the art.  Also announced, Superman #1 with George Perez taking on the story, and Jesus Merino on art duties, Supergirl #1 by Michael Green and Mike Johnson, with Mahmud Asra on art, and Superboy #1 by Scott Lobdell with art by R.B. Silva and Rob Lean.

That’s 52 books.  Time for your comments.

ART APPRECIATION MOMENT OF THE DAY: Phil Noto

DC RELAUNCH: The List

1. June 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm — Reply

Love that cover. Can’t wait to read me some more Morrison Superman!

• Lamond 2331
      June 10, 2011 at 7:28 pm — Reply

Really dude?..that is the worst superman cover ever…

• June 11, 2011 at 8:12 am — Reply

I think it looks awesome too!

• Slappy
        June 11, 2011 at 9:16 am — Reply

Works well for me.

• Damascus
        June 13, 2011 at 3:10 am — Reply

I think it’s pretty bland, and I don’t like the rolled up pants with patches. I don’t know why, but still. I really do like the Supergirl cover, all except for where the cape crosses itself on her neck. I’d like a different clasp or something.

2. Frank
    June 10, 2011 at 4:12 pm — Reply

I like the idea of an ad-hoc costume t-shirt, jeans and boots, though the cape seems out of place.

3. June 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm — Reply

what happened to Stephanie Brown?

4. June 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm — Reply

Yeah, MiskatonicRich, that’s the one question left unanswered. Still, the Super-Books look all and all pretty cool – i’ll definitely pick up a Grant Morrison Superman book.

5. June 10, 2011 at 4:29 pm — Reply

I love that Rags Morales cover. Looks amazing, makes me nostalgic for my youth, wanting to be the man of steel. I just hope it has something to do with the interior story.

6. Thundercats' Ho
    June 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm — Reply

Action Comics cover looks great – will pick that up. Superman – Not so much. Losing the red underwear is probably long overdue, but the 90s era boots and piping on his costume looks ridiculous.

• June 11, 2011 at 1:03 pm — Reply

Yeah…. he is looking uncomfortably retro and armor plated… kinda like a proto Superboy Prime armor…

7. brainypirate
    June 10, 2011 at 4:53 pm — Reply

Even bigger than Stephanie Brown: Donna Troy. Jurgens says its not her in JLI.

• brainypirate
      June 10, 2011 at 4:58 pm — Reply

(and obviously, Power Girl, Huntress, the JSA — I just think many people assumed Donna was on the JLI cover and didn’t realize she was MIA)

8. aquamatt
    June 10, 2011 at 7:57 pm — Reply

Oh no, Superman looks awful. Worse than a thrown-together alternate timeline version. This hasn’t really been thought through very well, DC.

9. K. Kortekaas
    June 10, 2011 at 8:18 pm — Reply

GAH no Booster Standalone! what am I to do!

10. Allen2saint
    June 10, 2011 at 8:30 pm — Reply

New costume is unnecessarily ornatenwith the boots and belt details. Supergirl looks great though!

• Young
      June 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm — Reply

Yes, I definitely love the new Supergirl look – much better than the previous short T and mini-skirt. One thing that doesn’t quite work for me from the new uniform is the cape collar, but overall, very nice.

• silvergray
      June 11, 2011 at 9:25 am — Reply

Supergirl’s costume, really?

Personally, I think it’s a bit complicated for my taste. At least the old one (the one before this) had a simplicity to it that made for instant recognition, despite all the shortness.

Of course, i’m still a big fan of the original one piece that she wore when she left the rocket in 1959’s action comics 252.

• Allen
        June 11, 2011 at 4:36 pm — Reply

I don’t think I can even recall what that was! If you can, send a link.

I prefer this look to the t-shirt or the open midriff thing. I mean, if part of this reset is to appeal to and empower women readers( at least, if they’re smart, thats part of the reset) then this is a good choice. She looks like a legit superhero, rather than a stripper.

• silvergray
          June 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm — Reply

The 1959 one can be found here:

and the modern one I was referring to was the “stripper” one (the midriff thing) which is mostly a riff on the original 1959 one. Basically they just took out the midriff (ok they added gold lining to the cape and “belled” her sleeves too, but if you put the midriff back in, it’s pretty much the original 1959 one.)

I used to be a fan of the Helen Slater look with the red skirt but she looked too much like her cousin in that one. Which is partly why the red c-string panty thing she’s wearing in this new #1 bothers me.

Her boots change all the time, even within the same costume “era” so these busy-looking ones will vanish soon, I expect. (too distracting)

As for the collar, um… Why does she need that? Symbolically speaking isn’t that like one step from having a leash attached to her? Ok maybe it’s more the “I’m royalty” type of thing… I guess. Kind of an extension of the cape symbol-wise…

Ok, I could live with the a collar being there, but the rest… *sigh* Too much. Too much. Not in terms of amount of clothing, mind you. It’s just too all over the place. Too many lines and color assignments.

Think of it this way, ask a kid to draw Superman and they make the red briefs and cape, plus blue suit and S . Ta-da Superman. Ask them to draw THIS Supergirl, they might need a reference pic to get it right. (Those boots!)

11. mark harris
    June 11, 2011 at 9:03 am — Reply

I like the new costumes, but they need to ditch the cape on Supe’s Blue Collar costume. If he showed up on the work site in that, he’d get the beat down. lol

• Young
      June 11, 2011 at 3:07 pm — Reply

My own take on that particular cover is that Superman is actually wearing a red scarf – ok, so he’s wearing a T-shirt, but notice the wool socks/long-johns – it might be winter :-D

12. June 11, 2011 at 11:11 am — Reply

So how long does this last this time? We get all the #1 relaunches, we get all the costume redesigns and 5 or 6 years from now we’re back to what it’s always been. Few years after that we have a universe ending cataclysm like we’ve never seen before and start the cycle all over again.

I grew up reading DC and loved the big three of Superman, Batman and Green Lantern. With all the universe ending, mutli-crossover, new book every week stories I’m just tired and don’t even feel like keeping up with them any more. I want to buy and read comics but there’s just too much going on.

13. Stephen Yates
    June 11, 2011 at 6:39 pm — Reply

Agree that it will last 9 years tops – till we get close to action 1000.

14. Rob
    June 11, 2011 at 10:12 pm — Reply

Dude, that isn’t a cape, someone’s scarf just ran away and conveniently got stuck…behind a dude facing…a giant..roc–ah hell, I got nothin.
    HOWEVER, it looks awesome, and Rags deserves a chance to kick ass like this again. Man hasn’t had a chance to play with Supes in awhile, right? Let him do his thing. It’ll look better than anything you or I could put out.

15. Ashen
    June 13, 2011 at 8:49 am — Reply

So this Action comics relaunch will run for 95 issues and then revert back at issue 1000. Why bother.

DC’s big plan is to remove his red shorts from his costume and that’s going to draw in new readers? You know I never read Superman comics before, but now that the red shorts are gone I am really excited to pick this up!

16. Leroy Grey